quick question about cymbals

robyn64

took bo's advise and am checking out ebay, looking for a zildjian A custom 16" crash. my question is; what is the difference between that cymbal and the A custom projection? is the projection louder? thanks

It's a little louder,and a little thicker in weight,I'd say a medium thin to medium,and the hammering may be slightly different also.Hope this helps.:)

Steve B

It's a little louder,and a little thicker in weight,I'd say a medium thin to medium,and the hammering may be slightly different also.Hope this helps.:)

Steve B

yep pretty much answers my question, thanks steve.

Thicker, louder and more obnoxious. I own 18" and 20" AC and AC Projections.....I'd call the Projections closer to medium thickness. Great for really laying in to in louder situations, but IMHO not as glassy and musical as the standard AC's.

If you're looking for recommendations, then I'd suggest the regular AC's offer more musical versatility, unless you hit quite hard.

The thicker the cymbal, usually the more you got to put into it to get them to open up. I guess that's why they call them "projection". I personally never cared for medium or heavier crashes. I had a Zildjian A 19" Medium crash that I returned because of the amount of enthusiasm needed to make it sing.

Dennis

Go to a place like mycymbal.com to check all the various varieties of varying cymbal noises.

hey nickropolis, thank you very much for the site. i was on that site for hours listening to the dimosrations of several different cymbals. real cool site. thanks again :)

thanks every body. i appreciate your responces. like i said...spent hours on mycymbal.com (awesome site) listening to several different cymbals back and forth between each cymbal i was interested in and finally made a decision. i decided to go with a zildjian A custom 16" fast crash and a zildjian A custom 20" ride. and also purchased 1 of each. got them from ebay tho, much cheaper. got the ride real cheap coz it has a crack at the edge and has been drilled, the guy says it still has a great sound so i guess we'll see. which makes me wonder what it would sound like if i cut it down to a smaller size ???.
had already purchased a pair of zildjian A custom 14" hi hats from there a cup'l days ago.
anyway am excited to get them and give them a try.

also wanted to mention i put my old cymbals on ebay, hope i get some takers. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
got the ride real cheap coz it has a crack at the edge and has been drilled, the guy says it still has a great sound so i guess we'll see. which makes me wonder what it would sound like if i cut it down to a smaller size ???.

You paid for a cracked ride? Really?

Hopefully it'll work out for you and not turn out to be a mistake.
I've bought cracked cymbals before, but only after hearing and seeing them in person and deciding I might be able to do something with them.
I wouldn't do it with an ebay purchase though.

Hopefully it'll work out for you and not turn out to be a mistake.
I've bought cracked cymbals before, but only after hearing and seeing them in person and deciding I might be able to do something with them.
I wouldn't do it with an ebay purchase though.

yeah i know, paying for a cracked cymbal (how silly of me) may of been a mistake but i was really wanting an 18" ride and thot if it realy sounds bad i could cut it down and then i'd have a 18er, the crack is on the outer edge and is about an inch and half so will have room to play with if i do cut it down. and i also remember my uncle alan used a cracked crash for a long time and i believe he stil has it. besides will have a cymbal i can experiment with. surely it can't be a complete disaster, can it ??? :0

Back