Question about dw mcd pedal

defregano

Anyone familiar with the machined chain drive pedal that knows if it’s possible to replace the chain with a strap? From the pics I’ve seen I don’t see the usual drum key bolt that would hold the chain like other pedals have.

I don't have this pedal, but I would say yes. Someone had to assemble it, and the chain isn't born on there. If you are good with assembly/disassembly, take it apart and see.

I have the MDD's. I would have thought there would be the option to use straps on the MCD's. Just like there is on the 9000's :)

You can see on the pictures that there is no drum key bolt. The last chain link is located radially (and not tangentially) in a trough in the cam and is fixed with a bolt (the bolt is parallel to the drive shaft). If this trough is continuous then you can replace the chain relatively easily with a strap. But if it is subdivided (which I suppose) then it is complicated but possible and you need an adapter.

Thanks for the responses guys. Just got a decent deal on a used set of these but prefer a strap over chain. Doesn’t sound like the pedal was manufactured for a strap conversion. . Oh well..not really a deal breaker.

Tools are also made to take this clip off without wirrying about damage.

Back