Question for bar-band folks, re some song choices

BruceW

Hiya! Our bar-band covers a lot of ground, genre-wise. Classic rock, contemporary country, some pop/dance stuff...pretty much the motto is "good fun party music". Premise being to be danceable. We're also pretty "seasoned"...ok, we're older. Heh heh. 50's and 60's. We can (and do) still rock it out, when it makes sense for the venue and crowd. The past two weeks have put us in a situation where we had a younger-than-usual crowd, a lot of 30-somethings. We have a pretty big catalog of stuff to choose from and works form the majority of our venues, but our selection of rock stuff from the 90's/00's is woefully lacking. We do Gel, Kryptonite, and can hack our way thru Shine, but that's pretty much it from that era. This doesn't come up for us very often, but two weeks in a row got me to thinking about what we might do to be ready for this next time.

I figure that if we can add 4-5 more from that era to the catalog, mixed in with the other classic rock stuff that we already do that will work (Dirty Deeds, Sweet Child, etc) we'd manage those crowds nicely. So I'm looking for suggestions of what you folks play that fits that genre/crowd. Yes, I can and will sit down with Google and go down lists of songs from that era, but many times there are songs that are pretty popular and would work, but aren't "hits" and thus not appear on those lists. (Low Life as an example.)

To add complication, my guitar player is...opinionated. :) Finicky. Pick a descriptive. There are songs that I already know he won't wanna do. (And to be fair, if someone in the band doesn't want to do any given song, there is no sense in doing it...there are plenty of songs out there for a bar band.) So I can rule out Hey Jealousy, Enter Sandman and Creep right now. I'm still hoping to get My Own Worst Enemy in there, tho I get resistance.

What stuff from that era works for you folks?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Kings of Leon - Molly's Chamber, Sex on Fire, Use Somebody. (The latter two are guaranteed floor fillers)
Killers - Mr Brightside
Green Day - Basket Case
Walk The Moon - Shut Up and Dance
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
Blink 182 - All The Small Things
Anything by Oasis
Semisonic - Closing Time (last song)

Tell your guitarist to put his ego to one side and at the end of the night assure him he's still a rockstar ;) Playing stuff you don't like is part and parcel of being in a party band.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
A list of songs would vary depending on what part of the country you are in. And what part of the world you are in. And the average age of your audience. Note the list above that mikyok provided. I believe he/she is from England. If my cover band here in Phoenix played mikyok's list of songs the audience would wonder why the bar owner hired us.

BruceW

A list of songs would vary depending on what part of the country you are in. And what part of the world you are in. And the average age of your audience. Note the list above that mikyok provided. I believe he/she is from England. If my cover band here in Phoenix played mikyok's list of songs the audience would wonder why the bar owner hired us.

Fair enough. Northern New England. (Maine) Rural.

Even as old as I am (nyuk nyuk) I've heard some of the ones on mikyoks list, likely I actually have heard many of them, I simply don't recognize by the titles. Still this is good, it gives me different things to listen to to see...

Thanks

Rotarded

A few that my band* does, that go over very well:

Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
Stacey's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
The Impression That I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones (if you have the balls, and timing, to attempt it)

* we are all in the late 40's to late 50's age range, playing in the midwest, USofA.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Lots of good suggestions already. My wedding/corporate/bar band does these *current *rock tunes:

Ex's and Oh's - Elle King
Wake Me Up - Avicii
The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
Shut Up And Dance - Walk The Moon
Mr. Brightside - The Killers

To add complication, my guitar player is...opinionated. :) Finicky. Pick a descriptive. There are songs that I already know he won't wanna do.
Make a list, and then have the band decide that the guitar player chooses 4 or 5 songs from the list. Since he chose the songs; he can no longer be finnicky/opinionated/whatever.

*in the sense that they are post-2000, and don't fit into any other musical category.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Lately we've been getting good results from "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" by Merle Haggard. And there's David Allan Coe's "Long Haired Redneck". You do "Whole Lotta Rosie" by ACDC, right?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I've always done more pop stuff. This would be one of the main crowd pleasers.

Heavier stuff is sort of for jams and bands doing their own material.

The basic idea I think though is just to gauge and ask the crowd.

No requests at the gig?

Noisy

Maybe, you could also go to songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s that are so well known that young people know them. Maybe talk to a few from the young age group and look through a top 500 list of the old songs and find which ones they know and like. Then both young and old would like the songs. Maybe even your guitar player likes them. 😁
Lots of 50s songs are very cool.

