Question about rubber gasket under imperial lugs

someguy01

Platinum Member
if we all bought drums for the sound we would live a very boring life with no color
So do you just buy drums based on looks? As in, it's tone doesn't matter?
I'm not knocking you or anything, just seems odd that you make it seem as if the sound of the drum is insignificant to it's visual aesthetic. I find that perplexing.
I buy for sound as looks can be changed/fixed/manipulated in many ways, but the sound is the sound.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
When I removed the ones on mine there was no marking at all without the gaskets :)

There are a few aspects to the gasket argument, but as to preventing scratches, I don't get it.

Oh, I get that a gasket eliminates the potential friction (and pressure to an extent) that can mar the shell beneath it. I just don't get why that's important when you normally don't even see what's happening under a lug, throw-off, etc. The first time I saw gaskets were on Rogers (Island Music era) snares in the mid-late '80s. They were green felt, I believe. An elegant touch perhaps, maybe it was supposed to suggest careful craftsmanship. But even then I didn't know why trying to protect the shell under the hardware was a thing.

There's one possibility for that aspect of gaskets, although everyone was a little late to the table. Way back in the sixties and seventies, when drummers were wont to remove the reso heads on their toms and bass drums, they occasionally also removed the lugs on that side of the shell. Whether to eliminate rattling from the inserts, or for a cleaner "concert tom" look, it revealed what was under the lug. If the shell was wrapped, you could expect the indentations from the lug to be visible, and on older wraps that had yellowed/faded from exposure to light, you would see the original, unaltered color. Natural/lacquered shells also showed the marks and in some cases revealed the discoloration or fading of the lacquer and stain. Gaskets would certainly have prevented some of that, but at the time, companies didn't anticipate that drummers might alter the product in any way.

Long story short, doesn't anybody really care what the shell looks like under the lugs? Are pristine parts of a shell important if they're not visible under normal circumstances... such as, the drum just being a drum?

Fritz Frigursson

So do you just buy drums based on looks? As in, it's tone doesn't matter?
I'm not knocking you or anything, just seems odd that you make it seem as if the sound of the drum is insignificant to it's visual aesthetic. I find that perplexing.
I buy for sound as looks can be changed/fixed/manipulated in many ways, but the sound is the sound.
i think i explained myself sufficiently in that post? never said tone doesn’t matter, i put looks on the same parameter as sound when choosing gear. if one is missing i don’t buy the drum. call me superficial but i am willing to bet a lot of you guys don’t 100% make the decision on sound

Fritz Frigursson

Long story short, doesn't anybody really care what the shell looks like under the lugs? Are pristine parts of a shell important if they're not visible under normal circumstances... such as, the drum just being a drum?
do you ever clean the floor under your furniture (tables, sofas and the likes)? or do you just leave the dust and whatever is under there alone? i think that is an appropriate analogy. just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. and that bothers some people.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
do you ever clean the floor under your furniture (tables, sofas and the likes)? or do you just leave the dust and whatever is under there alone? i think that is an appropriate analogy. just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. and that bothers some people.

If the dust - visible or not - is likely to affect anything in any way, of course I clean it.

There's nothing going on under the hardware attached to the shell of a drum. The only reasons I would remove a lug are 1) to clean the shell better where the lug edge may hamper that when still attached, 2) to repair or replace the lug, or 3) to remove the gasket underneath it.

Ooops! Did I say that??

Tamaefx

Silver Member
About the gasket thing, I‘d like to share my own experience with a very less desirable Tama Metalwork 14x6,5. I removed all the lug gaskets, the plastic washers, throw off gasket. In short, no plastic left but the throw hinge . And bingo, the drum came out much much more lively, with the typical ring That lacked before I do that.
It was more pleasant to play, rimshots sounded better, I didn’t expect I would feel the difference that much.

But this is a metal snare, and I think all the metal part need to vibrate together.
I wonder if taking off those plastic/ rubber element from a wood shell would have the same dramatic effect ?

Last edited:

Drum Guy

good info indeed y'all - couple of the responses seem to indicate Ludwig went to rubber gaskets in order to elevate the splay with now occurs due to using a new manufacturer of hoops.

So question: Can you buy from any manufacturer original diameter hoops for a black beauty and bronze ludwigs, which will have no splay? Or if I buy old 70, 80's Ludwig hoops will this fit new 2021/2022 Ludwig BB and Bronze snares?

Or does removing the new gaskets not create much splay anyway, and just don't worry about it?

Last edited: