Question about the Gretsch Renown '57

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hi everyone,
Just one simple question about the Gretsch Renown '57 Motor City. As some may know through the forum "your gear", I purchased a 5 piece Candy Red Motor City. A real bargain, as good as new.
I know the '57 was a limited edition, I know that the red and the black ones were available in 2012 only. But how limited was this edition ? How many were available worldwide or USA/Europe ?
Thanks very much if you've got any hint.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you are asking if they will ever be worth anything because of their limited run, then I doubt it. Looks like people are asking a crazy amount for them on eBay, but I don't know if they are actually fetching that sort of price. Buy them because you love the sound and the look, not as an investment. I've only known two people (one in real life, one online who I used to talk to a lot) who owned these kits, and both of them sold them within a matter of months of having them. YMMV. Best of luck!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
No, I actually kind of appreciate this kit, and was curious about the limited thing. It seems pretty rare.
It's a rather bold finish, I must say.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I don't know how limited but I regret not picking up the aqua kit when they were being blown out around $600.

Reactions: TJK

charliedrummer

I'm not sure how many of these kits were produced but they definitely were a very limited run. The chevrons can be peeled off, for those who didn't care for their look, so there are probably a few solid color kits in use today that were formerly Renown '57s. I too wish I had jumped on one of these when they were being blown out.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I'm not sure how many of these kits were produced but they definitely were a very limited run. The chevrons can be peeled off, for those who didn't care for their look, so there are probably a few solid color kits in use today that were formerly Renown '57s. I too wish I had jumped on one of these when they were being blown out.
Same here.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
" The one that got away '". Almost had a set, but it's a long story.

Please don't remove the chevrons.
I’m not sure i’ll keep this kit because I already have two kits : a Premier shell bank of 10 drums, my small « drum room » is well loaded. But if I keep it, I will never peel off the chevron. Plain candy colour is rather common, the personality and the cool part of the kit is the chevron (and the sound). It’s true I prefer more subdued finish, but I can always turn up the RIMS so that the Tom chevron doesn’t face the audience. Again, the quality is top notch, the chevron is embossed, very well made.
Soundwise, I still prefer my Signia though, warmer tone. But I’m really looking forward to take the Renown on the road.

Last edited: