Pure boredom Sunday

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I cleaned my cymbals. If I remember correctly, the last time I cleaned them was about 18 months ago when I lived in my last house!

And dang it, I ran out of the Groove Juice with three cymbals left! Now I have to get more juice to finish all of them. I know there was another person who cleaned cymbals due to just being stuck at home. Same thing with me. But I figure since I got a new shiny kit, might as well have shiny cymbals. I should’ve done before and after shots. Mine had definitely lost their shimmering tones. Now they’re back!1EDE7E67-66B8-4623-820F-FAAFE9B38F2A.jpeg46F7F24B-AC10-40CE-94F6-23646FF8C5D2.jpeg4F6E94F4-48BF-40D0-9408-A801D421BD7A.jpeg

Peedy

Purdy! However, I’m still of the opinion that cleaning doesn’t change how a cymbal sounds. It just makes you THINK it sounds different.

Pete

Peedy

Sure. The one exception for me was a 1957 14in crash cymbal I bought that had an amazing amount of tobacco residue on it. I cleaned it over three days and it shed FIVE FULL GRAMS of weight, bringing it down to a svelt 724 grams. THAT one sounded different.

Edit - I should mention the my motivation for cleaning vintage cymbals is to see what kind of hammering they have on the bottom. No groove juice though. Dawn dish soap first. Next comes one or two applications of Hagerty Silver Foam. Then wash it again with Dawn and dry. Nada Mas.

1-Before.jpg2-After.jpgThe Rig.jpg

Last edited:

Peedy

Hey Bo. I went against my Vintage Leanings and pulled the trigger on a more recent 15in A Zildjian Paper Thin crash. What can I expect? Bright? Long sustain? Etc.

The Post Office drops it at my door this Thursday.

Pete

15in.jpg

Last edited:

Mcdonap

The cymbals and set look great! I love the grain pattern on the drums.

I also like to clean my cymbals - I don't have anything "real" vintage, so I like them to shine. Not something that I do, (or need to do), often.
While i do use and like Groove Juice, For my Paiste cymbals I still have some Paiste Cleaner and Protector. I like those products a lot.

I got a used Paiste 602 flat ride on Friday (!!), and while it looked pretty good I felt I needed to polish it up.

I suppose it could all be mental, but I do think a good cleaning returns the shimmering tones.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The cymbals and set look great! I love the grain pattern on the drums.

I also like to clean my cymbals - I don't have anything "real" vintage, so I like them to shine. Not something that I do, (or need to do), often.
While i do use and like Groove Juice, For my Paiste cymbals I still have some Paiste Cleaner and Protector. I like those products a lot.

I got a used Paiste 602 flat ride on Friday (!!), and while it looked pretty good I felt I needed to polish it up.

I suppose it could all be mental, but I do think a good cleaning returns the shimmering tones.
People argue it is mental, but I don’t think so. You’re taking off dirt that’s in the grooves and collectively muting it a little. So even though I clean them maybe once a year, I’m failing to think it’s mental when I can hear a difference every year.

Peedy

People argue it is mental, but I don’t think so. You’re taking off dirt that’s in the grooves and collectively muting it a little. So even though I clean them maybe once a year, I’m failing to think it’s mental when I can hear a difference every year.
gotta clarify. if you're cleaning out actual dirt, they absolutely your cymbal's gonna sound different. I'm talking about the oxidation darkness. That's just the copper in the metal reacting to the environment. You can polish THAT and your sound isn't going to change. Didn't know you were talking about dirt. (and where are you using your cymbals that you're getting them dirty?)

Pete

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
gotta clarify. if you're cleaning out actual dirt, they absolutely your cymbal's gonna sound different. I'm talking about the oxidation darkness. That's just the copper in the metal reacting to the environment. You can polish THAT and your sound isn't going to change. Didn't know you were talking about dirt. (and where are you using your cymbals that you're getting them dirty?)

Pete
Dirt that gets transferred from sweaty and dirty hands every time you handle them during set-up and strike. You don’t think human hand oils accumulate in the grooves as time goes by?

Peedy

Dirt that gets transferred from sweaty and dirty hands every time you handle them during set-up and strike. You don’t think human hand oils accumulate in the grooves as time goes by?
If that’s all we’re talking about, I wash mine a couple of times a year. Polishing I’m pickier about.