Question or DW 1999 set....

webe123

Our church has a DW collectors 1999 set of royal blue diamond drums. The sizes are 8, 10, 12 and 14 with a 20 inch kick. Because these have the black badge on them....if we ever wanted for DW to make a 16 inch floor tom to go with the set....is that even possible? The drums are over 20 years old and from what I understand the shells were made by Keller. So does anyone know if A. it is even possible for DW to match the shells we already have and B. Care to take an estimate at how much they could charge for making a shell like that....or C. would it sound the same as the rest of the other toms because the wood in them is over 20 years old? Here is a pic of the drums for reference. 000_0806.JPG

SYMBOLIC DEATH

To find out if they are Keller shells or not, look at the ply joint on the reinforcement ring. It the joint is straight it's a Keller shell. If it's wavy/scalloped then it's a DW made shell. I don't think they will.make a new 16 and put an old badge on it, but you could probably fine one somewhere on the internet.
I have a Keller era DW kit and added an 18 that has a DW shell and the difference is minimal, not night and day, but it's there if your looking for it. I've never had anyone notice the slight color of sound difference.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The year was 1998 they moved to their own shells, so I doubt it will be keller.

But they will be still killer drums, as then the are DW’s own, in-house shells.

They don’t have the old badges anymore in stock and Keller/Precision drums don’t make the same shells with that ply config anymore, as I went on a search myself for a matching shell for my old DW kit with Keller shells.

Aged (read dried) wood will always sound more pure than modern shells but if that should be an issue?

You are lucky that those are wrapped.

I would put search alarms out on market places around the globe and facebook for matching sizes form the same older series.

Than have those finds wrapped the same, or have all the shells re-wrapped or laquered together.

webe123

The year was 1998 they moved to their own shells, so I doubt it will be keller.

But they will be still killer drums, as then the are DW’s own, in-house shells.

They don’t have the old badges anymore in stock and Keller/Precision drums don’t make the same shells with that ply config anymore, as I went on a search myself for a matching shell for my old DW kit with Keller shells.

Aged (read dried) wood will always sound more pure than modern shells but if that should be an issue?

You are lucky that those are wrapped.

I would put search alarms out on market places around the globe and facebook for matching sizes form the same older series.

Than have those finds wrapped the same, or have all the shells re-wrapped or laquered together.
I believe they are keller shells.....the joints on the reinforcement ring are straight....(I looked) and the toms only have a printed number inside .They also have the black badge just like the kellers do. So this leads me to think they are keller shells. And from what I have read, they switched sometime around 1999 but could not find an exact date when they switched.. But yeah, I figured it would be like finding a "needle in a haystack" to get a 16 floor tom for these. If we never find one that is cool...They sound fantastic. I just thought it would be great to have an extra floor tom added to this set.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The early in-house shells also only had the printed numbers and black badge (the badge change tot the gold badge, happened in 2002).

They didn’t changed over-night so the 1998 is a broad taken year, not a certain date.

The seam should tell if it is Keller if DW regardless:
29F36491-18E0-43AE-BFE6-90CAF910F1DC.jpeg

webe123

The early in-house shells also only had the printed numbers and black badge (the badge change tot the gold badge, happened in 2002).

They didn’t changed over-night so the 1998 is a broad taken year, not a certain date.

The seam should tell if it is Keller if DW regardless:
View attachment 96825
Again.....YES the seem is the one on the left that is straight. That is what ours looks like!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have a hard time believing there'd be a distracting difference in the sound of a new 16" floor tom to the rest of the kit. I'd think that as long as the new drum is of similar thin shell with re-ring construction it would blend in just fine sonically.

IBitePrettyHard

You won't be able to completely match the specs. The shell composition has probably changed, and they probably have a different way of manufacturing the shell these days. Different molds, different glue, etc.

It could also be difficult to match the wrap perfectly. Maybe DW still carries it, but I doubt it.

But.....so what? You're willing to miss out on the goodness of a 16" floor tom because the color doesn't match or you think the sound will be off? There's a stigma against using mismatched drums, and I'm guilty of this too. It's mostly unwarranted. As long as the sound matches, it shouldn't matter much.

I'm here to tell you, add a similar spec floor tom and you won't even know it's mismatched with your eyes closed. We like to talk about subtle differences in this forum, but the fact is, we're splitting hairs most of the time. ESPECIALLY when it comes to a mismatched floor tom. Mismatched rack toms are more noticeable, but the deep rumble of a floor tom is a lot easier to match to the rest of a kit. As long as the floor tom sounds good by itself, it'll work. Trust me.

Case in point, this hodge podge kit should sound all over the place. You'd expect it to sound like the special effects mode on an electric keyboard, but nope...it's a lot closer than you'd expect. And once you add music on top of that, nobody would ever know.

TIME STAMP 3:07

My advice, get a 16" Performance Series floor tom, or heck, even a used one. (That alone would save you a LOT of money, a Collector's series tom would cost double the price, and you'd have to wait at least 4-6 months for it, not to mention the extra delay due to Covid) The difference in hardware is minimal, and it'll match the sound perfectly IMO. If you can get over the fact that it doesn't match visually with the kit, you'll be overjoyed with the sound.

Then you can spend the next few months searching for a matching wrap. But in the meantime you'll be enjoying that sweet 16" floor tom.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I have a hard time believing there'd be a distracting difference in the sound of a new 16" floor tom to the rest of the kit. I'd think that as long as the new drum is of similar thin shell with re-ring construction it would blend in just fine sonically.
That is the downside. They don’t make these shells anymore.

What I got back after mailing back and forth with DW, Keller and Precision when I wanted an 18” floor for my kit:
“The original 18’s would have been 6 ply with 3 ply rings. So, 6 ply with 5 ply rings or even 5 ply with 5 ply rings would be very close construction and tone-wise.

DW’s smaller diameter were 5/3 construction. 16”, 18” and 22” and larger were 6/2. The outlier was the 20” bass drums. They used the 5/3 construction for these.

This particular shell configuration isn’t one that we produce anymore, but Precision Drum can most likely make one for you. They should be able to provide the shell with the appropriate re-rings installed and they can ship directly to DW.”

And from Precision :
“We cannot provide 3 ply rings. Are 5 ply rings okay?”

Inended up selling the kit and bought a custom DW with my prefered specs.

So getting the exact shells will be impossible, there will be a difference.

It is easier to either find a used matching build (most likely different appearance), or as IBPH mentioned a different series all together.

madjack956

I havent read this whole thread so someone may have answered this already. I have a new set (2020) of DW's with a black badge. The problem is they say Performance Series and not Collectors Series.
I doubt anyone would know but you if you used one. As far as getting a matched shell, I cant help there.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Just a get a new one in black gloss and be happy. DW gives people the standard 12-week wait line and you’re probably looking at new floor toms in the $800 range. You might be lucky and DW can match the FinishPly wrap, but
You’ll have to discuss it with a dealer so he can communicate with DW.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I don’t think anyone at your church will care or even notice a mismatched 16”. I also doubt it will prohibit entry into the pearly gates.

if it were a personal set, then I’d understand wanting to match the drum, but with it being a church/house set, I don’t think the return is worth the investment in time and money.