Question about Sonor Drums

Elvis

Silver Member
Anyone around know anything about the current crop of offerings from Sonor?

In particular, the Force 2007.

I was over at the site the other day and noticed that the shells are listed as 9 ply Birch.
I know, in the past, Sonor has worked pretty exclusively with "Scandinavian Birch" shells, but what about the 2007's?
Are these Asian drums with Sonor's name slapped on them, or is this like the second coming of the Sonorlites?

Elvis

Anyone around know anything about the current crop of offerings from Sonor?

In particular, the Force 2007.

I was over at the site the other day and noticed that the shells are listed as 9 ply Birch.
I know, in the past, Sonor has worked pretty exclusively with "Scandinavian Birch" shells, but what about the 2007's?
Are these Asian drums with Sonor's name slapped on them, or is this like the second coming of the Sonorlites?

Elvis

These drums are made at Sonor's factory in China. Sonor is very hands on in this factory with German representatives heavily involved in checking the production standards.

So they're NOT an update of the old Sonorlite series.
Gotcha.
Thanks guys.

Elvis

The update on the lites would be the S-Classix, thin scandinavian birch shells with either a wrap or exotic wood finish. Chek them out, they're quite a bit more expensive than the 2007's though!
PC

Yeah, but the shell is much thinner on the S-Classix, not to mention the over-engineered hardware.
I was more interested in the 2007's. It's just seems like a more "honest" and "Straight forward" kit.
If they're nothing like the old Sonorlites, then I'll pass.
Thanks for the info, though, pcastag.

Elvsi

I don't really have experience with the S-classix, but looking at Sonor's website it looks as if they have the same hardware as the 3007 and 2007 series. Am I missing something? I really like the hardware on my 3003s. Pretty durable and easy to adjust with the omni ball and the mounting makes it possible to change heads without removing the hardware. I've heard other rims type mounts are a pain to change heads.

How is Sonor hardware over-engineered?

How about 3007 Maple series ? Many people think that they are canadian/NA Maple, is it true ? I haven't got any info yet that mentioning this series is made from Canadian/NA Maple ?

MAPEX up to 2006 Catalog still mentioning that Pro-M Line is made from Thin North American Maple.

Anyone has any clue on this ?

How about 3007 Maple series ? Many people think that they are canadian/NA Maple, is it true ? I haven't got any info yet that mentioning this series is made from Canadian/NA Maple ?

MAPEX up to 2006 Catalog still mentioning that Pro-M Line is made from Thin North American Maple.

Anyone has any clue on this ?

You should be able to learn what you need here http://www.sonor.com/

The Pro M line was discontinued in 2009.....It's now the Meridian line of Maple or birch shells.....And they use the same maple or birch..... That HAS NOT CHANGED....And the 2007 series is NOT THE same as the Pro M line......For you who think that because the drums are made in China that makes them inferior....YOUR SADLY MISTAKEN.......You want the real info on Mapex go to www.centerstagem.com

I don't really have experience with the S-classix, but looking at Sonor's website it looks as if they have the same hardware as the 3007 and 2007 series. Am I missing something? I really like the hardware on my 3003s. Pretty durable and easy to adjust with the omni ball and the mounting makes it possible to change heads without removing the hardware. I've heard other rims type mounts are a pain to change heads.

How is Sonor hardware over-engineered?

Not at all the same hardware. Lugs and hoops are shared with the SQ2 not the force series.

Not at all the same hardware. Lugs and hoops are shared with the SQ2 not the force series.

This is true. The lugs are different. For some reason I always think of stands and mountings as hardware and not the lugs and hoops. I always lump those in as being part of the drum itself. I guess they are hardware though. Or part of the drum? Or both!

I still don't see how they are over-engineered though. I've never seen them up close, just on the website.

This is true. The lugs are different. For some reason I always think of stands and mountings as hardware and not the lugs and hoops. I always lump those in as being part of the drum itself. I guess they are hardware though. Or part of the drum? Or both!

I still don't see how they are over-engineered though. I've never seen them up close, just on the website.

Stands and mounts are sold separately with the S-classix kit. You can choose 100 200 400 600 series. I chose mosty yamaha stands with mine and a 400 series tom mount.

Wayne

Pavlos,

After writing that "over-engineered" statement, I went back to Sonor's website and looked again.
You're right, the hardware is not "over-engineered".
I was thinking of an older line of hardware they used to offer.
Seems they've "calmed" things down a bit.
...and I, like yourself, was lumping all the metallic parts together as "hardware".
My apologies if my prior statement has caused any confusion amongst any of you.

Elvis

Hey that's cool, no apology neccesary. I know what you mean about the older hardware. Like that huge chrome slide thing that used to be on the designer bass drums. I wonder how much that weighed?

I may move up from the Force series sometime in the future and just want to get more info.

The Pro M line was discontinued in 2009.....It's now the Meridian line of Maple or birch shells.....And they use the same maple or birch..... That HAS NOT CHANGED....And the 2007 series is NOT THE same as the Pro M line......For you who think that because the drums are made in China that makes them inferior....YOUR SADLY MISTAKEN.......You want the real info on Mapex go to www.centerstagem.com
HA!
"Meridian"...used to be "Mars".
I wonder what it'll be in another 10 years.

Elvis

Hey that's cool, no apology neccesary. I know what you mean about the older hardware. Like that huge chrome slide thing that used to be on the designer bass drums. I wonder how much that weighed?

I may move up from the Force series sometime in the future and just want to get more info.
Yeah, that's probably what I was thinking of.
While I'm sure it worked well, as intended, I'm sure that big ol' block of metal must've added a pretty fair amount to the weight of the drums.
Seemed like it was kind of a fad. I think DW had something similar around that time.

Elvis

Back