Put your weird tendencies here

8Mile

Platinum Member
I guess this is a little redundant with regard to the thread about "post your weaknesses here." Except not all tendencies are necessarily bad, maybe just idiosyncratic to you. I got to thinking about this because I record myself a lot and I find that it's a great way to gain insight into one's own tendencies. Here are the things I've noticed I do. Some of them bug me, so I work on them, but some of them take a lot of focused effort for me to overcome.

1) My count-ins are a few BPM slower than when the drums actually come in.
2) At certain tempos, when I open and close the hi-hat, I tend to close the hats a little late, especially when the closing of the hats is in unison with a backbeat. This makes the backbeat a little late as well.
3) I have trouble with a 2/4 feel. Think Memphis by Johnny Rivers. It actually doesn't sound that bad on playback, but I never feel comfortable while playing it, like I'm on the edge of everything falling apart.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I dunno, I play really cool shit and groove like a mofo.

In my regular surroundings I'm quite weird as sjust jamming and making it work isn't something most people know how to do or want to do anymore. It's all about being "authentic" (to a fault if you ask me), and/or dong things the way they've always been done in that enviroment. No wonder there a's issues when it comes to inspire and motivate the next generation.

"I like jazz....and maybe 3 people." - Tommy Igoe

Ekajimmy

I dunno, I play really cool shit and groove like a mofo.

In my regular surroundings I'm quite weird as sjust jamming and making it work isn't something most people know how to do or want to do anymore. It's all about being "authentic" (to a fault if you ask me), and/or dong things the way they've always been done in that enviroment. No wonder there a's issues when it comes to inspire and motivate the next generation.

"I like jazz....and maybe 3 people." - Tommy Igoe
+1

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
3) I have trouble with a 2/4 feel. Think Memphis by Johnny Rivers. It actually doesn't sound that bad on playback, but I never feel comfortable while playing it, like I'm on the edge of everything falling apart.
I have exactly the same feeling on 2/4, but for me, that applies to even the most simple shuffles too, so I'm putting it down to a lack of gig miles with those grooves. Essentially, they don't "live inside me" to the same extent as other grooves I've been playing forever.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm right handed and when I play brushes, I use reverse traditional. I always thought that qualifies as weird.
Not weird Uncle Larry. I can't play traditional grip with my left hand. I can play it right handed just as fast as matched. I tried it on the pad one day and it felt completely natural. The strange thing is, I've never used or practiced it. Left handed, I can barely hold on to the stick.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Not weird Uncle Larry. I can't play traditional grip with my left hand. I can play it right handed just as fast as matched. I tried it on the pad one day and it felt completely natural. The strange thing is, I've never used or practiced it. Left handed, I can barely hold on to the stick.
If this doesn't qualify as a weird tendency...then I don't have any. Wait, this is me, I'm full of weird. Outside of drumming.

I can play traditional with my left hand, but don't. It doesn't suit me. It just feels better to me playing reverse traditional with brushes than it does using matched or normal traditional...I still think it's wacky.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Wierd Tendancy:

I am compelled to make my own drumless tracks to practice to. I had tried some of the youtube drumless-covers my first year playing, and it really didn't click with me. It was as if I held some preconceived notion of what the drums should sound like, and the result was that I would always focus on achieving that feel/sound instead of the quality and consistency of my playing. When I make my own, it liberates me from this, and I get to focus on my mechanics/timing/playing without being distracted by the delta between my results and some imaginary unattainable standard.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Though I rest my foot on the hi hat pedal I grip the chain between my big toe and next and directly move the chain-so I can control it better.I guess that's weird. I've always experimented with my drums so I years ago I tried putting my 16 in foot tom in snare position and my snare was angled in hi tom position (and yes I had to reach to cross stick and about impossible rim shots) but it was short-lived for obvious reasons-it was too weird. It use to not bother me to use two different size sticks -so mix a 5A, 5B, and 7A randomly grabbing two sticks out of my bag-I actually did that for years till it started bothering me and I noticed a difference.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Abilty to come up with great grroves when playing on things that aren't drums and can't recall them when I sit down behind the set.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I tend to shuffle my throne position multiple times during a gig, yet it never needs altering.
I constantly move my throne too. Never really thought about it until now. The part that gets me is I spend a few minutes before playing meticulously making sure it is perfectly centered.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I constantly move my throne too. Never really thought about it until now. The part that gets me is I spend a few minutes before playing meticulously making sure it is perfectly centered.
I spend almost no time positioning during setup, so I get the 1st adjustment, maybe even the 2nd, but it's the constant shuffling that I can't figure out. I feel as though I'm always uncomfortable, yet I have a great drum throne, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with where it's placed :(

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I feel as though I'm always uncomfortable, yet I have a great drum throne, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with where it's placed :(
Me, too! And I can't figure it out. It seems as though somewhere in the past I felt very comfortable behind the drums, and I'm always searching for that perfect position again. It's weird. This is something I think I've never actually put into words, but when I read your sentence it dawned on me what I've been doing.

GeeDeeEmm

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
When I use my double bass pedal, I set up the left (slave) pedal to the left of the hihat pedal, not to the right.
Weird? Maybe, but I prefer the HH closer.

Last edited: