Quandary About a Kit

Chunkaway

Silver Member
So, there is a strong possibility that I will be moving overseas in June. It looks like it will be to a place where I can only bring one drum set. (Far East- Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, etc.. High heat/high humidity.) In addition, we will not have a car, so if I am able to gig, I will have to take a taxi/van/whatever. Additionally, it sounds like I will not be able to play on an acoustic kit at home, so I will either have to set up an acoustic kit at work (setting up and breaking down after each practice session) or I would need to rent a facility, which sounds really difficult to do. All of this will require more loading/unloading/wear and tear on my kit, which makes me want to take a durable kit.

I currently have 4 drum sets (first world problems, I know). I have two C&C kits, which I love, but both are on the "fragile" side of things. (One is a lacquer that is AWESOME, but I have to be incredibly careful with it or else it gets scratched, dented, etc.. The other is a wrap that, for some reason is also very fragile. It seems to be a thinner wrap than other drum companies use.) I also have a couple of vintage kits, one of which will definitely be sold as it is a problem child of sorts, and the other will stay with my mom, as she has been taking lessons from me and would like a drum set to mess around on at her house. (She's 66, by the way!) I'd probably steer clear of a vintage kit as it would be difficult to repair, buy parts for, etc... if I'm living 8000 miles away from the states. My in-laws have a cabin where I will be able to keep a kit for when we visit for several weeks in the summer.

So, here is my issue. Due to the weather, the frequent moving of a kit in our new location, etc.. I'm wanting a durable kit. I MUST have a kit with a vintage sound. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of modern sounding kits, just not my thing. I was thinking about selling one of the C&C kits, one of my vintage Ludwig kits and buying a Ludwig Legacy or DW Classic or some other durable vintage sounding kit. I have had a Legacy kit before, and I thought it sounded good and it was very durable. (I would probably want to do a burgundy sparkle wrap, which would require me to purchase the wrap separately and then have Ludwig put it on.) I have owned a DW kit and it was probably the most durable kit I have EVER owned. (Wasn't a huge fan of the Collector's Series sound though.) My wife is pushing for me to take one of the C&C kits because I like them so much. Her thinking is that if something happens to it overseas, we can deal with it at that time. (I don't think she understands how difficult that will actually be, but maybe I'm wrong.)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights.

larryz

Platinum Member
Get a Gretsch Renown '57 bop kit w/snare while they last. $700 or so including shipping from a few different vendors on ebay. I got the blue/white combo. Warm sounding, great deep snare. Portable enough I'd think. Can't say enough good things.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I should have said I'm definitely looking for a 22" kick. (And I would prefer one that was 14" depth, instead of the 18" thing.) I will say, I think the Renown kits are terrific, although too modern sounding for my tastes.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Chunk..I would stay with a legacy kit,and the burgundy wrap is just as beautiful as it is durable.Selling the vintage kit is something you may regret.We've both seen how many time guys regret doing so.

Leave a kit at moms,put the rest in storage,or leave then with trusted friends or relatives.You have great drums kits,and althoug it seen like you mat be abroad for a while,things can turn on a dime.

Leaving the kits in starage allows you to chose a friens/relative to act as a broker,should you choose to sell any of your kits.Just my 2 cents.Best of luck.:)

Steve B

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Chunk..I would stay with a legacy kit,and the burgundy wrap is just as beautiful as it is durable.Selling the vintage kit is something you may regret.We've both seen how many time guys regret doing so.

Leave a kit at moms,put the rest in storage,or leave then with trusted friends or relatives.You have great drums kits,and althoug it seen like you mat be abroad for a while,things can turn on a dime.

Leaving the kits in starage allows you to chose a friens/relative to act as a broker,should you choose to sell any of your kits.Just my 2 cents.Best of luck.:)

Steve B
I appreciate the comments and insight, Steve. If we go, I have to sign a two-year contract, but beyond that, things are open. I'm really going to consider your suggestion, so thanks for offering it up.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm siding with your missus here, Chunk. Take one of the C&C kits.

What's the point of a kit you love so much never being used? I know something may happen to it, but it may not either. At this stage it's nothing but a big "if".

Personally, I'd take the drums that make me happy and deal with any potential problems if they ever arise. It's not like you're going to the darkest depths of the Congo, out of touch with humankind for two years.......you can still phone, email and order anything online should there ever be the need.

Anything else is just jumping at shadows IMHO......and only potential shadows at that. :)

jofizzm

If I recall, you're PDX local. Talk to Dave Peterson at Allegra Drums. They have something called tour tuff wraps that they say are damn near indestructible. As for the vintage vibe, I have no doubt he could set you up right.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Another vote to keep the C&C. Two reasons. First, Pocket is always spot on with what he writes. Second, this quote comes to mind.

"I've suffered through thousands of catastrophies, most of which never occurred".

I love that quote.

You're suffering catastrophies. Believe me you will pack that kit so nothing can damage it because you love it so.

I have thin shelled re ringed lacquered drums which don't get cased anymore and get driven all over creation, with no ill effects. Don't worry, everything will be OK. Don't let the fear of something that probably won't happen make you do something stupid like sell the C&C. Just pack them like Ralphie's Mom dressed him for the snow in "A Christmas Story"

Chunkaway

Silver Member
If I recall, you're PDX local. Talk to Dave Peterson at Allegra Drums. They have something called tour tuff wraps that they say are damn near indestructible. As for the vintage vibe, I have no doubt he could set you up right.
That is a stellar idea. My only concern would be cost, as I thought Allegra kits were MUCH more expensive than the Legacy kits. No?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Another vote to keep the C&C. Two reasons. First, Pocket is always spot on with what he writes. Second, this quote comes to mind.

"I've suffered through thousands of catastrophies, most of which never occurred".

I love that quote.

You're suffering catastrophies. Believe me you will pack that kit so nothing can damage it because you love it so.

I have thin shelled re ringed lacquered drums which don't get cased anymore and get driven all over creation, with no ill effects. Don't worry, everything will be OK. Don't let the fear of something that probably won't happen make you do something stupid like sell the C&C. Just pack them like Ralphie's Mom dressed him for the snow in "A Christmas Story"
Wow, that is an awesome quote. Consider it stolen!

You bring up a lot of good points and much to consider. My one C&C kit is my pride and joy, so I'm a little nervous taking it into a completely unknown situation. Since I'm not sure of what things will be like where we are moving, I'd almost rather take a kit that doesn't have the same level of emotional investment. I was thinking that if things work out great, I could always ship over the C&C after a year or two. I don't know, just thinking about not having my favorite kit to play bums me out. Hmm...

jofizzm

I don't know what the legacys run, but a three piece allegra kit, depending on bells and whistles you choose should be in the $2000 to $2500 mark me thinks. He's always been super helpful with me as for working in a budget. Never hurts to ask.