Purchasing drums online: Ebay vs. Craiglist

RobertM

Platinum Member
Is it safe to purchase drums from Craiglist? Ebay seems pretty safe and secure, but Craiglist does not seem to have the same kind of security apparatus about it.

Thoughts?

GimmeABeat!!

Re: Ebay vs. Craiglist

I've bought and sold quite a few things on Craigslist. For safety, I arrange to meet the people in a public place. As a buyer, you get to inspect the item before purchasing it. As a seller you don't have to hassle with the packing and shipping. But, I think you may be able to get more for an item selling it on eBay.

Just my 0.02...

Mendozart

Platinum Member

Well, craigslist is mainly a local sell deal. If you don't mind meeting up with people and dealing with cash, go for it. I generally try to meet up with people in the daytime and in a public area. Every once in a while I'll get someone from another state wanting me to ship something, and its no big deal, as long as they pay with paypal.

Steamer

Platinum Member

Locally Robert all the buyers I know doing the Craiglist route check all the stuff in person listed before laying out the cash. Don't have a clue if any buyer protection is in place purchasing from Craiglist from another location out of town sight unseen {?}.

burnthehero

Pioneer Member

I sold a kit on Craigslist not too long ago and it actually went well. I was very weary about it at, first but the guy I was selling to seemed like a good guy so we met up during the day at a public place and the deal went down perfectly. I've thought about going the ebay route but it just seems like such a hassle and I don't want to have to deal with shipping.

RobertM

Platinum Member

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I found a cool snare via Craigslist, but it's several states away from me. So, I can't check it locally. Without the security stuff via ebay, I guess it makes it more difficult to trust sellers--hence all those warnings via the craiglists site.

Thanks.

Tomtom123

Yes, Craigslist is strictly a local situation with no insurances...but I've used CL to buy and sell a number of items and can't say I've ever had a bad situation. Can't say the same with Ebay.

mrchattr

Gold Member

Yeah, the whole point of Craig's List is to deal locally. That's what keeps it safe. Even if something is a good distance from me, if I want it off Craig's List, I will travel there. I recently went to Long Island (about a 5 hour drive) to look at a set of Mapex Pro M drums in purple to white fade...4 piece kit in GREAT condition for $600. It was totally worth the trip.

Ebay is great, but you can get screwed. The last time I bought a cymbal from there, it took almost a month to come...and I only got it from there because I was promised it in three to five days...I was gigging with a cracked cymbal during that time, and getting annoyed every day. I also bought a set of roto-toms off ebay once that was really old, with a lot of warping of the hardware and stuff...but you couldn't see that in the pics on the site. I've had great experiences with both, but you can avoid the bad ones with Craig's List...you can't avoid them with eBay.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member

I sold my Taye set on Craigslist to a local chap. I would only buy or sell locally using Craigslist for the reasobn you suggested. Most people make the journey to try the merchandise. I drove 1 1/2 hours to look at my Gretsch kit and bought it from a Craigslist seller.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member

Yeah, the whole point of Craig's List is to deal locally. That's what keeps it safe. Even if something is a good distance from me, if I want it off Craig's List, I will travel there. I recently went to Long Island (about a 5 hour drive) to look at a set of Mapex Pro M drums in purple to white fade...4 piece kit in GREAT condition for $600. It was totally worth the trip.

Ebay is great, but you can get screwed. The last time I bought a cymbal from there, it took almost a month to come...and I only got it from there because I was promised it in three to five days...I was gigging with a cracked cymbal during that time, and getting annoyed every day. I also bought a set of roto-toms off ebay once that was really old, with a lot of warping of the hardware and stuff...but you couldn't see that in the pics on the site. I've had great experiences with both, but you can avoid the bad ones with Craig's List...you can't avoid them with eBay.
Yes, I second that. You can still get screwed on eBay. eBay has all these assurances in place because you're dealing with people you've never met selling items you've never seen and you have to trust someone else to deliver them to you, usually for a hefty shipping cost.

