Quiet drumming: Flix Sticks vs Lidwish Ultra-Tones vs 7As

Metorn

The drums are loud, sometimes are much too loud. You can't hear the music to play along, you damage your ears , your family and neighbours are unhappy.

Neighbours problems can be fixed by extensive and expensive sound proofing of the room.
What I couldn't find are any good topics or reviews on the subject of the the "quiet" sticks or playing techniques to keep it well under 100Db.

So far these two companies are claiming that they have solved the problem:
Flix Sticks: http://www.flixproducts.com/
Ultra Tones: http://lidwishsoulutions.com/

Has anyone tried them yet, separate or side by side and can share his thoughts?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
The Lidwish sticks look interesting, I ordered a pair and will report back.

Keep in mind that 'sticks' like the Flix and Hot Rods change the sound, they aren't just a volume reducer. The Flix does have a flexible plastic stick surrounded by plastic rods, but it's not really a true stick sound. None of them actually play or sound like sticks do, so while the volume may be lower, the drums will also sound different.

What I do when I need to play quietly is to use thinner sticks. The Vic Firth AJ5 is thin, but it's also a long stick, so I get a good feel. I select different cymbals to help reduce their volume, and adjust my playing style somewhat, without sacrifing too much energy. I may also bring specific drums and tune them a little lower so they don't have as much attack (which is perceived as volume.)

Don't forget, in order to reduce drum volume, typically, we have to adjust the way we play and that may sacrifice feel, steadiness, speed, and of course the drum sound. By modifying the sticks, cymbals and drums, we can play more naturally and retain more of the drum sound.

Bermuda

Shark Pit

I shipped out the sticks to Bermuda (the Version 2.0) and feel comfortable with the claims made on my website at http://lidwishsoulutions.com

The Classic Sticks are more for those extreme-gotta-be-quiet-or-die situations with landlords, neighbors, family in small quarters, and impending ear drum damage. Those are the quietest, and the Version 2.0 are still way under 100 db and is good for small gigs, band practice without blowing your bandmates out and churches, worship services, etc., There is a recent review on our facebook page "quiet drum sticks" from our very first customer, who is still using the first pair we sold over two years ago, so they don't wear out or break easily. Check out my website, read the comments and testimonials, ask questions, or join me on facebook! Aloha!

jayu

I'd go with the lidwish version 1. The Hot Rods never worked for me. The lidwish is little bouncy but still feels more like a drumstick. But they work for me. I use them when my band plays acoustic.

Shark Pit

I'd go with the lidwish version 1. The Hot Rods never worked for me. The lidwish is little bouncy but still feels more like a drumstick. But they work for me. I use them when my band plays acoustic.
Both stick versions increase and decrease your sound dynamic in an instant while maintaining whatever tempo you're playing at. This unique feature makes ultra-tones truly one of a kind. The Version 2.0 sticks are less flexy, stiffer, and the volume is drummer dependent.

denisri

Silver Member
Learn to play quiet..use smaller thinner sticks...it takes a lot of control to play quiet. Practice playing work at making the Hi-Hat the loudness instrument on your set. count out loud so that your playing is the same volume as your kit! Denis

Metorn

The Lidwish sticks look interesting, I ordered a pair and will report back.
Thanks! I'll be waiting for the report.

I shipped out the sticks to Bermuda (the Version 2.0) and feel comfortable with the claims made on my website at http://lidwishsoulutions.com
Hi! I've looked trhough the reviews on your website. They do look good. I was just surprised
that nobody have reviewd them in details here or on any other drum forums, which would be less biased overall.

In any case a have a set of 7As on hands and flix stiks in the mail. I'll do a comparison on them as soon as they arrive. And maybe will put a trigger on ultra tones as well.

Shark Pit

Thanks! I'll be waiting for the report.

Hi! I've looked trhough the reviews on your website. They do look good. I was just surprised
that nobody have reviewd them in details here or on any other drum forums, which would be less biased overall.

In any case a have a set of 7As on hands and flix stiks in the mail. I'll do a comparison on them as soon as they arrive. And maybe will put a trigger on ultra tones as well.
http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-forums/index.php?showtopic=9471&start=0&p=164683&#entry164683

There was some recent discussion here on freedrumlessons. Several forums have mentioned the sticks.

