Question for Chicago/West Suburb Drummers

Dignan

Silver Member
This question is for any drummers in the Chicago area. I live in the west suburbs and am looking for venues that host open mic/play events where drummers can get involved.

I took lessons and played in casual bands from about age 15 to about age 21. Then life got in the way and I probably didn't touch any sticks for about 13 years...fast forward to last year (I'm 34 now) when I got "bit by the bug" again and dove head first back into drumming and building my skill level. Given that, I would consider myself a "lower end" intermediate drummer and would like to start exploring gigging options. I figured open mic stuff would be a good place to start.

Any Chicago drummers know of any good venues for this? Or anyone have any general words of wisdom for open mic events to share? Thanks.

Dignan

Autopilot

I live in Chicago....just north of downtown. Unfortunately, most of the open mic nights that I go to aren't drummer friendly. My local bar lets me pull the e-kit out every once in awhile. I usually just jam with anyone that wants a drummer to play with them. Ill keep my eyes out though...

Dignan

Silver Member
I know Ballydoyles in Downers Grove has an open mic night every Wednesday. They also have a house drum kit that is usually set up. Seen it when I've eaten there before. I just don't know if its conducive for drummers coming up and playing with the other musicians or not.

Dignan

Silver Member
It's been over a year since I originally posted this so I just wanted to throw this thread back out there again in case any chicago drummers or musicians are poking around here and know of any good open jam/mic sessions going on in Chicago. (preferably west suburbs). I'm still looking for some ways to ease into jamming with others. Thanks.