I've bought and sold lost of stuff on Craigslist. You can see the item, ride it, play it, plug it in, and get/pay the money on the spot and be done with it. If what you want is within driving distance, Craigslist is a good way to trade.

mikei

Gold Member

I have used both successfully.

I prefer eBay due to its convenience. I have never been screwed by eBay as a buyer and haven't screwed others as a seller. You just have to know how to buy on eBay. I always buy from reputable people.

I have bought and sold on Craigslist but and it has been successful. However, I do not like having strangers coming to my home. Also, I usually do not have time to load up what I am selling and meeting at a neutral destination.

Both are useful and safe if you use common sense when buying or selling.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member

I have actually purchased things from Craigslist out of state. I have covered the shipping. I have have better then good luck. My last one was a vintage TAMA superstar kit. I could not see the snare in the ad but I really was after the toms anyway. I paid 350.00 for it. Much to my surprise when pulled the snare out of ht box it was a 82/83 TAMA Rosewood. This is worth more then I paid for the entire kit. Just be careful and trust your gut, if it does not feel right do not do it.

I have also bought ans sold on ebay for many years, I have had very good luck, but again trust your gut. If it seems to good to be true, it is.

Last edited:

mikei

Gold Member

I have actually purchased things from Craigslist out of state. I have covered the shipping. I have have better then good luck. My last one was a vintage TAMA superstar kit. I could not see the snare in the ad but I really was after the toms anyway. I paid 350.00 for it. Much to my surprise when pulled the snare out of ht box it was a 82/83 TAMA Rosewood. This is worth more then I paid for the entire kit. Just be careful and trust your gut, if it does not feel right do not do it.

I have also bought ans sold on ebay for many years, I have had very good luck, but again trust your gut. If it seems to good to be true, it is.

Man, that is a BEAUTIFUL kit. 350 with the snare. Wow. That was a MUST buy.

Good choice! as my sushi chef says!

By the way, I like your website and dig your pictures of you with DT!!!! Very cool

Kobld

I firmly agree. I've stayed away from ebay all together because of that reason. I may actually purchase a renown from ebay, but the kit is brand new with manufacturer warranty, and not to mention it's a drum shop.

I can't imagine being able to do much about getting a used kit off ebay that's warped or in worse condition than stated. Haven't actually done that before so I donno...

But in saying that this one looks like a sweet deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorgeous-Custom-Pearl-Masters-3pc-Drum-Set-BIN-includes-WH-Snare-Drum/131241782876?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=23848&meid=8402801723951411707&pid=100033&prg=10181&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=161367540606

Again, how would you know? I would buy this in a second if I knew it was for sure that the item is not warped or from 1990's with 5 different owners in various climates...

audioragegarden

Again, how would you know? I would buy this in a second if I knew it was for sure that the item is not warped or from 1990's with 5 different owners in various climates...
Feedback is a solid indicator. And you are able to ask the seller questions if you have any further doubts.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
With Craigslist , it will be a local transaction so you get to see what you are buying before you fork over the cash.

With Ebay, you won't end up in a shallow grave or wake up in a bath tub full of ice, missing a kidney.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Craigslist. You just have to recognize red flags.

I've never purchased from Ebay.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
With Craigslist , it will be a local transaction so you get to see what you are buying before you fork over the cash.

With Ebay, you won't end up in a shallow grave or wake up in a bath tub full of ice, missing a kidney.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Craigslist. You just have to recognize red flags.

I've never purchased from Ebay.
Funny, I just sold a car on CL and I'm now receiving threats of bodily harm and harassing phone calls from the piece of garbage that bought it because something broke 4 days after I ceased owning the car. As soon as he opened his mouth for the first time I should have realized "red flag".

I've dealt a lot of drum stuff on CL, never had a problem. But I never reveal my interests, job, full name, or other details just to be safe. Just stick to the drums and the exchange.

eBay has treated me well but one time the packaging was very poor and the drums got damaged in shipment, no fault to UPS.