Question for EMAD2 users.

no talent

Just played in recording studio last night and used the house kit. Im almost embarrassed to say the brand and model of the kit because i loved the bass drum so much. He was using an EMAD2 as well as a blanket with no reso head, i hate that look in a big way but the sound was amazing live without headphones. now my big question is which EMAD would someone suggest for an 18 inch bass drum? 18x16 floor tom conversion to be exact..3ply maple with re-rings and standard hoops, not bass hoops. i know the kit in the studio was a 22 inch but i really think the head made all the difference.

i will add, i am currently using an attack single ply for the batter side and a remo smooth white emperor for the reso. when used as a tom the attack head is the reso and i put a beater patch on it.

Last edited:
On my 18"'BD I tried an Emad, then an Emad 2, which I prefer. It seems to have a lower resonant frequency, which complements the smaller size, makes it sound bigger.

You can put all the heads you want , an 18" will never sound like a 22".

i know, but it made this 22 inch sound like the best 22 ever so i was hoping it would make my 18 inch sound like the best 18 inch ever. ive always used superkick 2 heads on my 22 and 24 bass drums and they sound great, no internal muffling. i never play Evans and dont know if anyone else had on an 18, i didnt want to waste the money.

Morrisman, thanks, sounds like the emad2 will be worth the investment.

Make sure the Emad collar fits your 18" bass. If you are using regular steel hoops not bass drum hoops I don't think the bass head will fit?

Make sure the Emad collar fits your 18" bass. If you are using regular steel hoops not bass drum hoops I don't think the bass head will fit?

yeah thanks, i saw on amazon a 16 listed for regular hoops, not an 18. i hope they make one. i sont want to change it to bass hoops.

yeah thanks, i saw on amazon a 16 listed for regular hoops, not an 18. i hope they make one. i sont want to change it to bass hoops.

We don't offer an 18" with tom hoops at this time. Depending on the hardware and shell dimensions, a bass head may still work. I would recommend the GMAD (12mil version of the EMAD).

Best of luck!

Regarding an 18 trying to sound like a 22...

My 18 with a fairly loose Emad2 really does sound deep and meaty like a 22, just quieter. Mic'd up, it sounds huge. Without the mic, its great for rehearsals, sounds big without being too loud.

We don't offer an 18" with tom hoops at this time. Depending on the hardware and shell dimensions, a bass head may still work. I would recommend the GMAD (12mil version of the EMAD).

Best of luck!

thank you, was wondering about that. i hate to say the studio had a Tama Rockstar , i could have brought my own kit, but it just sounded so damn good! Great heads, im this close to being a remo/aquarian convert.

one thing that works great my buddy told me w/ evans EMAD batter heads (the ones w/ the tray & 2 diff muffle rings) and 18" or 20" kicks --> tune the drum open & just run the plastic TRAY, no muffle ring. it muffles it just enough for that jazzy / open sound. i did coated single ply eMAD.

Ok, si before buying a new head i decided to try a few of the heads i have laying around. I tried an aquarian force 10, which even though it is super thick gave off less of a low one than i anticipated. then, i went with a Remo emperor smooth white. i had a gig that night so i ran out of time and left the emperor on. ( i tried both with and without the internal DW pillow. At the gig, i was approached by a regular fan who asked what i had done to my bass drum. he said it never sounded better. i didnt telll anyone i had fooled with it so it was pretty cool that someone noticed. So my final setup, and this is no dig to Evans is the Remo Emperor smooth white, and dw pillow. Punchy, deep tone i was searching for.

Back