Questions about the Yamaha CROSSTOWN hardware...

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've been reading your threads and posts about the Yamaha Crosstown lightweight hardware, but I think the most recent is from September. I've been looking at this set for a couple of days, but I prefer real-world reviews from gigging drummers as opposed to YouTube videos where people review brand new products. Here goes:

1. How is it actually holding up? Any denting or pitting?

2. I know they come with the sleeves to store them in, but anyone NOT use the sleeves? Are they more susceptible to scratching or other damage when just put in a case like normal hardware?

3. Anyone replace the top with a boom stand? If so, how's it going?

4. Compared with the overall weight of your other hardware, would you say that it really is that much lighter?

5. Knowing what you know now, would you still buy it?

6. I play big, dry cymbals (a 22" ride and two 20" crashes). Do you think they'd be ok on these?

7. How would you compare it in regards to weight, durability, and stability with something like the DW light, flat-based hardware? (Edit: There's only one pound difference between the yamaha and the dw flatbase pack. DW is the heavier of the two.).

8. Any other comments?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cutaway79

Silver Member
I've been reading your threads and posts about the Yamaha Crosstown lightweight hardware, but I think the most recent is from September. I've been looking at this set for a couple of days, but I prefer real-world reviews from gigging drummers as opposed to YouTube videos where people review brand new products. Here goes:

1. How is it actually holding up? Any denting or pitting?

2. I know they come with the sleeves to store them in, but anyone NOT use the sleeves? Are they more susceptible to scratching or other damage when just put in a case like normal hardware?

3. Anyone replace the top with a boom stand? If so, how's it going?

4. Compared with the overall weight of your other hardware, would you say that it really is 50% lighter?

5. Knowing what you know now, would you still buy it?

6. I play big, dry cymbals (a 22" ride and two 20" crashes). Do you think they'd be ok on these?

7. How would you compare it in regards to weight, durability, and stability with something like the DW light, flat-based hardware? (Edit: There's only one pound difference between the yamaha and the dw flatbase pack. DW is the heavier of the two.).

8. Any other comments?

Thanks!
1. It's all holding up great! Sturdy as on day one. No denting or pitting so far.

2. I do not use the sleeves, since I pack up my stands fully extended. They are very prone to scratches. It doesn't really bother me though, since the scratches aren't really noticeable from audience distance.

3. Haven't tried.

4. The percentage of weight difference depends entirely on the hardware to which you're comparing. But I do notice a significant difference even between Yamaha 700 series, and Crosstown. If you're used to beefy, double-braced DW 9000 stands (or similar), the weight of the Crosstown hardware will be pretty shocking.

5. Yes. For my applications, the stands have been working great, and knocked a bunch of weight off my hardware case. If you like to mount a lot of stuff off your stands though, you may want to look elsewhere.

Having said that, I did just order a Yamaha Hex Rack. Nothing against the Crosstown stands. I just found a good deal on the rack, and decided to give it a go, since it's supposed to be way lighter than similar Gibraltar/DW/Pearl versions. I will still be using my Crosstown cymbal and snare stand upper sections, and the hihat stand.

6. The biggest cymbal I've mounted on one is a 20" crash. I'm sure I'd run into some issues if I were to mount it at maximum height, and then lay into it like the bastard offspring of Lars Ulrich and The Incredible Hulk. But I play it at an average height, and though I don't beat the crap out of my gear, I definitely put it through the paces, and so far, all's well.

7. I have almost no experience with the flat-based stuff. But I've read that a tripod leg design will generally be sturdier than a flat-based one.

8. Just a couple things to be aware of... The spring tension on the hihat stand is not adjustable. It's much looser than what I was used to, but I've adapted now, so no issue. Also, the legs on the hihat stand don't swivel, and have a pretty small spread compared to other stands, so if you use a double pedal, you will have some positioning problems with your slave pedal (I use a single pedal, so it hasn't been an issue for me).

Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I have only the hi-hat stand. So...

