Queen Elizabeth II Dies at the age of 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
In line after him is ……. William ???🤔
Indeed. Also worth remembering that male-preference premogeniture has been abolished and replaced with absolute premogeniture so the position of the Monarch now passes to the eldest child of the monarch upon their passing regardless of whether they're male or female. This probably won't actually affect anything for a very long time but it's an interesting point. This was only changed in 2015. Up until this point it was always the eldest male heir unless there were no male heirs - as was the case with Elizabeth.

Last edited:

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member

ravenson

As a Canadian, I remember her official photos everywhere from grade one till now , even in the Legions where I first started my drumming career you'd see it prominently displayed . Christmas wouldn't be the same without her televised message . Our currency has her portrait . Parliament Hill was always shoulder to shoulder when she visited . Politicians shrunk a few inches standing beside her . Even though I'm not of Anglo Celtic heritage , I felt part of something very big and strong knowing she was there . Time will tell what sort of brave new world we're stepping into .

Drumdame

Silver Member
Queen Elizabeth II fulfilled her calling and did it with grace and grandeur, she was the perfect example of a Royal Queen... from her eloquent speeches to her stately appearances. I always loved Her Majesty.

My heartfelt condolences to the Royal Family and friends all over the world. She will be greatly missed.Screenshot_20220908-203737_Chrome.jpg

Huw Owens

If she had been a drummer, what kit would she have played?

I think Premier would be appropriate?

;)

Thank you to everyone at this forum for keeping this thread respectful - unlike some I’ve seen on other forums.

I was trying to explain to an American friend , and the best I could come up with was: imagine if the Stars & Stripes had died, because that’s what it feels like here.

RIP Ma’am, & God save the King.

Huw Owens

Indeed. Also worth remembering that male-preference premogeniture has been abolished and replaced with absolute premogeniture so the position of the Monarch now passes to the eldest child of the monarch upon their passing regardless of whether they're male or female. This probably won't actually affect anything for a very long time but it's an interesting point. This was only changed in 2015. Up until this point it was always the eldest male heir unless there were no male heirs - as was the case with Elizabeth.

Oddly, there are loopholes to this. Prince Edward’s daughter is older than her brother but comes after him in succession, because she was born before the law changed.

Similarly Princess Anne is down in 16th place, behind her younger brothers and their heirs.

Only the top two or three are likely to be of any importance to the actual succession though.

planoranger

The late Queen deserves our respect---just repaying in kind.
I was trying to explain to an American friend , and the best I could come up with was: imagine if the Stars & Stripes had died, because that’s what it feels like here.
Interesting that you selected our national anthem as an example, and not a person. That says a lot right there (trying to keep the thread respectful, and as apolitical as possible).

Huw Owens

Interesting that you selected our national anthem as an example, and not a person.

I thought the Anthem was the Star Spangled Banner, and that the Stars & Stripes was the flag? Apologies if that’s incorrect.

Anyway, I actually meant the flag, not the National Anthem, but I suppose either carries the basic point I was trying to make to my friend , which was about the importance and value of symbols (not that I believe that symbolism is the only function of our monarchy, ).

:)

planoranger

I thought the Anthem was the Star Spangled Banner, and that the Stars & Stripes was the flag? Apologies if that’s incorrect.

Anyway, I actually meant the flag, not the National Anthem, but I suppose either carries the basic point I was trying to make to my friend , which was about the importance and value of symbols (not that I believe that symbolism is the only function of our monarchy, ).

:)
Man...am I an idiot...what in the world was I thinking???!!! Of course, you are correct. The "Star Spangled Banner" (the most mangled song the world has ever known) IS the national anthem. I guess I should have my citizenship revoked even though I was born here.

Last edited:

planoranger

Oddly, there are loopholes to this. Prince Edward’s daughter is older than her brother but comes after him in succession, because she was born before the law changed.

Similarly Princess Anne is down in 16th place, behind her younger brothers and their heirs.

Only the top two or three are likely to be of any importance to the actual succession though.
At least in the U.K. the line of succession is clearly endowed to a person. Here in the States, the line of succession is done by office. In other words, should the President die while in office, the Vice President becomes the President. Then...should that person die before the next election (if, in the unlikely event no new Vice President was sworn into office), the Speaker of the House (Congress) becomes President. etc., etc., etc. So in essence at least you Brits know who you're "getting".

Drumdame

Silver Member
The words of the National Anthem are as follows:

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member

Well yes, only applies to children born after 2011. Which was probably because Kate and William had just got married...

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
The words of the National Anthem are as follows:

God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
God save the King.
You're forgetting the other verses. Including the one about crushing rebellious Scots.

Drumdame

Silver Member

Lyrics to ‘God Save the King/Queen’?​

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Not in this land alone,
But be God’s mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world o’er.

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O’er her thine arm extend,
For Britain’s sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign!
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
God save the Queen!

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member

Lyrics to ‘God Save the King/Queen’?​

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter our enemies,
And make them fall!
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Not in this land alone,
But be God’s mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world o’er.

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O’er her thine arm extend,
For Britain’s sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign!
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
God save the Queen!

There are so many variations beyond the first verse based on historic assimilations of the anthem that there are multiple alternative versions that have been sung on various occassions depending on the context. We only ever usually sing the first verse, if we're doing two verses it's the 'standard' first and third verse but there are probably over 30 verses that have been written at various times.

So it doesn't matter what you post, it'll never be a definitive version because none really exists although what the Royal Family want you to sing (and therefore probably the 'official' version is'):

God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
God save the King."

But even then we only usually sing the first verse. We almost never sing the second verse and I certainly haven't got memorised as I haven't sung the anthem in over a decade. As an Atheist Republican there's not much in it for me.

The Sri Lankan national anthem is a personal favourite:

Always fun to hear this when there's a test match on.

mday

Truly a remarkable resilient woman. Always sad when someone who is well respected /loved dies but we are all mortal.

However I am a republican & I do not think an accident of birth/money should determine our head of state although she was the head & shoulders candidate in 1952.

I caught a glimpse of her at the Windsor Horse Show in May as my daughter was part of the Fell Pony Society parade. HM was patron of the Society & arrived especially for the parade & left shortly after.

Status
Not open for further replies.