Questions and origins of a fill...THE fill. I need your help. A musical think tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're talking about a run down 8 toms, that would be Hal Blaine on Al Wilson's "The Snake", released August, 1968. Although it was 16ths and not triplets, that was undoubtedly the first time an 8-tom fill was recorded. And in Hal's case, that would have been 7 concert toms and a floor tom. :)

Bermuda
In a rock context, likely.

But I'd have to think the answer is Louie Bellson with Duke Ellington.

Wow man. Not for real musicians. Alright.

I worked in recording studios in the Minneapolis area for 10 years. As an engineering, not a drummer. I worked on some major label stuff but mostly local and regional. Big range of talents and personalities.

You would probably be amazed how many of these conversations were brought up all the time. You know why? Because music lovers are passionate and think about these things.
No, I´m not saying you don´t play an instrument, but I can´t imagine Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams or people like that (and I can think in several hundreds names more of REAL musicians) interested about these kinds of things.

I understand a "MUSICLOVER" might be interested in those things, but that is not a real musician, that can be any person who likes music or a beginner player (beginner in terms of level, it can be someone playing for decades professionally even really famous and be on a level of a beginner as we all know).

It's an iconic drum fill that triggered an emotion and thus had me and a group of friends thinking about music history.

Yes, I IMAGINE, 4 bars of eight note triplets, hahah! You and your friends are very emotional, haha!

Not a big deal,
I was just trying to explain you why I asked only.

Best regards!

Last edited:
I think Hurst2112's question was perfectly legitimate, and I further believe that your observation, above, puts that question in an interesting perspective. It's easy to name hit song after hit song that was made memorable by a drum pattern that "REAL musicians" might consider simplistic or "showy." But those drum parts helped to define those songs just as surely as a simplistic - but memorable - guitar hook.

GeeDeeEmm

But who cares about those "songs"?

Last edited:
No, I´m not saying you don´t play an instrument, but I can´t imagine Jack DeJohnette, Tony Williams or people like that (and I can think in several hundreds names more of REAL musicians) interested about these kinds of things.

I understand a "MUSICLOVER" might be interested in those things, but that is not a real musician, that can be any person who likes music or a beginner player (beginner in terms of level, it can be someone playing for decades professionally even really famous and be on a level of a beginner as we all know).

Yes, I IMAGINE, 4 bars of eight note triplets, hahah! You and your friends are very emotional, haha!

Not a big deal,
I was just trying to explain you why I asked only.

Best regards!

Wow.

I've been lurking here since 2008. Decided to post something 11 years later.

I didn't know this forum fostered idiots like this guy.

Seriously, this is what new members are met with? Some pretentious douchebag who wants to piss all over things?

Last edited:
Oh here we go! Different language barriers get stuff lost in translation, and tempers flair!

Getting my bag of popcorn...

There is no barrier. We obviously read each other's posts just fine.

This guy has been trying to get up on me since his first post. If that's commonplace, I regret even posting here.

I don't think it's the language barrier MrInsanePolack. This is a thread I was looking into every now and then despite not having any knowledge of either fill or anything to add to the discussion. From where I'm standing it looked very much like Alex has been having a go because hurst2112 is a fan of Kiss.

I didn't think Alex's point/question was all that offensive. Not to the degree of calling him names.

Think about it, it's a pretty narrowed down topic that obviously rules out most drummers because of kit size and genre also. So sure, someone had to have a giant kit to do a massive roll first, but who cares? Does it even matter? This is a question for listeners. There aren't any other "first" threads really. First shuffle? First train beat? First double bass roll? First blast beat?

To get all butthurt and vulgar about it is ridiculous.

Wow.

Seriously, this is what new members are met with? Some pretentious douchebag who wants to piss all over things?

not idiots...."real" musicians

and there are a few in every forum...mostly for the entertainment of the rest of the posters

I totally get what you are saying as . fa as the fills, and there are MANY parts to every song that different people remember the song by. REAL MUSICIANS are the ones who are MATURE enough to realize that the busyness, or simplicity of a song/part do not quantify whether it is good...

