Quality of drum shell - finest In your opinion

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I had the hollow log Zelkova snare drum. That was the drum that made me realize that vertical grain wasn't my cup of tea. Sold it with no regrets.

I think I'd go ply before stave TBH. I prefer horizontal grain, I hear a difference.

Stave drums are great for many people, I just can't get on board with them.

I never even heard of segmented before 2013. Up till then, steambent was my big lust.

The very open segmented tone really grabbed me, especially after I learned that they can be repaired.

Story: I ordered drums from Andy and I insisted he nest them and the bass drum arrived damaged pretty bad at one spot. One whole segment was sticking out. The floor tom, which was nested inside the bass drum, it's leg bracket cracked the BD from the inside. It must have taken a pretty severe drop for that to have happened, as Andy put stiff cardboard tubes over the leg brackets. Andy took responsibility, called around my area, and got it repaired locally to me. The repair is undetectable. It's as if the crack never happened.

Yay segmented. Stave or steambent....I don't know if a repair would have worked.

Last edited:

David Hunter

The high end sets that have totally impressed me with their build quality and sound are German Sonor (whether production lines like Prolite, SQ1, Vintage Series, or custom SQ2s), Ludwig Aged Exotics, and my most recent solid ply birdseye maple Doc Sweeney set.

But I could heap equal praise on certain midrange shells as well, such as Gretsch Renown, Yamaha Tour Custom, and Pearl Hybrid Wood/Fiberglass reissues. The bang for buck on those intermediate sets is incredible.

GeoB

Gold Member
Keller shells are great. Then I discovered birch toms

So, i hybridized the kit, the bass drum and the 12" rack are maple. The 10, 13, 16 toms are birch.

The snare is chrome over steel, which I'm still trying little set up changes.

OutlawX

My MIJ Tama Starclassic Maple in Blue Sparkle Lacquer and Yamaha Maple Custom in trans black (gold lug) kits are the highest quality I've seen when it comes to edges, finish, and hardware. I have others, but these stand out quality-wise.

The DW Collector's kit I ordered back in 2001 had amazing edges, but the wrap had issues. Currently deciding what to do with that kit. I started a refinishing job on it, but haven't had time to finish. Even though the shells were penciled FP, Finish Ply, they are still gorgeous.
I have agree with you on the Tama Part. I owned a custom Gold Hardware STARCLASSIC but without reinforcement rings? Wow was they louder and better sounding than any other Maple shell DW

Attachments

OutlawX

Keller shells are great. Then I discovered birch toms

So, i hybridized the kit, the bass drum and the 12" rack are maple. The 10, 13, 16 toms are birch.

The snare is chrome over steel, which I'm still trying little set up changes.
What do you like about Birch ?

dwsabianguy

I think if the contest is for attention to detail, out of my drums, my Japanese Yamahas take the cake. Everything is as simple, lightweight, and durable as possible at the same time. Bearing edges are smooth and even and wonderful, and so are the finishes. The newer Chinese drums also look and sound nice, but I’m not interested in Chinese products.

My German Sonors come in second because the German plastic and rubber has started to deteriorate over time.

Lennytoons

I play Pearl and Gretsch so I'd say Pearl and Gretsch. I have a set of Mapex Meridian Maple shells and I must say they are perfect and beautiful.