Rack experts

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
What brand is Nick using on his DW kit here? I didn't notce any brand marking on the pipes.

The front & side bar look slightly curved as well.

thumbnail_nick-mason-favorite-syd-songs.jpg

I just noticed he has an external muffler on the reso head of rack toms 3+4. There is a moongel also on toms 2+3. Tom 1 has nothing. I cant see tom 5 well enough to tell.

Great eyes guys thanks.

As far as the external muffling on the reso goes, I've never really seen that done quite like that on rack toms. Could it be a cross talk issue with bass drum proximity and the other mics?

Maybe Andy or Bo could shed some light. They have years of experience with live sound issues.

Last edited:
Ooooohhhhhhhh, you mean drum racks...

Sorry, wrong thread. I know nothing about drum racks. ;)

Great eyes guys thanks.

As far as the muffling on the bottom goes, I've never really seen that done quite like that on toms. Could it be a cross talk issue with other mics?
No idea but I find it perplexing. One of the worlds biggest players damps the reso head. Seems counter intuitive, but I'm sure he has a fantastic reason.

No idea but I find it perplexing. One of the worlds biggest players damps the reso head. Seems counter intuitive, but I'm sure he has a fantastic reason.

This may be his tech, not him.

Sometimes you have to do weird things to get the sound you want out of the PA. Even though I like my toms wide open with no muffling, I use Snareweights on all of my toms and my snare to get rid of any sympathetic ringing. I know I could probably fix this with compression/gates, but why? Just use a Snareweight and don't worry about it. It's all about signal chain for me.

I find that sometimes the reso heads on toms resonate for too long and clutter up the mix. Moon gels don't help the reso head, so those mufflers are just the ticket.

Back