Quick roger question..

So i was talking to a customer of mine that has played the same Gretsch kit since the 60's and he mentioned he had a rogers snare laying on shelf for like 20 years now.. he brought it in and handed it to me, told me use it as long as i want, It's in good shape and i want to take it all apart and polish it though, no pitting or anything so it should come out like new..

I know to be very careful with that snare frame but are these prone to any other issues i should be worried about? thanks guys...

Serial 12046.. will see if i can find a year, out of curiousity.

y0cbGyi7Ee3Ckf43pMkzjU3BC74e4xgMgaby6MWQMXQ

"Rogers" and "snare frame" could only be a Dynasonic.

Not aware of ANY issues to be concerned with that you wouldn't have with any other COB snare drum. Use some care (due to the age mostly), and the proper products and you be fine.

Early models will have a ROGERS "script" (cursive writing) badge, newer ones (up to the early 80s) will have a single large "R" badge. Depending on some other factors and where you look, that serial number *could* be 1967-68 manufacture.

Here is a video on a late 60s model to give you some background-

https://youtu.be/kmFFzYF-2dI

Last edited:
Old Rogers drums are great stuff. Unfortunately, at least around here, they ended up with a pretty lackluster reputation due to the Brook Mays era.

Thanks guys, yeah it has the smaller angled rogers script, still has the original heads but are nasty, going to figure what to order to put on it, thanks for the nfo :)

Rogers Dynasonic's are some of the tweakiest snares you'll ever encounter.

I have yet to play one with the snare frame that sounded OK.

I have retrofitted one using Fat Cat pitched snares and a zero collar Remo head and it is quite pleasing.

I've had folks that say you need to have it dialed in to sound good,but why should it be such a hassle to spend so much time trying to get it right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2NgnalJ38Y

Thanks guys, yeah it has the smaller angled rogers script, still has the original heads but are nasty, going to figure what to order to put on it, thanks for the nfo :)

A script-badge Rogers Dynasonic is a pretty valuable snare drum-especially if you have all the parts.

Depending on your relationship with this customer it may behoove you to see if he wants to "let it go"...

Coated Diplomat over Ambassador Snare Side. Carefully set the head level to finger tight. Two full turns on top. Two and a half on bottom. Done. If you set finger tight correctly, you wont even need to adjust.

The frame....... if the original wires are compromised... Puresound Dyna-Sonic 1416 or Fat Cat Dyna-Sonic 1416 wires will do just fine. Your drum has a Generation Three frame... so no adjustment or modification of the wire set will be necessary. Install the new wires. Butt first. Attach with the fastener, then do the tension end. The wires should lay fairly flat on the frame. Tension will be only finger tight, that which is needed to lay the wires down and make them sing. No more.

Set the frame on the bottom head, centered. String the butt side first, tighten. String the throw side, and then adjust the LIFT of the frame to the head with the throw engaged.

The Throw off has nothing to do with snare tension. It only provides lift of the frame to the head. Tension of the wire set is accomplished by the tension screw on the frame.
This is one of the simplest designs to get a great sound from. People who think other wise... didn't really bother to learn the drum. In my opinion. I have yet to play one that disappointed when it was properly set up. I own 17 of them.
Your drum was made in later 1967 to early 1968. Internal fasteners will be slotted round head machine screws. Black felt on dampener. It was made in Covington Ohio during the Dayton paper tag era. Shell is brass. Please, no steel wool.

Wow john.. you just answered every question i couldn't find on google...

Spent about 3 hours, totally disassembled, mothers polish, reassembled.. took pic after it got covered in dust in 3 seconds:) Thing is in amazing shape and i am very impressed with the quality of design that rogers used..

I didn't take the snares off the frame, they are original and didn't see a reason to.. as for setting up the frame.. pretty straight forward only thing different from all the pics i see is that each end of the frame on this has elastic bands that pull the frame down when it's disengaged. probably not needed but i put them back.. I love this snare setup, it's pretty straight forward and only took a couple of minutes to tweak.,

Stuck a ambassador on it for now, going to find what aquarians diplomat equivalent is and order that and a new snare side.

Thanks a ton guys.. so far i love this snare and if i don't end up with this one it will be my goal to own one myself :)

P.S. thanks for the tuning tips, that was a little high for me, turned back 1/4 turn and loving it.. it seems impossible to make this thing sound bad which is the opposite of all myother snares :)

ZhYHBmwhi4umF3q8uQMJRUa7y8ObsZcDU_X2uGDQTww

Last edited:
So.. i have had this drum for almost a week.. been playing it 2-3 hours a night and LOVE it.. this is my first drum with an internal muffler which i really like.. the only issue is that i have to readjust it every song like half a turn tighter, obviously the vibration is just backing off the screw.. any quick fixes? or a stronger spring? i really hate to take the assembly apart after all these years though :)

sort of on topic: i have a 64-65 Rogers Tower series snare that I wound up with for free. A friend had a co-worker who needed somewhere to store a "jazz kit". I had space so i said sure. the drums were just some low-end Japanese brand (can't think of brand off top of my head) but the snare was the Rogers. It sat in my space for a few years until finally i broke out the snare and started doing some research. Used it as my gig snare now for 3+ years - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

sort of on topic: i have a 64-65 Rogers Tower series snare that I wound up with for free. A friend had a co-worker who needed somewhere to store a "jazz kit". I had space so i said sure. the drums were just some low-end Japanese brand (can't think of brand off top of my head) but the snare was the Rogers. It sat in my space for a few years until finally i broke out the snare and started doing some research. Used it as my gig snare now for 3+ years - LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

Thats awesome :) i have only owned a few snares but nothing makes me love sitting at my kit like this thing.. it's just perfect to me..

I have one and it's my "Safe Queen" snare. Never leaves the house as the thought of it getting stolen would turn me into a John Wick over his dog really fast.
I named it Fat Boy as it weighs a ton. The sound of it is beyond crisp and clean and it just works with every drum set up config I can think of.

It's just perfect.

I'll definitely look into the tuning tips offered here. Great stuff, Sir!

Yeah it's the only thing i have been playing for a couple of weeks now.. totally love it. If this guy asks for it back i will find another for sure :)

I have one and it's my "Safe Queen" snare. Never leaves the house as the thought of it getting stolen would turn me into a John Wick over his dog really fast.
I named it Fat Boy as it weighs a ton. The sound of it is beyond crisp and clean and it just works with every drum set up config I can think of.

It's just perfect.

I'll definitely look into the tuning tips offered here. Great stuff, Sir!

Back