Question for you DW Experts

cutaway79

Silver Member
The STM brackets have come a long way. I remember seeing guys turn the toms in more than a 45* angle and watching the mount bracket flex. I've never really understood that approach but I prefer to play over the kit.

As for DW hardware in general, I have found them to be incredibly durable in regards to pedals and stands. Of course with the durability comes weight. In several instances while touring, I'd need to keep my trap case under a certain weight. In would go various lighter duty stands I had.

I've never had a piece of DW hardware strip or break on me. Im still using a snare and hi hat stand I have had for 20+ years.

Check out these pedals in the pic attached.

Cheers
-Ian
The only pedal I've ever broken was a DW. Snapped at the hinge. And those little drumkey operated screws that secure the cymbal tilters... I've come across SO many of those things where the hole is stripped out. Also, the plastic cymbal tilter levers... I've seen many of those loose, wobbly, and broken. Maybe I've just had really bad luck crossing paths with the bogus gear. It's definitely heavy duty. Just doesn't seem to be really roadworthy.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
The only pedal I've ever broken was a DW. Snapped at the hinge. And those little drumkey operated screws that secure the cymbal tilters... I've come across SO many of those things where the hole is stripped out. Also, the plastic cymbal tilter levers... I've seen many of those loose, wobbly, and broken. Maybe I've just had really bad luck crossing paths with the bogus gear. It's definitely heavy duty. Just doesn't seem to be really roadworthy.
I broke a hinge also. $40.00 to replace. Yikes! Back in the day I broke speed king foot boards on a regular basis. Over tightening any set screw can cause it to strip so that may be user error. I've only had one broken plastic handle break and that happened during shipment from an E bay seller.

I've packed up and moved a 2001 DW kit more times than I'd care to remember and never had any problems with hardware except for the hinge. That was a used pedal when I got it.

YMMV

imamonstertruck

I suppose the only real wear in the the pedals that I've found was at the single sprocket, the first DW pedal I ever owned. I swapped that piece out for a dual sprocket and chain and never had an issue.

Maybe I've been lucky with good hinges ;p

Cheers
-Ian