question for birch users

defregano

hey guys,

ive been planning on buying a yamaha birch custom for a while now. Now i want something versatile but i also want the drums to be able to cut through loud guitars...and it was my understanding that birch was good for that.
But just recently i read the birch customs review in the new issue of modern drummer....and the reviewer said that the drums seemed too quiet for a rock setting. He didnt mention if he was micd or not. I would be micing the set for shows 100% of the time.

for those that have experience with birch kits (thin birch kits would be even better)...do you think they would work well for metal in a live setting??

gianop81

Go for a Pearl VBX or a BRX.It is just what you need spesially when used with mics.Loud clear and focused sound

grooveweapon

They would work very well with mics. In fact, I would probably PREFER birch in a live situation of playing metal. I've heard countless drummers playing maple kits live that had their kits micd...well in order to be heard, the sound guy eq'd them to get more attack and the higher freqs... but with birch, that is its natural strong point so hardly any work needs to be done. They may not have the fullness in the low end that maple has, but as far as cutting through loud distorted guitars, my birch starclassic performer works great.

hey guys,

ive been planning on buying a yamaha birch custom for a while now. Now i want something versatile but i also want the drums to be able to cut through loud guitars...and it was my understanding that birch was good for that.
But just recently i read the birch customs review in the new issue of modern drummer....and the reviewer said that the drums seemed too quiet for a rock setting. He didnt mention if he was micd or not. I would be micing the set for shows 100% of the time.

for those that have experience with birch kits (thin birch kits would be even better)...do you think they would work well for metal in a live setting??
Someone posted that Modern Drummer review on the PDF. My response...NEVER EVER trust a review in Modern Drummer magazine. They are clearly morons that have absolutely NO clue what they are talking about.

Yamaha Birch and Oak are some of the loudest and in your face drums on the market.

mattyg@@

I have a Yammie recording custom and it is LOUD. the bass drum doesn't thunder, but it has heaps of attack and sounds good wit the right tuning (tuned higher is better imo), and right heads. but the toms and floor toms are awesome

Aleks

I have played my birch live unmiced without a problem, infact had to cut back on the power a bit....

Alex Luce

Pro Drummer
hey guys,

That review got me a little worried too, because I have been in the market for a birch kit, and in fact I just bought a Recording Custom off ebay on Friday. If you're a subscriber to Modern Drummer, you can go on their website and sign up for the "Digital Edition" or something like that. Then you can go the August 2009 issue and hear the kit that was reviewed. In my opinion, it doesn't sound that great.

However keep in mind, the sizes of the drums in the review are kind of weird, for rock drums anyway. There are no 16" or 18" toms, and the guy got two 14" toms, a 11 x 14 and a 12 x 14. The question is, why?? He didn't explain if this was a standard configuration or some kind of weird custom order, but my guess would be the latter.

I don't know what the Absolute birch customs are supposed to sound like, but I know what the recording customs sound like, because I have been listening to them live and on records for 25 years. I don't know if it's due to the heads (the pinstripes), the full shell lugs, or both; but to my ears that is the Yamaha birch sound I want to hear. Just to be safe though (because I am a rock guy too) I got the power tom sizes, to make sure the drums cut through.

Regards,

Alex