Rack Tom mounting

John G

Thanks for having me in the group. I just purchased a long awaited 8x12 Tom for my 68 Ludwigs. My kit has a virgin 24” bass drum. My 13” Tom was on a stand. I’m looking for a way to be able to use my toms without drilling and mounting hardware. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thanks

John G

harryconway

Platinum Member
RIMS mounts are what I use. Ludwig 12x8 and 13x9 pictured. Used this system with several sets of vintage drums .... because yes, you don't want to drill any extra holes.

Attachments

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Either I or Harry are misreading your question. I'm thinking that you want a way to mount both Tom's w/o drilling your bass drum. Right?

If that is the case, there are two ways to do it easily. Buy two auxiliary Tom mounts adapters with L-rods the same size as the holes in your Tom mount receivers on the side of your Tom's (9, 10, or 12mm). Clamp the adapters to two cymbal stands, then hang your Tom's from the L-rods. Now, just position the toms where you want them over the bass drum.

Alternatively, buy a double tom mount stand with the right size L rods. Mount both Tom's on this one stand, then position them as close to one side of the bass drum as possible. Done.

You can buy the Tom mount adapters or the double Tom stand from Gibraltar dealers, eBay, Amazon, online music stores or local stores.

GeeDeeEmm

John G

RIMS mounts are what I use. Ludwig 12x8 and 13x9 pictured. Used this system with several sets of vintage drums .... because yes, you don't want to drill any extra holes.
Thanks Harry are you also in the champagne sparkle group? Look like your showing me what I’m looking for. Can you give me any more details or sources as to where I can get some of this stuff? I just started playing again after 35 years and I’ve gotten use to 2 rack toms on one of my other kits. Would really love to bring out my Ludwig kit. I feel very fortunate that I was able to find a 12“ Tom. I‘m also looking for a 14 or 18” floor Tom, but any that I’ve come across cost more than my whole kit did in 68. Thanks for your input.

John G

Either I or Harry are misreading your question. I'm thinking that you want a way to mount both Tom's w/o drilling your bass drum. Right?

If that is the case, there are two ways to do it easily. Buy two auxiliary Tom mounts adapters with L-rods the same size as the holes in your Tom mount receivers on the side of your Tom's (9, 10, or 12mm). Clamp the adapters to two cymbal stands, then hang your Tom's from the L-rods. Now, just position the toms where you want them over the bass drum.

Alternatively, buy a double tom mount stand with the right size L rods. Mount both Tom's on this one stand, then position them as close to one side of the bass drum as possible. Done.

You can buy the Tom mount adapters or the double Tom stand from Gibraltar dealers, eBay, Amazon, online music stores or local stores.

GeeDeeEmm
Thanks Gee my toms have no mounts on them I have to most likely use rim mounts and mount them on cymbal stands I guess. Thanks for your input.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Thanks Harry are you also in the champagne sparkle group?
No, I'm actually in the ambered "natural maple" group.
Look like your showing me what I’m looking for. Can you give me any more details or sources as to where I can get some of this stuff? I just started playing again after 35 years and I’ve gotten use to 2 rack toms on one of my other kits. Would really love to bring out my Ludwig kit. I feel very fortunate that I was able to find a 12“ Tom. I‘m also looking for a 14 or 18” floor Tom, but any that I’ve come across cost more than my whole kit did in 68. Thanks for your input.
Well .... you've got a lot of choices when it comes to suspension mounts, including Ludwig (Vibra-band suspension units, Triad Brackets, 12.55mm mounting clamps). Example here .... https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/classic-maple-aged-exotic

The other Ludwig solution would be the Atlas Tom mounting system. Example here ... https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/classic-maple

I'm partial to Yamaha hardware, and I have Gauger RIMS (original version) in all the sizes I need, so I attached Yamaha tom mounts to my RIMS, and with that simple step, I can mount any drum I own onto a Yamaha tom holder.

And with that, probably the most affordable might be the Gibraltar suspension mount and necessary clamp and hardware.

I just sold a 14x14 (Thermogloss) ..... yeah, they are pricey. You might find an 18x16 cheaper, actually.

Attachments

vyacheslav

You could try to the Ludwig Atlas mounts. You replace the lug with the Atlas mount/lug. The mounting holes are adjustable to accommodate a wide variety of lug sizes. The only drawback is that it can make it a little tight when fitting into a case.

Attachments