Question about washers and tension rod

Copeland

I just received my new Ludwig Evolution Maple 7-piece. The tension rods for the bass drum already have metal washers slid on. But inside the little baggie they came in, there are also plastic washers. Am I supposed to stack the washers before I slide the tension rod through the claw? And if so, does the plastic washer go on top or bottom? Or are these plastic washers supposed to go somewhere else?0708202010b~2.jpg

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If your tension rods already have metal washers, it’s completely up to you if you want to use the plastic ones. They’re basically to help eliminate metal-to-metal contact (theory being that those could create noise or damage ), but that has never happened. So it’s up to you to use as you see fit. Drummers have used metal washers since the beginning of the modern drumset, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Copeland

If your tension rods already have metal washers, it’s completely up to you if you want to use the plastic ones. They’re basically to help eliminate metal-to-metal contact (theory being that those could create noise or damage ), but that has never happened. So it’s up to you to use as you see fit. Drummers have used metal washers since the beginning of the modern drumset, so I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks!! That was fast response.

NouveauCliche

Here is a lengthy discussion.

I personally have plastic washers on everything except for my snare because I'm not a huge fan of metal on metal so I feel that nylon moves a little better and seems to grip better - but honestly I'd be willing to be that if I was blindfolded I might not be able to tell the difference.

As Bo said - Metal has been used since forever successfully - you should experiment with the head on one drum to see if you personally like the feel of plastic vs. metal.

On a side note - it's cool that Ludwing includes both!

johnwesley

Silver Member
They’re basically to help eliminate metal-to-metal contact (theory being that those could create noise or damage ), but that has never happened.
If you don't put the plastic washers on AND you hear noise (rattling, etc.) my guess is you're not playing loud enough! LOL

Copeland

Still doing this setup. Now the bass pedal is hitting the screw before striking the bass drum. Hard to believe that a brand new pedal wouldnt be set up properly

specgrade

Still doing this setup. Now the bass pedal is hitting the screw before striking the bass drum. Hard to believe that a brand new pedal wouldnt be set up properly
Anything "brand new" will probably need to be tweaked to your liking. Tis the way of the world.
I'd use the plastic washers on the snare. Maybe they will keep the rods from loosening.

Copeland

Anything "brand new" will probably need to be tweaked to your liking. Tis the way of the world.
I'd use the plastic washers on the snare. Maybe they will keep the rods from loosening.
Yeah. But in this case the pedal is not even usable. The footboard of the pedal strikes the big-@$$ claw screw that Ludwig uses well BEFORE the beater reached the drum head. There is no way to remove a chain link. I have loosened the cam screw on the side of the pedal, and it does raise the footboard higher, but is also causes the beater to rotate backward at even a further angle (practically 90 degrees) than normal. So by the team the beater reaches the drum face, the pedal has bottomed out again. This isn't a setup issue, it's a defect issue.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a few snares that came with metal washers and I added nylon washers. I find them easier to turn small amounts when tuning than just the metal ones. Photo for the pedal help.

Justinhub2003

I recently purchased leather bolt tight washers from Canopus

Installed them on my entire drum collection just because I feel like leather is a better washer than metal on metal or metal on plastic

NouveauCliche

I recently purchased leather bolt tight washers from Canopus

Installed them on my entire drum collection just because I feel like leather is a better washer than metal on metal or metal on plastic

I know a couple of guys that play Canopus and their washers came attached to the tuning rod - like glued on. Did you get just the washers or was it the whole tuning rod too?

Justinhub2003

I know a couple of guys that play Canopus and their washers came attached to the tuning rod - like glued on. Did you get just the washers or was it the whole tuning rod too?

I bought 6 packs of these.

But you can also buy the tension rod with them installed already.