Question about Giant Beats

retoxtony

Ive been kicking around the idea of picking up some Giant Beats, specifically the 24 inch ride and maybe a 20" as well. I've been watching some online ads (eBay, reverb, etc) and I keep coming across ads that call some of them Multi Cymbals. So my question is, is there any difference between a Giant beat listed as a ride cymbal vs a multi cymbal? Are all of them just considered a crash/ride?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Barring the hi hats all the cymbals are multis but the 24 is probably listed as a ride due to the size and the fact Bonham used one as a ride.

That aside they're some of my favourite cymbals for the price. I have the 18 and 20. They're a perfect introduction into thin crashes.

S

savage8190

They're all multi's except the thin crashes. There's both an 18 and 20 inch multi AND 18 and 20 inch thin.

I have the 24 and 18 multi and LOVE them.

retoxtony

Ok thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured but just wanted to be sure. Still a little on the fence about getting these, I've been making a few calls and no stores within a 4 hour drive anywhere near me have a set to try out, so I'd be buying them online and going by YouTube videos and sound clips. I think I know what to expect, but it's still a lot of money to spend on something that I can't try out before buying.

S

savage8190

Ok thanks guys. That's pretty much what I figured but just wanted to be sure. Still a little on the fence about getting these, I've been making a few calls and no stores within a 4 hour drive anywhere near me have a set to try out, so I'd be buying them online and going by YouTube videos and sound clips. I think I know what to expect, but it's still a lot of money to spend on something that I can't try out before buying.

FWIW I got to try out 3 different sets before buying and they all sounded identical and the YouTube videos pretty much nail the sound. Paiste is VERY consistent. I hear ya though...I have a real hard time ordering things online.

retoxtony

FWIW I got to try out 3 different sets before buying and they all sounded identical and the YouTube videos pretty much nail the sound. Paiste is VERY consistent. I hear ya though...I have a real hard time ordering things online.

I had read elsewhere that there is some variation within the Giant beat lineup (like most cymbals) so i would have liked to try them out, but not sure if thats gonna happen. I've also been looking for a set of Paiste dark crisp hats to try out after using a set at a shared gig a while back. They go for over $600 in Canada so trying them out would be great before buying.

Online ordering is what i almost always have to do. Only one music store within 60miles of me and the selection is pretty bad and the prices are easily 25% more than online retailers. Its too bad because i've ended up with some real duds over the years that i ordered without trying first.

S

savage8190

I had read elsewhere that there is some variation within the Giant beat lineup (like most cymbals) so i would have liked to try them out, but not sure if thats gonna happen. I've also been looking for a set of Paiste dark crisp hats to try out after using a set at a shared gig a while back. They go for over $600 in Canada so trying them out would be great before buying.

Online ordering is what i almost always have to do. Only one music store within 60miles of me and the selection is pretty bad and the prices are easily 25% more than online retailers. Its too bad because i've ended up with some real duds over the years that i ordered without trying first.

I doubt that...Paiste uses reference cybals to ensure consistency; they use the same methods with the GB'S as with their other cymbals...probably Internet hog wash ;).

I'm in Canada too...I'd say Long and McQuade but I hate how if they don't have them in stock they don't offer the same return policy because it's a "custom order." You're out a deposit if you don't like them and they still resell them for full price...it's a load.

No Saskatchewan stores have them in stock? It's a pretty big investment; might be worth a bit of a drive. Tons of em here in BC but that's a bit far. :)

G

Ghostnote

The L&M in Saskatoon on 43rd Street has a 24. They did a week ago anyway...They are incredibly consistent, so if you like them in clips you're going to like them in person.

Paiste did make a handful of "Giant Beat Rides" that weighed in around 3200g right before they launched the reissues, but I would imagine anything you see listed is a multi. I've tried finding one of the 24" "rides" and they are impossible to find.

If you are a hard-hitting and/or use beefy sticks, I would steer you away from them. They are not the most durable cymbals out there. I've dented the bell on my 24 and I had a 20" crash that I only used a handful of times and the edge was starting to get small dents in it. If you don't hit that hard then you shouldn't have a problem with them.

Roadydad

Try Dave"s drum shop in Ottawa, he's an excellent guy to deal with, and does online orders too.
I have the re-issue 602s and several GBs. The Paiste site sound clips are consistent with the cymbals they distribute.

retoxtony

The L&M in Saskatoon on 43rd Street has a 24. They did a week ago anyway...They are incredibly consistent, so if you like them in clips you're going to like them in person.

Paiste did make a handful of "Giant Beat Rides" that weighed in around 3200g right before they launched the reissues, but I would imagine anything you see listed is a multi. I've tried finding one of the 24" "rides" and they are impossible to find.

If you are a hard-hitting and/or use beefy sticks, I would steer you away from them. They are not the most durable cymbals out there. I've dented the bell on my 24 and I had a 20" crash that I only used a handful of times and the edge was starting to get small dents in it. If you don't hit that hard then you shouldn't have a problem with them.

Thanks, i havent tried L&M in Saskatoon yet. Its a 4 1/2 hour drive (i live in the middle of nowhere) but i am heading up that way in a few weeks. I have found a few lightly used ones and even with the shipping they'll save me $150-200, so thats pretty tempting.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've got a 24 GB.
They're expensive if you buy new, and while I haven't had problems with mine because I'm a light hitter, I've heard stories about them being a bit fragile.

PineyplayParadiddles

While they can be fragile(ish) I'd say that if you treat them well and use correct technique then it's going to be worth the investment. Paiste's are incredibly consistent and GB's are just about the most versatile cymbals I've tried. You won't be disappointed!

retoxtony

Thanks guys, i appreciate the help. Every thread you read about these cymbals on here they get nothing but glowing reviews, and every vid or clip i've heard they do sound pretty great, but its a lot of cash for something i really don't need. I already have 5 other rides that cover pretty much everything i could want so this one really isnt needed. I think i'm gonna sit on it for a week or two and if i still have the urge then i'll really start digging for some used ones.

zenghost

Another vote for the Giant Beats. I have the 24" Multi, 15" hats and 18 and 20 Thins. I tried the 18 and 20 Multis but found the Thins sounded and felt best to me.

Superb cymbals all around in my opinion. Great combination of sparkle and warmth.

The 24" GB is a special cymbal in my opinion - beautiful ride that will open up nicely when crashed. I do not play high volumes, compared to some, with them and I treat them with respect - no issues.