Question about Mapex Saturn Pro 1988

FonzTech

Hi at all! It has been three and half years since my last visit here.
Here I am because of a very though question:
Look at this drumset (I can't provide you a higher res picture):
6002543_1546690465.jpg

Seller claims that is a Mapex Saturn Pro from 1988, made in maple. He is not sure about basswood.
I can't find trustful informations online about it, because of the badges.
They seem not to be the ordinary gold badges.
What kind of wood does this drumkit have?
I think it's maple and basswood, because of the light color inside the bassdrum.
Anyway, there is here some expert which can give me some advice?
I'm planning to sell my drumkit, made with Keller shells, because I have only 22/12/13/16, so I see if a 70km x 2 trip is worth it.
Also the Mapex drumkit is being sold with hardware, which are perfect to be mounted on my rack, without buying additional hardware.
Please, give me some advices!
Thanks in advance!

What country do you live in? I owned a Saturn Pro kit in the first year they became available in the United States, and the kit looked nothing like those.

GeeDeeEmm

I've also never seen a Mapex kit like that, and I don't Mapex existed in 1988.

I think maple/basswood is a good guess for shell construction. I think all Saturns were some combination of those two woods prior to them going to maple/walnut just prior to the Saturn III version.

What country do you live in? I owned a Saturn Pro kit in the first year they became available in the United States, and the kit looked nothing like those.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm guessing since he said he had to drive 70kmx2 it isn't the US.

Hi! Thanks for the replies.
I know that it doesn't look like legacy Saturn Pros. Expecially for the lugs!
I live in Italy and seller wanna sell the Saturn for 900 euros.
I asked around and some have said that it's a bit too much.
I could find a Saturn 3 (maple + walnut) for that price.
Do you have any idea?
Thanks in advance!

Mapex started producing drums in 1989.

I've never seen a Mapex kit with those Pearl-style tom holders, or those lugs. The oldest Mapex kits I've seen still had similar tom mounts to what they use today (L-arms), and the lugs were one long piece.

Maybe this is a very, very early model from before all of that; who knows?

Mapex started producing drums in 1989.

I've never seen a Mapex kit with those Pearl-style tom holders, or those lugs. The oldest Mapex kits I've seen still had similar tom mounts to what they use today (L-arms), and the lugs were one long piece.

Maybe this is a very, very early model from before all of that; who knows?

No clue either. Like you said, I have not seen one with those lugs either.

It is possible someone replaced the tom mounts and lugs, but on that many drums it is fairly unlikely.

If you can get a Saturn III (which is a fantastic set of drums) for the same price as these mystery drums I wouldn't give it a second thought. I think the Saturn III is the best era of Saturn drums by a wide margin.

If you can get a Saturn III (which is a fantastic set of drums) for the same price as these mystery drums I wouldn't give it a second thought. I think the Saturn III is the best era of Saturn drums by a wide margin.

Completely agree with this :)

I have heard that also about Saturn III. How does one determine if it is a Saturn III if looking for them?

Hi there. Did you ever solve this mystery? I have a similar Mapex kick - same lugs and tom holders.

Attachments

• BF26B41D-5625-49AA-A848-3138C9CBE6E6.jpeg
    BF26B41D-5625-49AA-A848-3138C9CBE6E6.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 12
Just a guess on my first impression but, I don’t believe any companies were putting gaskets on their lugs in 1988.

I have heard that also about Saturn III. How does one determine if it is a Saturn III if looking for them?

The lugs and badges look like this

Attachments

• 312477-5.jpg
    312477-5.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 6
Just a guess on my first impression but, I don’t believe any companies were putting gaskets on their lugs in 1988.
Tama had gaskets on their Artstar 2's in 87,
Sonor had gaskets on the Hilite series in 88.

Nicko McBrain had a custom Sonor Phonic Hitech with white gaskets under black lugs. That was 1986.

If pushed I'd say it's not a Mapex. The lugs, Tom mounts, badges and even logo on the bass drum all look wrong.
If it is Mapex it'll be so far removed from the first desirable Saturn, the walnut shelled Saturn III, that I'd just look elsewhere rather than buy this mystery kit.

Back