1. Holding up great, no issues.

2. I don't use the sleeve, although I've kept it in case I find another (non-drum) use for it. :)

4. The stand is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the HH stand it replaced... like by half.

8. As Cutaway said, the spring tension on the hat is kinda medium. I simply mount the top hat a little higher than usual, and it settles into a sweet spot. Not a big deal and no reason to avoid this stand. Also, the price is nice at $129! If you order from a store outside of your state, you may even save tax (and shipping is usually free.)

Bermuda

sumdrumguy

I did my first gig with them last weekend.

I've been using 2x Yamaha single braced cymbal stands, and a HS110 hi-hat, for a few years. Before that I used the heavier, double braced cymbals stands.

The switch to single braced was great, with a noticable difference to my hardware bag. Switching out the two cymbal stands and hi-hat to Crosstown hardware... the difference was shocking!

Performance wise, the Crosstown hardware did great.

One stand held a 19" crash, plus a clamp/boom arm with a 10" splash, and a clamp/L-arm with two cowbells. The other stand held a 22" ride, and a clamp/boom arm with an 18" crash. They were as solid as the 700 series stands.

Time will tell how they hold up to ongoing use. I usually gig 2-3 weekends each month. If the Crosstown hardware holds up to that, I will be extremely happy.

cutaway79

Silver Member
I did my first gig with them last weekend.

Switching out the two cymbal stands and hi-hat to Crosstown hardware... the difference was shocking!
Hahaha... It really is! I went from Yamaha 700 to Crosstown, and was truly surprised at the weight difference. Then I compared them to some double-braced Tama and Mapex stands... It's simply mind-boggling.

I think my SKB hardware (golf club) case weighs more than the contents now.

sumdrumguy

I think my SKB hardware (golf club) case weighs more than the contents now.
It probably does!

The first time I pick up the hi-hat, I stopped and stared at it. I held it with my thumb and forefinger. It's so light.

Yamaha hit another home run!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
This has me SO wanting to get a set for Christmas. I've been eyeing the set with the snare, hat and two cymbal stands, but I'd need to add an additional snare stand.

Maybe I can sell my old hardware. Anybody looking for hardware? I can sell it all pretty cheap!

sumdrumguy

This has me SO wanting to get a set for Christmas. I've been eyeing the set with the snare, hat and two cymbal stands, but I'd need to add an additional snare stand.
Do it! ;)

A side-by-side weight comparison of those pieces with what you have now will blow your mind.

alparrott

Platinum Member

Maybe I can sell my old hardware. Anybody looking for hardware? I can sell it all pretty cheap!
Your old Yamaha 600 hardware? Keep me in mind.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Kicking this threat a bit.

I heard you can replace the hihat spring so jt feels heavier and can hold heavier cymbals.

Did anyone do this and where did you got a replacement? As I want to get this set and I like having heavier tension and have fairly heavy 15” K proto hats.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Kicking this threat a bit.

I heard you can replace the hihat spring so jt feels heavier and can hold heavier cymbals.

Did anyone do this and where did you got a replacement? As I want to get this set and I like having heavier tension and have fairly heavy 15” K proto hats.
Haven't replaced anything in the hi-hat stand and am using 17" hi hats made up of two 17" thin crashes. The hi hat works and holds up great. We'll see how long this could last, but I keep a DW9000 hi hat at the ready should the need arise. But so far so good with the Crosstown hi-hat.

tfgretsch

Crosstown hardware passes all your questions with flying colors !! the main ones yes i would buy them again, dw 6700s flat base stands i bought them and not happy with them too light duty,too much sway and fell over on a gig with a 18" cr cym, and i am not a heavier hitter. made a boom with crosstown for my 21" ride cymbal,using a yamaha #ch755 boom arm $55 works great !

for me yamaha crosstowns will help me to keep on giging for a long time !! THE HARDWARE DOES WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO !!!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I do have a question for those of you who are gigging with it like I am. Do you still use a hardware bag or just the bag that comes with the Crosstown hardware?

I've been leaving the big Ahead bag at home, but there are some things like throne and mic stands that I end up carrying loose on my Rock N Roller cart and I'd like to get all of that in one bag. My only concern with putting the Crosstown stands in the same bag as my other stuff is that I'm not sure it would hold up to the abuse of getting beat up with the other heavier-duty hardware.

sumdrumguy

I've been using the crosstown hardware since the fall of 2018 (minus the 5ish Covid months this year). It has held up great. Still loving how light it is!

