Question regarding DW Tom memory locks

JimmyBee

Hi all.
Recently purchased a new DW Design Series and adding some memory locks which weren't included to add my Toms ( 3 Toms total). Floor Tom Legs are 12.7mm, not measured the other tom arms but they look similar

It seems there are a couple of different types for the "wedge shaped" Tom memory locks which it looks like my drums will synch up with.

For example:

DWSMTM12SC (two tightning bolts, looks more rectangular )
DWSMTM12SC2 (single bolt, looks rounder)

I guess the "2" suffix on the second part number denotes a later version? That one looks more like a floor Tom lock to me (rather than for the other Toms). Could be mistaken and just a design change but just wondered if the second part number is the way to go - I need to buy 5 locks in total I think.

Any guidance appreciated

Cheers

If you have the DWSMTB12CR tom mount, use the DWSMTM12SC.
1607448885242.png

If you have the DWSMTB12CR2 tom mount, use the DWSMTM12SC2.
1607449126685.png

Thanks for your reply Lee Bro.

I happened to have both types of memory locks so thought I'd post up some pictures of them on my upper Tom mounts in case it helps anyone else.

Both types seem to do exactly the same job - touching the Tom mounts at the same position. My Tom mounts are the DWSMTB12CR as shown in the upper picture in your post above. So I can't speak for the other type of Tom mount (and whether both memory locks also work on that type)

Anyway, dull post but hope it helps someone!

Attachments

• 20210201_204509.jpg
    20210201_204509.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210201_204456.jpg
    20210201_204456.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210201_203738.jpg
    20210201_203738.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210201_203749.jpg
    20210201_203749.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 19
My old Design series kit came with a DW branded cardboard box that included the memory locks and a few extra tension rods. But I know a lot of Music stores seem to lose the box ( I had to ask for it)

My old Design series kit came with a DW branded cardboard box that included the memory locks and a few extra tension rods. But I know a lot of Music stores seem to lose the box ( I had to ask for it)
Maybe that's how some stores make extra money...! Didn't get any cardboard boxes with mine either.. ah well.

Here's a question.. I just put a new DW Tom mount bracket (DWSMTB12CR2 tom mount) on my PorkPie drums. I'm using a DW tom holder as well.. However the memory lock doesn't really 'lock' the drum into place, you can still rotate it on the holder. I tried every combo of postion and it still rotates. Am I doing something wrong? I bought them specifically to have high quality hardware with an unmovable, road-crew proof, always in the same position kind of mount. Please help!!!

Both the tom mount and the memory lock are bevelled. Both angles fit together.

Yes, same for me. I'm able to move my toms into the exact position with those locks so no problem for me.

My Design Series kit included a box of memory locks and an assortment of spare tension rods. DW is the only company I've seen that includes spares. Some of the boutique manufacturers might but it doesn't appear to be a common practice. Advantage DW.

My Design Series kit included a box of memory locks and an assortment of spare tension rods. DW is the only company I've seen that includes spares. Some of the boutique manufacturers might but it doesn't appear to be a common practice. Advantage DW.
super cool.. but i'm still flummoxed on this poor design.. I might have to move over to Tama hardware for the tom brackets.. When you put your tom aligned with the memory lock, can you rotate the drum at all??

Yes, same for me. I'm able to move my toms into the exact position with those locks so no problem for me.
but once they're locked in, are they tight in, no play at all? imagine a non drummer putting the drum on the mount.. would they feel somethingi lock in, then they would know it's the exact postion that's set?? or would they have an approximate?? this is my problem.. I'm finding the locked in position to be approximate.

super cool.. but i'm still flummoxed on this poor design.. I might have to move over to Tama hardware for the tom brackets.. When you put your tom aligned with the memory lock, can you rotate the drum at all??
My toms don't budge whatsoever when mated with the memory lock.

Just to be certain, are your memory locks oriented as seen in this photo?

20210605_124159.jpg

Last edited:
Back