Question for 24" x 14" kick drum owners.

cdrums21

Gold Member
I just tune by ear.
Nice Craviotto kit! Just for the record, I tune by ear as well. Once I get it to where it sounds right to me, then I quantify it via a pitch pipe or app that shows the frequency. That enables me to reproduce the tuning easily and tell someone else what pitches my drums are tuned to, if asked. “Medium low” or “A little above JAW”.....terms like that are vague and not specific enough if someone wants to know how tight or loose a drum is tuned to....at least for me. That’s why I included the readings.

Last edited:

cdrums21

Gold Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but here is an example of where the app came in handy. It’s the “drum tune pro” app for iPhones. I don’t really use it much, I tune by ear mostly, only use it for reference now and then. I have 16” and 18” floor toms. They sound great, nice pitch interval between them. Out of curiosity, I checked to see what the fundamental pitch was of each tom to see what interval, 3rd-4th, they were tuned to. The app showed that the 18” floor tom was a hair away from making the interval a major third. I tweaked it ever so slightly and the pitch became a little clearer and the interval was more distinct between the two toms. A small improvement, but an improvement none the less. Would anyone else have noticed that the drums weren’t in a third interval? Probably not. Does it matter all that much? I doubt it. I agree that it’s a bit OCD to be that anal about it, but that’s just me. I’m a tuning geek! 😁

Last edited:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
A little update on head selection also...

I put on a clear CS CLEAR DOT on my 26, and the sound is full and "natural" with punch.
The clear dot material is a little 'softer' sounding in the impact than a Black Dot (which I put on the 18x24...).
The amount of shell resonance can be more or less contained by muting or whatever people would use.

One thing I did use is an AHEAD bass drum gel "mute".
It basically dampens the head vibration, and tightens up the sound a little without muffling the whole drum.
Some people seem to get hung up on "muffling the bass drum" like it's some sort of status thing to have noting in the shell.
Whatever...
Anyhow, this thing works great if you want to drop the pitch a little without sacrificing a nicer feel and action--and the mic's will like it too.
There are 4 "dampers" in a pack, and it's less than $20 for the package.

I only use one, at the bottom position. The thing is about 10" across. There is a flat side, and a ridged side for different amounts of head contact. I used the ridged side on the head, flat facing out.Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 12.21.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-06 at 12.21.45 PM.png

Not my bass drum, just a screen shot.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Interesting.....never saw that one before. Kinda cool. So I could put that on the inside of my reso head by reaching through the port hole and placing it. Hmmmmm.....I may have to check that out!