Purely lustfull purchase?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
This isn't a what's your latest purchase post. I'm not in the market for anything. I'm just browsing ebay and I see this bronze 6.5x13 Dunnett snaredrum for 1275. I'm in lust immediately. Now..i don't have unlimited funds or the drum would be on its way already. Have any of you seen a piece of gear..new..vintage..out of circulation etc where you just flipped more than usual?. I need to talk myself out of this but it's on my mind nearly all day long. I'm a fan of 13" snaredrums (some of them) not all but this one of them where I'm near beside myself. I could really use input where I'm not alone on a lustful purchase. I'm not set up for PayPal (good thing) but I haven't felt this in a long time. Please someone tell me you owned one and it sounded horrible. 😃

I must be getting older because when I see something I want, it then goes through the justification phase, and a lot of stuff doesn’t survive that anymore. But upgrades happen, like the new PA system, or a new computer/appliance.
I SO needed that. Justification phase. I'll do my best. 😃

I SO needed that. Justification phase. I'll do my best. 😃
Well, if you really want it, I’m not stopping you. I’m just saying that’s what I do. I always thought having one of those Zildjian/Noble&Cooley snares would be cool too - but when you know all your favorite songs were done by Hal Blaine and a Supraphonic, it kinda dampens wanting stuff like that.

I have never played, or even seen one of those snares in person

I must be getting older because when I see something I want, it then goes through the justification phase, and a lot of stuff doesn’t survive that anymore. But upgrades happen, like the new PA system, or a new computer/appliance.

yeah...old age, lack of space, and lack of money are great filters...

I still lust after:
- a 20" K Custom ride
- a "Ray era" Ayotte maple finished drum set
- any vintage Ludwig or Zildjian
- 22 acres of wooded land on the coast of a Great Lake
- a 70's era Jeep CJ-7

I have never played, or even seen one of those snares in person

yeah...old age, lack of space, and lack of money are great filters...

I still lust after:
- a 20" K Custom ride
- a "Ray era" Ayotte maple finished drum set
- any vintage Ludwig or Zildjian
- 22 acres of wooded land on the coast of a Great Lake
- a 70's era Jeep CJ-7
I’m not sure it’s a lack of money though…😎

I’m not sure it’s a lack of money though…😎

for me it is!!

us Catholic school music teachers get payed in prayer cards and a weekly dose of bread and wine....that won't get me an Ayotte!!

This happens occasionally to me. I saw an old and rare British-made Ajax Sea Green Marine Pearl kit on Reverb that was suddenly calling my name. I stared for a minute. The finish looked like Slingerland's Sea Green Pearl from the 1930s. I knew I could afford it, but then I realized, they're all metric sizes, and a PITA to get heads for, so I just moved on. And to be honest, I'm running out of room.

So yes, I see gear I have to have, but then, I rationalize it out and usually come to the conclusion that I shouldn't jump into things.

Last edited:
When I see an old Mapex Mars Pro for sale on my local Gumtree, I just want to get it.

You know the ones with the long lugs?

Finances aren't an issue to acquire one, it's just that I have enough gear as it is.

So ultimately I can't really justify getting one.

On a side note, is there actually anyone who has played them?

@Drumolator........I'm wondering if you have?

Last edited:
I hear you. After a while I was getting sick of being poor and decided to do something about it 😉

I have never done it for the money anyways...I do it because I get to see kids go from not being able to play, to getting into colleges and drum corps...playing in rock bands etc. And I get to play all day as well

Acrylic kits. I was a couple of clicks away from a Pearl Crystal Beat last summer.

There's a sensible voice in the back of my head that reminds me they'll attract every drunken dimwit from miles around and they won't sound as nice as your mapex. But they look cool.

Steambent Walnut Cravs or N&C are the worst. I've got a ply Mapex Dark Forrest Walnut that's a ridiculously good snare but it's that extra 10% sound quality and cream and cherry on the cake that's nagging away!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Guru kits...I had no choice.

I had the same construction imagined for my own dream kit...meaning solid shell with an outer re-ring, light hardware...but Andy was already making them. Much better than I could have done ha ha

My hands were tied. I couldn't not buy them. I bought as many as I could

It also makes me feel good that a great ply drumset is now going for the same money as I paid for the solid shell Gurus. I thought they were a great value for what I was getting.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I went Guru was I knew that kit would free me from any more GAS.

Anything I would get now would be a step down in my mind. That makes it so easy.

Thinking about getting better gear is time consuming, money consuming, and it took me away from practice.

Buying my ultimate dream kit eliminated that for me.

In that sense it saved me lots of time and money and I also had no distractions keeping me from practice.

One of the reasons I went Guru was I knew that kit would free me from any more GAS.

Anything I would get now would be a step down in my mind. That makes it so easy.

Thinking about getting better gear is time consuming, money consuming, and it took me away from practice.

Buying my ultimate dream kit eliminated that for me.

In that sense it saved me lots of time and money and I also had no distractions keeping me from practice.

i fee the same way about my 94 Pearl Masters Custom...I got to order it specifically the way I wanted, and with the idea that "that was it"...the one to rule them all...

and almost 30 years later, it has done that, and still does

i fee the same way about my 94 Pearl Masters Custom...I got to order it specifically the way I wanted, and with the idea that "that was it"...the one to rule them all...

and almost 30 years later, it has done that, and still does

Actually yeah......come to think of it, I'd really love a 90s Pearl Masters Studio in that emerald lacquer.

Minus the snare.

I've always been an excitable boy-throwing caution to the wind-go where no man has gone before-follow and act on that thought of the day (woo-boy) and it didn't work out to good for me. So I'm way more prudent and cautious now. Even sloth-like in making decisions (I worry over every possible permutation) and even performing my duties being slow and cautious. I'm very reluctant to feed my passion for a "new toy" like something for drum, gaming, hunting, fishing, etc. Aversion therapy really does work. I've always wanted a high end kit-but now I'm turning 68 (so that much closer to end) and don't gig-so can't seem to justify feeding my silly passion (esp. now prices have jumped). But then again I think there is a lil Darth Vater on my shoulder whispering "Don't be cheap buy the high end kit, and if you buy a Stage Custom I'll haunt your dreams."

Last edited:
hmmm...I have always been prudent and cautious...and after reading some of the above posts, am glad that i have been so

I don't feel like I have missed out on much in my life though. For the most part, it has all gone "according to plan". I think I am a pretty low key person by nature, so it is all instinctive. I don't need a "thrill ride" to get thrills.

Back