Question about Ludwig Classic Maples

Lennytoons

I'm selling my 2013 Gretsch Renowns and replacing them with Ludwig Classic Maples. I've played the Ludwigs and love the way they sound. My question concerns the bearing edges on the Ludwigs. I've spoken to more than one person who had issues with less than perfect bearing edges on the CMs. Anyone have any experience recently in this regard? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Peter256

There are no obvious issues with my 2019 CM edges. Haven't put them on a marble slab and done a light test, just going by looks and running my fingers on the edges.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
From what I've read, Ludwig went through a period of QC issues a few years ago but the current production line is solid. I would also love to get a set of Classic Maples, by the way. Please let us know what you think of them.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This past April, I bought a set of Ludwig Classic Maples that were made back in the early 2000's. I love them. I've changed the heads, and I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary in regards to bearing edges or quality. I've played them at dozens of gigs since then. They are my go-to set these days.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'm selling my 2013 Gretsch Renowns and replacing them with Ludwig Classic Maples. I've played the Ludwigs and love the way they sound. My question concerns the bearing edges on the Ludwigs. I've spoken to more than one person who had issues with less than perfect bearing edges on the CMs. Anyone have any experience recently in this regard? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Nice.

The edges on my Classic Maples have been fine - nice and flat (level) and very smooth.
Are you getting new Ludwigs?
I've read about some people who got older ones where the edges were pretty beat up,
but they sounded so good, they were afraid to re-do them.
And 'less than perfect' - some people can be extremely picky and might see a problem
where none exists. We'd have to see and play them and judge for ourself.