Question about older "new" Ludwig

JakeyD

Hey Ludwig guys -- so you might have seen the kit I grabbed off of Ebay on the "removing sharpie" thread -- I just wanted to ask some of the more season Ludwig historians if you can tell me a bit about my kit. Each drum is stamped on the inside with 052203, which I'm assuming is May 22, 2003, for a date of manufacture. Is that correct? Can anyone point me in the direction of more details about the kits that Ludwig was making then, specifically the maple kits?

Here's a pic of the snare, if it helps -- you can see the serial number "3396093".

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67013&stc=1&d=1424984104

It's champagne sparkle, mini-classic lugs. Rocker-style tom mount off the bass drum with the clamps mounted directly to the shell as opposed to the RIMS-style mounts.

Anyway, thanks for any info you can give me!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
You're right about the date stamp,but the serial number is pretty much useless,except for insurance purposes,to identify a stolen drum.Serial numbers are usless,as far as dating a drum, after 1984.Ludwig,at the time made 2 different lines of the Classic series,one in maple,one in birch.You can tell the difference by the color of the badges.The classic maple shells,had a gold tinted badge,like yours,and the birch shells,had a silver tinted badges.

Steve B

Last edited:

JakeyD

Nice, thanks for the reply. So 2003 would be after the switch over to the 7-ply shells, from the 9-ply? I read somewhere that they stopped making 9-ply in 2001. I could just look at the bearing edges but I've got them all tuned up and don't want to mess with them ;)

KamaK

Platinum Member
Nice, thanks for the reply. So 2003 would be after the switch over to the 7-ply shells, from the 9-ply? I read somewhere that they stopped making 9-ply in 2001. I could just look at the bearing edges but I've got them all tuned up and don't want to mess with them ;)
My "Dec 97" CM snare is a 7-ply. To find out what you have, simply turn your snare upside-down and count. No need to remove the head.