Question about DW double-tom holder that attaches to bass drum

RollTheBones

Came across a double tom holder (https://www.thomann.de/gb/dw_9900bd_bass_drum_tom_halter.htm) and in the description, it says it just "slides on to the bass drum." Could anyone familiar with this elaborate on that? I have a 24x16 inch custom made kick, and I don't think it has any holes or anything for tom mounting. How does this thing stay fastened to the drum? I see no mention of screws or washers or bolts or any of that.

alparrott

Platinum Member
The bottom of this holder is a slider track that is drilled and bolted to the shell, and then the tube slides forwards and backwards on the track, or can be slid all the way out of the track for when you need to put the drum in a case.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Also be aware this tom mount is SUPER heavy. I picked one up at the drum shop and it felt like 15 pounds of bowling ball. I’m not sure what DW was thinking here. I guess they want everything to be as heavy as their stands.

RollTheBones

Thanks for the replies. Not sure I want to take the chance of ruining my bass drum with bolts and screws. I'm the furthest thing from handy and could probably find a way to break my neck tying my shoes.

Rosta23

Also be aware this tom mount is SUPER heavy. I picked one up at the drum shop and it felt like 15 pounds of bowling ball. I’m not sure what DW was thinking here. I guess they want everything to be as heavy as their stands.
+1

Mustion

I can confirm that this mount is quite heavy and awkward. I bought a vintage kit that had one of these things on it. I thought it was cool at first but ended up swapping it and its associated tom brackets out for original hardware. It seemed like it was as heavy as the kick itself!

notvinnie

DW tom mounts are notoriously badly designed. You need five hands to make adjustments, and things will inevitably slip anyway.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
DW tom mounts are notoriously badly designed. You need five hands to make adjustments, and things will inevitably slip anyway.
I dunno. I've heard you say this before. I've been using DW hardware for 15 years. Double tom holder, single tom holders. Never had an issue adjusting them or having any slippage. Maybe they don't like you. ;)

notvinnie

I dunno. I've heard you say this before. I've been using DW hardware for 15 years. Double tom holder, single tom holders. Never had an issue adjusting them or having any slippage. Maybe they don't like you. ;)
Maybe they just don't handle abuse over time. My experiences are with many DW (and Pacific) drum sets used as backline, and at rehearsal studios. The slippage is epic and chronic. And then adjusting them is an exercise in futility, requiring multiple attempts at positioning.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I would imagine back line and rehearsal studio sets get all kinds of abuse and from people who don't know how to use the equipment properly.