Question for Yammie owners

Darth Vater

Why does Yamaha use those flimsy 1.6 triple flange hoops on their Recording Custom kits? Curious because there is a nice deal on an RC set near me. Thanks in advance for any replies.

TJK

There’s many paragraphs of prose on the reason for the thin hoops online. From what I can gather is that they increase resonance alongside the heavy ass full lugs on the shell. Now you may think that the heavy ass lugs kill resonance but alas they vibrate with the shell and add resonance. Seems believable to me. I know I have never heard better toms in my life but the bass drum always seemed to be lacking compared to maple. Ghmo

incrementalg

Gold Member
Why does Yamaha use those flimsy 1.6 triple flange hoops on their Recording Custom kits? Curious because there is a nice deal on an RC set near me. Thanks in advance for any replies.
I wouldn’t hesitate to snag the drums if the deal is good and you like the RC. Yamaha does purpose built very well, so I’m guessing the hoops were the result of trial and error. Those drums sound fantastic.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
There's nothing inherently wrong with 1.6 mm hoops. Sometimes a thicker hoop will choke a drum and that might be their rationale for using them.

RickP

Gold Member
There's nothing inherently wrong with 1.6 mm hoops. Sometimes a thicker hoop will choke a drum and that might be their rationale for using them.
Exactly 1.6mm hoops are excellent and really are great for opening up a drum . All those vintage Ludwig kits everyone loves shipped with 1.6mm hoops .