I didn't think Alex's point/question was all that offensive. Not to the degree of calling him names.

Think about it, it's a pretty narrowed down topic that obviously rules out most drummers because of kit size and genre also. So sure, someone had to have a giant kit to do a massive roll first, but who cares? Does it even matter? This is a question for listeners. There aren't any other "first" threads really. First shuffle? First train beat? First double bass roll? First blast beat?

To get all butthurt and vulgar about it is ridiculous.

It's a general discussion topic. I found nothing wrong with having a chat about it. I didn't know that people posting on this forum were against topics like this.

I cared, friends of mine cared. It'd be the same as asking on a gtr forum, "who was the first person to tap in modern music?". In a general discussion forum, I see nothing wrong with that.

This whole "real musician" thing is way too out there to understand. I don't know if that's a culture thing or some term that has inside meaning around here.

Last edited:
..There is no barrier. We obviously read each other's posts just fine..

Exactly, we both understood everything that Alex wrote in the same way and, by knowing him a little, i am kinda sure that how we both understood him is exactly what he meant to say..

The thing is, regarding (technically) playing drums, the man is just on another playing (and/or thinking) level than most other members here..

I guess when you would ask Dave Weckl to give his honest opinion about Peter Criss, the reaction would be kinda the same..

Those are just two complete different worlds..

Personally i am not judgemental at all regarding almost every music genre you can think about..

I grew up my first 10 years being a huge KISS fan and, like i said before, by listening those songs now again i still think they were among the best the mid 70's had to offer regarding rock..

I can say the same about a lot of punk, hip hop, rap, new wave, noise, reggae, world, folk, americana, roots, electro, ambient, etc..

But, a guy like Alex is 99% about jazz and the corresponding technical playing level..

Btw, i am not a psychologist, but thats just how i interpretate him..?

Wow.

He isn't a native English speaker so his translations come out extremely dry and combative.

Alex, I realise English is not your first language, and that can sometimes lead to misunderstanding. We also know you are a player of considerable ability and experience, but you sometimes choose a path that appears dismissive of the views of others because it does not meet your standards. That may or not be your intention, but I'm trying to be helpful in pointing this out to you.

This is an inclusive forum, where respectfully offered opinions based on the contributor's experiences, are expected to be received with a degree of understanding acceptance, and replied to with due consideration of context.

All I ask is that you consider a more empathetic and respectful approach when responding to someone who's experience and reference points do not mirror your own.

Hurst2112, I really hope you can move beyond this thread and continue to contribute to the forum. Your views are just as valid as anyone else's, but please moderate your use of personal negatives in open forum.

Andy.

I have to say that KISS fill is pretty cool and ballsy in any rock song. I bet that song would 'feel' different in our memories without it. The riff is great but the song might have been anonymous without a full stop, full tom fill.

Alex, I realise English is not your first language, and that can sometimes lead to misunderstanding. We also know you are a player of considerable ability and experience, but you sometimes choose a path that appears dismissive of the views of others because it does not meet your standards. That may or not be your intention, but I'm trying to be helpful in pointing this out to you.

This is an inclusive forum, where respectfully offered opinions based on the contributor's experiences, are expected to be received with a degree of understanding acceptance, and replied to with due consideration of context.

All I ask is that you consider a more empathetic and respectful approach when responding to someone who's experience and reference points do not mirror your own.

Hurst2112, I really hope you can move beyond this thread and continue to contribute to the forum. Your views are just as valid as anyone else's, but please moderate your use of personal negatives in open forum.

Andy.

If everybody should respect opinions, even if they are wrong, (example 2+2 = 7 "because it´s my opinion"), it´s OK if he things that is one of the greatest drum fills in the History of The Universe, then what is wrong if I think it´s not...how come mine can´t be respected as well?

Who do you suspect is closer to the truth? I know, thruth is not any longer important, right? only "selfhelp", Dale Carnegie possitive vibe, etc. ...

Of course there is no problem letting him call me: "IDIOT" and "DOUCHEBAG", it is also his opinion...

Best Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back