Question for the People Playing 4 Piece Drum Sets- Sizes

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I played a "bop" sized 4 piece for a long time: 18", 12", 14".

I never really got that comfortable on those sizes...if I went to a 4 piece again I would a 20" so I can get a little more BASS if I needed it, 10" tom and a 15" floor tom. I never felt like the 14" floor tom quite went as low as I wanted and there's something about 12" and 13" toms that I don't like. Tonally they sit in a place that I don't find that appealing...I don't mind a 12" in sequence with a 10", 12", 14", 16"....but by itself I never found a tuning that I wanted as my primary high tom.

It should be noted that I love the small of small toms: I'd be happy with a 8", 10" as my rack toms with a big drop off to a 16" floor tom - so my ears might be whacky compared to the majority haha.
What sizes are your Brooklyns?

Road Bull

Silver Member
I am seeing lots of smaller sizes here.

I am currently playing my Tama Granstar kit. I have 9 drums to chose from, but what I have set up is 13, 16, & 22" drums. Those birch drums are punchy and powerful.

Before that, I was playing Ludwig Vistalite and Ludwig Maple Classics in 14, 16, & 26" with my old band.

I am lucky enough to have a place to play the configuration that I prefer. I still have the Ludwig Classic Maples, but sold the Vistalites. I miss the tone and openness of the Vistalites. I like the sound of larger drums tuned up vs. thuddy. I am not in love with the feel response 26" bass drum. I like playing double bass patterns and the 26" just gets too muddy for much of that to come though. I wouldn't mind finding a 24" to try out for a while. That would have tone, punch, and still be articulate enough for faster stuff. Till then, 22's work just fine.

And for reference, besides 14" HH, I don't run crashes or rides smaller than 21".

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

What sizes are your Brooklyns?
22", 10", 12', 16" - I use two snares: 6.5x14 USA Bronze Gretsch and my new 3 7/8" x 14" Noble & Cooley solid shell maple piccolo as my primary.

I'll be ordering a 8", 14", 18" BD soon with the same finish, etc. for my Brooklyns so I'll be able to swap around kits as needed.

I'm debating a 20" kick: but I'd really like to try the Gretsch Brooklyn 20" before I pull the trigger on that as well.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
22", 10", 12', 16" - I use two snares: 6.5x14 USA Bronze Gretsch and my new 3 7/8" x 14" Noble & Cooley solid shell maple piccolo as my primary.

I'll be ordering a 8", 14", 18" BD soon with the same finish, etc. for my Brooklyns so I'll be able to swap around kits as needed.

I'm debating a 20" kick: but I'd really like to try the Gretsch Brooklyn 20" before I pull the trigger on that as well.
Thank you. This is exactly why I was asking. I have a 22" Brooklyn, but I have seriously been thinking about getting a 20". I haven't been able to play one in person, so I would be taking a bit of a gamble.

NouveauCliche

Thank you. This is exactly why I was asking. I have a 22" Brooklyn, but I have seriously been thinking about getting a 20". I haven't been able to play one in person, so I would be taking a bit of a gamble.
Considering that the 22" is literally the biggest sounding bass drum I've every played - with literal wall-shaking capabilities: I would guess that a 20" is a solid choice!

Row

I wish I could find a shell pack with 20x14, 12x8, 16 floor though, but they always come with a 14.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I tend to like 12/14/20 and 13/16/24. With either, you can fake the sound of a 22. With the 20, you can fake an 18. With the 24, you can fake a 26.

brushes

I used to play 22-(10)-12-16 for quite some time but then - one by one- switched to 20-12-14 on all of my drumsets. Why? More than enough lowend available when needed, much nicer in higher tunings than a 22" bassdrum and a 16" FT IMO. 20-12-14 is ultra-versatile, fits any style. It also fits into the car easily and it's a few pounds less to carry around. (Yeah, I am getting old). Furthermore, from an aesthetic and ergonomic point of view, 20-12-14 is just incredibly sexy.

My two main kits (Tama Starclassics) are 20x14, 12x8, 14x14. The kit in the practice-room (a Tama Silverstar) is 20x16, 12x8, 14x14.

belairien

Silver Member
Most of my 4 piece set ups were either 22/12/16 or 20/12/14. I am in the process of changing to a 1 up 2 down kit that can go 12/14 or 12/16, but I have an ancient cheapie Ludwig kit that is a 22/13/16 that is a blast to play.

baz

Silver Member
Hola

l have two four piece kits. One is my DW classics 22, 14, 12 while the second is a Pearl Session Studio classic, also 22, 14, 12. The session kit is a six piece with 10, and 16” toms. I find that no matter how l tune or what heads l use, the 10” is way too “ poonky”, and the 16 is too tubby.

keeping both kit configs standardized like this makes it a lot easier all around as heads, hoops, bags are interchangeable. I think of my drums as fraternal twins. Both very similar yet very different from each other.

Barry

wildbill

Platinum Member
I wish I could find a shell pack with 20x14, 12x8, 16 floor though, but they always come with a 14.
Just did a quick google search and it seems there's plenty available, depending on your budget.
You can also order those sizes from several manufacturers.

For myself, when I played gigs, I always used a 5 pc.
I have had several (many?) 4 pc. kits. Not a lot of variety in the sizes though.
They were all 18/12/14 or 22/13/16, except for one Ludwig kit that was 22/12/16.

Last edited:

roncadillac

I've been playing drums for just shy of 20 years. My first kit was a standard 5pc (22b, 12t, 13t, 16ft, 14s) and within a few months I remember thinking I didn't need the third tom around the same time I remember wishing I could get my ride cymbal more centered so I played a 4pc set up for about 5 or so years. Then I dropped down to a 3pc, occasionally 2pc, and have been riding that ever since. Once in awhile I use a mounted tom, usually just if I want to beef up a recording, but I've played 2 or 3pc set ups 99% of the time for about 15 years now.

Currently driving a pearl midtown (16b, 10t, 13ft, 13s), usually set up as a 2 or 3pc as stated above.

Most of the time I just use hats and a ride, no other cymbals. Sometimes I throw in a cowbell for fun. Sometimes I leave the hi hats at home and go just ride.

Reactions: baz