question about toms

robyn64

am thinking of adding a tom to my 4pc set. right now i have a 12" mounted tom and a 14" floor tom and also a 6,8,10 roto tom rack. i love the sounds, and the "feel" of toms. i'd like to add another but not sure which size to go with. should i stay traditional and go with a 13" or what if i got another 12" that has more depth or less then the 12" i already have? what is the difference between, lets say, a 12x8 and a 12x10 for an exsample? i kinda know what sound i am looking for but just not sure how to go by getting that sound. any ideas?

I would buy a 10 x 9 tom for the rack set. Diameter of 10 that is. 10, 12, 14

I would buy a 10 x 9 tom for the rack set. Diameter of 10 that is. 10, 12, 14

ok my 12" is 8" deep. am looking at a 10x8 and a 12x10, what would be the difference between the two 12"ers (12x10 n 12x8)

ok my 12" is 8" deep. am looking at a 10x8 and a 12x10, what would be the difference between the two 12"ers (12x10 n 12x8)

The theory would be that the 12x8 is brighter and more responsive than the 12x10, which should be deeper with a percieved lower pitch and less responsive, but in reality, it's much more narrow than that, you can make the 12x8 as deep as the other one, and vice-versa, make the 12x10 sound very bright, tuning is king here...

The theory would be that the 12x8 is brighter and more responsive than the 12x10, which should be deeper with a percieved lower pitch and less responsive, but in reality, it's much more narrow than that, you can make the 12x8 as deep as the other one, and vice-versa, make the 12x10 sound very bright, tuning is king here...

ok, thanks mad. so would it be silly for me to go with the two different 12s or should i just go with a 10? i'm thinking maybe i just better go with a 10

ok, thanks mad. so would it be silly for me to go with the two different 12s or should i just go with a 10? i'm thinking maybe i just better go with a 10

Yes, the 2 12" toms will have a very similar pitch and only a slight difference in timbre when tuned similarly. You can tune one very tight and have a good difference in pitch, but then it may not have the quality of sound that you want. As you probably know, different tunings not only affect pitch, but also the type of sound you achieve. Personally, I like at least a 2 in difference in diameters between toms, so I would go with a 10 tom if you want a higher voice, or a 16" floor tom if you want something to the lower end. Since you sounded as if you wanted something between the 12 and 14, I would lean toward the 16" but that is totally personal preference.

Yes, the 2 12" toms will have a very similar pitch and only a slight difference in timbre when tuned similarly. You can tune one very tight and have a good difference in pitch, but then it may not have the quality of sound that you want. As you probably know, different tunings not only affect pitch, but also the type of sound you achieve. Personally, I like at least a 2 in difference in diameters between toms, so I would go with a 10 tom if you want a higher voice, or a 16" floor tom if you want something to the lower end. Since you sounded as if you wanted something between the 12 and 14, I would lean toward the 16" but that is totally personal preference.

+1 , on top of that, two 12" toms tuned differently to have a noticable difference in pitch will also have a different feel when you play them.

I like 2" difference in diameters too, so yes, 10" or 16" depending if want more highs or more lows, a 16" choice would imply a 1 up 2 down set-up too.

ok guys, thanks alot, i get what you are saying with the tuning and it does make alot of since beings you explained the way you did so i think i am looking more torwards a 10" then later on may also go with a 16" floor if the 10 doesn't do what i am looking for. not spending alot so won't be out much if it is not what i like, can't imagine me not liking a tom tho, my favorite part of drums, love those toms. ;) thanks again.

ok guys, i made up my mind (well kind of sort of) i decided the only way i am gonna know for sure what i want is to have both in front of me so with that...i purchased 1 of each, a 10x8 and a 12x10, got them both for a decent price so figured try them both and keep what i like best and pass on the ones i don't like (if any).

i'm real excited, i got new heads, cymbals, and some of the parts that are missing and a hi hat stand and a kick coming in soon oh and the two toms also. can't wait to get my kit all together and sounding good, did i mention...i'm excited. :)

I too would have to go with a 10" drum. I have both 10" x 8" and 10" x 7" that are paired with 12" x 9" and 12" x 8" toms. Later get a 16" floor tom for a great bottom end extension.

Dennis

...i purchased 1 of each, a 10x8 and a 12x10, got them both for a decent price so figured try them both and keep what i like best and pass on the ones i don't like (if any).
Always a good way to go. Nothing like physically having two drums, side by side, to compare.​

i'm real excited, i got new heads, cymbals, and some of the parts that are missing and a hi hat stand and a kick coming in soon oh and the two toms also. can't wait to get my kit all together and sounding good, did i mention...i'm excited. :)

Cool, congrats, don't forget to upload some pics... (and a clip whenever you're ready)

Cool, congrats, don't forget to upload some pics... (and a clip whenever you're ready)

yep will get some photos as soon as i get every thing set up and.......a lit'l clip might be a bit on the clip tho, kinda camera shy.

How about a 15" floor tom? That's a size you just don't see anymore.
way to go bo...putting ideas in my head...and you know what happens then? yep...i'll probly be spending more money now. thanks alot bo, lol :)

I'm another fan of the 2" diameter spacing too, as I currently run 8, 10, 12, 14 up, 16, 18 down. Personally I'd go with a 10" rack or 16" floor if they offer them in your shells. DW Piccolo toms would be another great--and inexpensive--option too.

Back