I bought an extra cymbal stand, and move everything in my Protection Racket rolling hardware bag. I pack the crosstown HH, snare stand, and 3 cymbal stands in with my bass pedal, throne, stickbag, plus assorted bits (zoom recorders, powerbar/extension cords, etc). I usually fold my Crosstown stands all the way down. Like that, I don't have any concerns about them holding up.

On a tangent... for a while I was flying a 12" tom of my left stand. I used Yamaha's 3 hole receiver (CL-945B) with a single tom mount. There was a touch more movement in the tom/stand than when I did the same with the 700 series stand.

I was never concerned about stability. But wondered about wear to the inside of the stands down tube. How the aluminum would hold against the forces. In my nightmare's, I envisioned it splitting open from the inside. A drum equivelant of the classic scene from Alien.

After a solid 3 months of week-in week-out shows, I caved. Mounted the tom off my bass drum again. Looking at/feeling the inside of the down tube, I saw no signs of wear. My concerns seemed to be for naught.

The 700 stands have a liner in them that stablizes the inserted post. The Crosstown stand have a similar liner, but it is shorter. Confident if Yamaha found a way to extend that liner, it would reduce the sway.

NouveauCliche

I do have a question for those of you who are gigging with it like I am. Do you still use a hardware bag or just the bag that comes with the Crosstown hardware?

I've been leaving the big Ahead bag at home, but there are some things like throne and mic stands that I end up carrying loose on my Rock N Roller cart and I'd like to get all of that in one bag. My only concern with putting the Crosstown stands in the same bag as my other stuff is that I'm not sure it would hold up to the abuse of getting beat up with the other heavier-duty hardware.
I use the gig bag - it's been great. I also added one more stand and It houses my floor tom legs and my tom mount - so it's heavier than stock but still incredibly, incredibly light compared to what I was using for years.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
For now, even though the reviews of these has been really good, I've decided to pass on this hardware. I play on so many sketchy, uneven surfaces, and I play with two 20" crash cymbals with a 22" ride that I paid way too much money for. I would hate for one of these stands to tip. If there ever comes a day where I'm guaranteed not to play in a field, an uneven parking lot, or the back of flatbed trucks, I may reconsider.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
For now, even though the reviews of these has been really good, I've decided to pass on this hardware. I play on so many sketchy, uneven surfaces, and I play with two 20" crash cymbals with a 22" ride that I paid way too much money for. I would hate for one of these stands to tip. If there ever comes a day where I'm guaranteed not to play in a field, an uneven parking lot, or the back of flatbed trucks, I may reconsider.
I think these hold up better then flatbase stands on un-even fields though.

And the weight loss you gain, your back is going to love you. You are going to love you 😂

I will let you know how my rough playing and coming 24” K Sound Lab ride holds up with these on the next gig.

F4218982-1125-445B-88B2-21F56BC77788.jpeg

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I wouldn’t worry about them much on uneven surfaces, unless by uneven you mean stands are going to tilt a full 45 degrees one way or other. Worst case scenario, I’d say keep two 700 bases In the truck and call on them if you ever need to. I had my 21” Evolution ride on them with the 700 boom extension. I had to bring the legs way out, so I could get the stand in closer and shorten the boom to keep is more stable. Just for the added precaution I let one leg of my light weight boom mic stand cross the rubber foot on the outer leg of the CrossTowns and it didn’t even think of moving. Now, I’m not a brasher, so YMMV, but I did play harder than normal for a test and it was fine.

Now, you asked for gigging drummers to reply and I’ve only had them during Covid, but worst case scenario, I’d leave a coiled up mic cable over the extended foot live just to be safe it it was squirrelly. If using a rug, a couple of pieces of Velcro over the outside of the legs would more than keep them put. The stands themselves have very little play, so just keeping the legs stable would remove any concerns. The weight savings and stability is well worth a bit of creativity on the off chance you need it.