Lee-Bro

I am chuckling that the lists of "current" songs are of songs that are 20+ years old.
Exactly.

We play covers funk, dance, & Motown from 70s-Present and each year I do a follow up w/ the clubs we play at. One thing that has come up is that we've been asked to add more modern songs to help retain the younger crowd longer and to bring more of them in. "Modern" tends to be subjective but around here what that really means is "current." A song can be 20 years old and considered modern, but it certainly isn't current.

For my group, "Modern" means from the year 2,000 on and "Current" is within the last 5 years.

BruceW

Maybe, you could also go to songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s that are so well known that young people know them. Maybe talk to a few from the young age group and look through a top 500 list of the old songs and find which ones they know and like. Then both young and old would like the songs. Maybe even your guitar player likes them. 😁
Lots of 50s songs are very cool.

Please don't misunderstand me. We don't "need" to learn any more songs, we probably could get thru a couple hundred different songs if pressed. We have a wide variety of material in our catalog. I specifically wanted to add some popular rock songs from the 90's/00's to address groups of 30-somethings when we get them. Usually they are happy with many of the classic rock things that we already play, I just wanted to add a few more of a specific genre to make those scenarios go better.

Thanks tho

Skeet6

Please don't misunderstand me. We don't "need" to learn any more songs, we probably could get thru a couple hundred different songs if pressed. We have a wide variety of material in our catalog. I specifically wanted to add some popular rock songs from the 90's/00's to address groups of 30-somethings when we get them. Usually they are happy with many of the classic rock things that we already play, I just wanted to add a few more of a specific genre to make those scenarios go better.

Thanks tho
Perhaps checking what is "current" on the popular radio stations in your area? (Not even sure if the younger crowd even uses the radio unless they are in their cars) - but, short of asking the crowd for requests, just try some current songs that you guys like - ones that you can do well and still enjoy and sound like yourselves, and let it sort itself out.

Mike B

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I presume you have a male singer? Our cover band has both male and female, and she sings most of the recent songs, while he's older and sings 'classics'.

We do get a good response from Uptown Funk and Can't Stop the Feeling (J Timberlake). Also Chasing Cars and I'm Yours . We tried Memories by Maroon Five, but it didn't gel for us.
Ironically "September" and "Sweet Caroline" have both become popular with younger crowds recently too. (September because its in an Avengers movie.)

specgrade

Krokus, Dokken, The Blizzard Of Ozz, Helix, Dangerous Toys, Britny Fox, Cinderella, Ratt, Dio, Guns 'n Roses, AC/DC, Bullet Boys.

johnwesley

Silver Member
In The Midnight Hour
Twist and Shout
Good Lovin'
White Lightnin'
YMCA
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Mony Mony
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Fightin' Side of Me

Then you play Mandy just to disappoint everyone and get them to sit down before coming back after a break with

Long Live Rock
Do You Love Me?
Summertime Blues
California Girls
Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man
Road Food
Friends in Low Places
Lucille
Maybelline
Walk Like a Man

Then you play Do You Know the Way to San Jose? just to disappoint everyone and get them to sit down before coming back after a break and start over at the top. By now everyone should be drunk enough they'll not realize they've heard it all before.

Angus Macinnes

La Bamba-Ritchie Valens
Rocking in the USA-Neil Young
Oye Como Va-Santana
Keep Your Hands to Yourself-Georgia Satellites
Roadhouse Blues-Doors
Smooth-Santana

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Krokus, Dokken, The Blizzard Of Ozz, Helix, Dangerous Toys, Britny Fox, Cinderella, Ratt, Dio, Guns 'n Roses, AC/DC, Bullet Boys.
In The Midnight Hour
Twist and Shout
Good Lovin'
White Lightnin'
YMCA
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Mony Mony
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Fightin' Side of Me
Long Live Rock
Do You Love Me?
Summertime Blues
California Girls
Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man
Road Food
Friends in Low Places
Lucille
Maybelline
Walk Like a Man
La Bamba-Ritchie Valens
Rocking in the USA-Neil Young
Oye Como Va-Santana
Keep Your Hands to Yourself-Georgia Satellites
Roadhouse Blues-Doors
Smooth-Santana
Wow, I had no idea these were all from the 90s.