Quality Whiteboard Staff tool?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I've been using a ruler with 5 markers duct-taped to it for too long. I have an old chalk staff tool but do not want to modify it (antique family heirloom).

Anyone use something like one of these that doesn't suck?

LM-1011.jpg

Looking for brand recommendations so I only have to buy it once.

Would prefer to avoid semi-permanent decals.

Thanx

Piece of timber

Appropriate sized drill bit/spade bit

Drill press

...and Robert is your mother's brother.

At NEC in Boston, they have little wooden handles similar to that one that all the markers go into... I think they might have been homemade, as it was just a block of wood with holes for the markers.

It looked like this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/5-Hole-Staff-Liner-Erase-Markers/dp/B0002KTWAC, but it didn't have the nice color.

After reading the Amazon reviews, I seem to remember that teachers always had a hard time getting all 5 markers to line up, and always had to fill in at least one of the lines.

If anyone on here is a machinist, this is your chance to corner the "whiteboard staff marker holder" market!

What if you permanently drew the staff lines on the board with a Sharpie? That way you wouldn't be always drawing a new staff, and having to keep 5 markers standing by for that purpose, removing and replacing 5 caps each time.

And having to come up with a holder.

Maybe try 1/4" black tape as a less permanent alternative? Cleaning is easy, simply wipe the eraser horizontally so the tape isn't disturbed too much. Although writing notation might be a little weird depending on the thickness of the tape.

Bermuda

Piece of timber . Appropriate sized drill bit/spade bit. Drill press

I have friends that have done that, and unless you machine it well, you end up with wobbly lines and have to put tape around the end of the markers to make it snug. Wood is also too heavy for a magnet.

What if you permanently drew the staff lines on the board with a Sharpie?

Unfortunately, if you draw with dry-erase over a Sharpie, the DE solvent will allow the sharpie to be erased. This is how I usually remove sharpie from a whiteboard after some dumbass uses the wrong marker. ;-)

They sell staff decals, but I need the flexibility of changing from staff to grid to blank and so forth.

I have friends that have done that, and unless you machine it well, you end up with wobbly lines and have to put tape around the end of the markers to make it snug. Wood is also too heavy for a magnet.

1. Add a snuggng screw at 90 deg to each hole.

2. Use a bigger/stronger magnet.

Alternate suggestion:

Use clear vinyl overlays with your required staff/grid/whatever printed on the other side of the vinyl.

"Maybe try 1/4" black tape as a less permanent alternative? "

The raised tape is really hard to write on - the pens catch on the tape all the time.

Sharpie definitely gets erased when you write over it.

Some permanent solutions include laser etching, paint pens, or scratching lines with a sharp tool and straight edge. The vinyl overlay sticks on via static, so it can be removed.

Back