SpazApproved

I'm filling in for this 90s band again next week and while I was just running through some of their songs I just felt compelled to turn on the mis and camera and record this drum cover. It's such a simple straight forward song but I just love it. What do you think?

Two bands ago we covered this song. I always liked it. It's easy to play but requires a little finesse and feel. At first, you have to play really quiet and reserved; almost invisible. During the chorus you have to hit hard with sharp, crisp hits. Then... when it goes back to the soft part, you have to lighten up and turn invisible again. I found it to be a lot of fun. The trick is being careful not to speed up on the chorus. Hit harder, but don't speed up. It's easy to do.

Two bands ago we covered this song. I always liked it. It's easy to play but requires a little finesse and feel. At first, you have to play really quiet and reserved; almost invisible. During the chorus you have to hit hard with sharp, crisp hits. Then... when it goes back to the soft part, you have to lighten up and turn invisible again. I found it to be a lot of fun. The trick is being careful not to speed up on the chorus. Hit harder, but don't speed up. It's easy to do.
Agreed, my band also plays it and it was the first song I learned playing 2 'fast' 16ths on the kick drum.
The song is pretty basic with just a couple of fills, but it is easy to start speeding up on the choruses, my bands also tends to do that.
That being said, the original by Radiohead wasn't played to a click either ;)

Last edited:
Agreed, my band also plays it and it was the first song I learned playing 2 'fast' 16ths on the kick drum.
The song is pretty basic with just a couple of fills, but it is easy to start speed up on the choruses, my bands also tend to do that.
That being said, the original by Radiohead wasn't played to a click either ;)

I did the same thing with the kick drum with "fast" 16th notes where it fit. When I was feeling lazy, I'd skip the bass drum and play the same pattern with my left hand on the snare. No one was ever the wiser! :)

I did the same thing with the kick drum with "fast" 16th notes where it fit. When I was feeling lazy, I'd skip the bass drum and play the same pattern with my left hand on the snare. No one was ever the wiser! :)
LOL! That was also how I played it when I was still goofing around getting the 2 bass notes sounding right!

Reactions: A J
LOL! That was also how I played it when I was still goofing around getting the 2 bass notes sounding right!

I guess it's true. Great minds think alike! :)

Last week a friend was asking about drumming, how I got into it and what's it like. I was quick to point out that I'm really not that accomplished, even though I've been playing for decades. The only thing I've been good at is mastering the simple stuff. The song "Creep" is a great example. Even a beginner level drummer with good timing can cover this tune. A pro, however; will take it to the next level. You and I will immediately recognize the pro's drumming. We've got an ear for it. Most people in the audience won't know the difference.

I guess it's true. Great minds think alike! :)

Last week a friend was asking about drumming, how I got into it and what's it like. I was quick to point out that I'm really not that accomplished, even though I've been playing for decades. The only thing I've been good at is mastering the simple stuff. The song "Creep" is a great example. Even a beginner level drummer with good timing can cover this tune. A pro, however; will take it to the next level. You and I will immediately recognize the pro's drumming. We've got an ear for it. Most people in the audience won't know the difference.
True. I'm also more a groove player than a flashy fill monster.
Playing fills, a lot of crashing and songs with many tom hits are great.
But in general I prefer keeping it more simple: bass, snare, hihat, adding some double kicks and ghosts notes to keep it interesting.

Reactions: A J
yeah this song is just a great straight groove but as mentioned easy to get carried away with tempo!! But man so nice to just get lost into the song and just veg out and drum....

Back