Putting down the sticks/brushes for a while

Traditional Grip

I'm at the end of my drumming rope. I decided to make a guest post on the "Jazz ruined my life" blog.

You can read it here, it's currently the newest submission, titled: "I liked playing jazz drums so much I had to give them up."

http://jazzruinedmylife-blog.tumblr.com/

TL;DR - Jazz changed my playing so much that I could never go back. Never found a jazz scene in town, hit rock bottom musically. Now pursuing harmonica.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Imagine the countless college graduates looking for jazz gigs to pay of their student loans. You are not alone!

Funny blog!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
"Jazz did not ruin my entire life, just the musical part of it."

Well, gee, jazz didn't make you go on a country gig and play all the wrong stuff. That was your own creative decision.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Well, gee, jazz didn't make you go on a country gig and play all the wrong stuff. That was your own creative decision.
I try to warn people about how bad of an influence jazz is. It keeps you out late, makes you question authority, and prevents you from hammering home money beats. If jazz jumped off a bridge, in 7, would you jump too Traditional Grip?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yeah, well, it all makes sense to me. I've been there and done that.
I played jazz for a few months and figured out real quick that there are only about 10 non-musician people in Phoenix who enjoy listening to jazz.
So I got out of the jazz scene real quick.
However, there is one good thing about jazz. Jazz etiquette says the drummer gets a solo in almost every song.

By the way, I’m glad you quit; it means more gigs for me.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I remember seeing a scene from that movie "Hail Hail Rock n Roll!" that featured Chuck Berry, along with Keith Richards and Steve Jordan, and Keith and Chuck were playing some jazz that sounded pretty good. When they were done, Chuck tells Keith he should've played jazz, and Keith laughs back, "There's no money in it!"

Made me question why I was working so hard on my jazz chops back then. Just for a moment. I mainly have jazz chops so when I go into a Guitar Center, I can get attention ;)

Traditional Grip

"Jazz did not ruin my entire life, just the musical part of it."

I didn't play a jazz beat to country songs. I played the country style, but added my own jazz flavor to it. It's like my hands did it automatically. I could't stop throwing in ghost notes and more jazz-like fills.

Jazz penetrated my style so much that no matter what genre I was playing, it came out. It takes so much discipline to learn and study that it took up all my practice time. It's so much fun to play that I got addicted. Once I got immersed into jazz I couldn't bring myself to play "less creative" genres.

Traditional Grip

Imagine the countless college graduates looking for jazz gigs to pay of their student loans. You are not alone!

Funny blog!
I've played with many Jazz Studies majors.....in my garage!

They all thanked me for inviting them out and getting in playing time.....in my garage. 4 years of school and that's what it got them, playing time in my garage.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I can sort of agree with this. Death metal has caused me to have to work VERY hard to not play too fast, or overplay 99% of the time. I am so used to every fill being dense 2 bar fills, blast beats, double kick etc that when I am laying down a groove I tend to fill it full of ghost notes and am waiting for the next over the top fill..

I just play other styles to get used to holding back. It has actually improved my metal playing too. If you only play one style all the time it's bound to happen. A pop drummer sitting in at my gig would feel out of place having to be so over the top all the time.

Jazz drummers get a solo every song or 2, and I get to go as wild,loud, and fast as I want... I feel like these are the 2 styles that mostly cater to other musicians, but I'm not in it for making it big. I just love to play.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Reminds of this tired joke:

Rock guitarists play 4 chords for thousands of people.

Jazz guitarists play thousands of chords for about 4 people.