Shark Pit

It is a good advertisement :)
But what can you tell about my original question: Flix Sticks vs Lidwish Ultra-Tones vs 7As? What would be the pros and cons?
I cannot give you the comparison information on the flix sticks or the 7A's - just my own sticks. I make the liswish soulutions Classics and the Version 2.0 - and the kick beaters. I think Bermuda will be doing the comparison between the "quiet" models.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
I picked up a pair of Flix Tips this weekend and used them at church on Sunday. I had been using Regal Tip Blasticks but was unhappy with the cymbal sound I was getting. The Flix Tips help out a lot with that issue. That's the first time I was able to use the acoustic kit (they also have a Roland kit) and not feel as if I were overpowering everything. I am very curious about the Ludwish product. I'll definitely be checking them out.

Shark Pit

Now that Bermuda has returned from his most recent engagement, I am hoping he has the chance review the Lidwishsoulutions Ultra-Tones - While the plastic multi-rods you had video of are probably effective for a number of applications, mine are designed specifically for low volume required situations, while maintaining drum note integrity, rebound and are true drumsticks and made in the USA.

The reviews on our website pretty much spell out our customer experience, and if they get someone back on their acoustic drum kit after a decade, doesn't scare the cats in their home, keeps domestic tranquility and enables practice and play for band practice, church and worship services, recording and live play - I've done my job. I invented them because it was exactly what I needed to keep my landlord happy. That was over 2 years ago, and I've developed several versions. I started making the version 2.0 because the Classics were too quiet, almost "stupid" quiet, but certain situations required the super quiet version.

I hope you have the opportunity to try them and add to your review. I'm always available by email or phone to answer any questions. (unless I'm surfing...then I'll call you back :)

Aloha!

Lazaro

http://lidwishsoulutions.com
http://www.facebook.com/Lidwish.Soulutions

Metorn

I wish I would be closer to Hawaii. I could compare and review them all side by side.. or at least do some surfing [:)]

Metorn

I picked up a pair of Flix Tips this weekend and used them at church on Sunday. That's the first time I was able to use the acoustic kit (they also have a Roland kit) and not feel as if I were overpowering everything.
What type of Flix Tips was that? How did it compare to the normal sticks in rebound/genral feel?

Shark Pit

I wish I would be closer to Hawaii. I could compare and review them all side by side.. or at least do some surfing [:)]
We ship worldwide, so that shouldn't be a problem. The surfing and weather is one of the benefits of living here, despite the high cost of living. If you are in the islands, on Maui, call me and we can work both out.

Aloha!

Lazaro

Last edited:

Fuzrock

Silver Member
What type of Flix Tips was that? How did it compare to the normal sticks in rebound/genral feel?
Check out this link http://www.flixproducts.com/productstips.html
All they had at my local drum shop was the light or heavy versions so I went with the heavy one. The light ones were just not substantial enough. The heavy ones apparently only come in "florescent red" but they are actually "hot pink" in color. Whatever. Pink isn't really my favorite color but they did the trick for me. I also got the guy at the local shop here to call and see if he could get some of the Lidwish Ultra-Tones in to the store. I really don't want to throw $30 away just to try them.

Shark Pit

Check out this link http://www.flixproducts.com/productstips.html
All they had at my local drum shop was the light or heavy versions so I went with the heavy one. The light ones were just not substantial enough. The heavy ones apparently only come in "florescent red" but they are actually "hot pink" in color. Whatever. Pink isn't really my favorite color but they did the trick for me. I also got the guy at the local shop here to call and see if he could get some of the Lidwish Ultra-Tones in to the store. I really don't want to throw $30 away just to try them.
I'm curious why you believe you would be "throwing away" $30 to try them? I

Fuzrock

Silver Member
I'm curious why you believe you would be "throwing away" $30 to try them? I
Because if they didn't turn out to be what I thought they were, I wouldn't need them and that would would be a waste of $30. Please don't take it as a slam. I am very interested in trying them out. It would just be a lot easier if my local shop stocked them.