Quick question - Fusion or rock sized kit for me?

devildriver1

I'm still trying to get a decent used drumkit and I came across one but its a fusion sized kit - 22" bass drum, 10"+12" rack toms, 14" floor tom and 14 snare.

I'm hoping to play mainly rock and metal in the future and since I've decided to get semi decent drums I want to make sure my sizes are suitable. Are there many rock/metal drummers using these smaller sizes or are they used almost exclusively by jazz/fusion artists?

Thanks

I'm still trying to get a decent used drumkit and I came across one but its a fusion sized kit - 22" bass drum, 10"+12" rack toms, 14" floor tom and 14 snare.

I'm hoping to play mainly rock and metal in the future and since I've decided to get semi decent drums I want to make sure my sizes are suitable. Are there many rock/metal drummers using these smaller sizes or are they used almost exclusively by jazz/fusion artists?

Thanks

They are by no means the just for jazz/fusion. Lots of guys use the smaller drums. The higher pitch allows them to speak in a mix and not be buried in the low end of a mix. I would thing they wouldbe fine for a rock setting. They may be a little undergunned for the aggressive modern metal styles though.

You don't have to pigeonhole a kit and say that it's not suitable for a particular style. You could really play either style with that kit. So it would be a R-usion kit or a Fock-kit. umm... say that ten times fast.

yeah loads of fusion sized kits sound good when tuned agressively for high end punch. and you get better positioning over the base drum if your gettinga 22" because i always feel that 12" and 13" toms over a 22" just dont fit.

you could also get an add on pack with another base and/or lower toms 16"or 18"

yeah loads of fusion sized kits sound good when tuned agressively for high end punch. and you get better positioning over the base drum if your gettinga 22" because i always feel that 12" and 13" toms over a 22" just dont fit.

I think they fit well over a 20" bass drum as well. Plus, the punchier kick sound of a 20" drum might match the sound of the smaller drums a little better. But, it's all opinion. Explore all the options you can and find what YOU like best.

...and when you get your kit, come back and post pics!

I play on a fusion kit and play rock with no problems. Heads also help but can get the 14" floor nice and deep but at the same time get the toms to cut through if needed.

Fusion is awesome actually. alot of your metal drummers play with smaller high pitched toms on the rack because they peirce through the music really well.

Check out Matt Greiner's kit from august burns red, he plays HEAVY, and he uses 10" 12" 16" 20"(bass)

In my ideal world I’d get 10”, 12”, 14”, 16” toms and a 22” bass drum. A 20” bass drum would be fun to experiment with though.

It's more about the sound you want than your genre. Smaller sizes can work for heavy music, just as larger sizes can work for mellow music. In terms of preference, I always play a 12", 16", 22" configuration. There's no application for which I'd alter that arrangement. It functions just fine for reserved and high-voltage gigs alike and conforms to every recording scenario I encounter. I don't foresee myself straying from it for any reason.

Those aren't particularly "smaller" sizes except maybe the 14 instead of 16 FT.
10/12/16/22 may be the most widely used 3-tom setup there is.

Here's "Rudi" being all heavy on a 10/12/14/16

Come on guys! It doesn’t get more metal than this 10, 12, 14, 16, 2x22…or does it?!:unsure:😂(y)
Certainly checks all the boxes. Since I'm a 2 floor tom guy .... (refering in part to the OP's post) ...... having a 14" floor would immediately have me looking for a matching 16" (I'd even use an 18"). Having just a 16" floor tom kicks me into the search for a matching 14" or an 18".

As long as "everything's louder than everything else" ...... it's suitable for metal;)

Thanks
I have that same sized kit starclassic Performers. I play classic rock and country and I'm a wannabe metal drummer lol but they work just fine. I've got Evans EC2 clear drum heads on all of the toms and they're tuned relatively low and sound really good.

I you plan on playing Rock/Metal, you'll want a 16" floor tom. A 14" won't cut it IMO.

Back