Rack setup with only one Tom?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Hey gang,
So I have been going back and forth with using stands vs. a rack. I have to say, I LOVE my rack. However I haven't found a good configuration for it when only using 1 mounted Tom. When using 2 or more, it's perfect. While at a gig last week (using 2 mounted Toms) I decided I didn't really need both, and thus could drop down to 1 for this particular band. But I still want to use my rack.
Anyone here use a rack with only 1 up? Post some pics and give me some ideas for a setup.

Here's mine with both toms mounted:

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I do not have a rack, but I always play with "one up." I see no reason why you cannot use your rack. Gibraltar has good videos on Youtube. Search for Gibraltar one up one down. There are two of those videos, and he shows many ways to set it up. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
Hey gang,
So I have been going back and forth with using stands vs. a rack. I have to say, I LOVE my rack. However I haven't found a good configuration for it when only using 1 mounted Tom. When using 2 or more, it's perfect. While at a gig last week (using 2 mounted Toms) I decided I didn't really need both, and thus could drop down to 1 for this particular band. But I still want to use my rack.
Anyone here use a rack with only 1 up? Post some pics and give me some ideas for a setup.

Here's mine with both toms mounted:
Just wanted to say, that's a very nice setup! They look like Yamaha Live Custom series drums. I've heard them before, and they're really loud, but in a good (musical) way!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think at times a rack is better than multiple stands for cymbals. Three legs on each can get a bit difficult to navigate.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Put that ride cymbal down where your second rack tom is, and you'll never be the same. I remember one of the first times I did that, and I said, "Man, that feels perfect!" That was probably almost 20 years ago, and I've not looked back since.

donzo74

Put that ride cymbal down where your second rack tom is, and you'll never be the same. I remember one of the first times I did that, and I said, "Man, that feels perfect!" That was probably almost 20 years ago, and I've not looked back since.
Got to agree. I haven't played with my ride over the floor tom like that for about 30 years now but I started out like that. I removed the second tom, slid the ride over in it's place and slid the crash over to the right. My right shoulder would probably have pulled out of the socket by now if I hadn't done that.

donzo74

Great kit, BTW! Rack or stands, 1 or 2 up, the Yamahas look great and will get the job done! I just rock a 4 piece most nights and I get everything hung on 2 cymbals stands. High tom, cymbal, splash and cowbell on one stand; low tom, ride, crash and china on the other. No clutter, not much to carry around and hardly any time to set up. The rack looks cool though, so do what you gotta do to hang everything where you want it.

Ransan

Dig the Antichrist Superstar (electric shock) logo - Rackem!
As a teen, I had the flag with that logo as a tapestry ordered from Old Glory.

beatdat

How about a Gibraltar stealth rack for your tom, snare and a cymbal?

All the benefits of a rack, none of the detriments.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
When I do a 1 up set-up that's where I put my Ride (see photo), but its always been with stands. I'm after this same style 1up set up, ride over the kick, but with a rack. Ya know?