Purchase decision. Interested in your perspective.

organworthyplayer337

I am a semi-beginner drummer with (I feel), workable competency. I have a few friends/acquaintances with whom I've traveled with before (I played bass). When I started improving on the drums, I began thinking about the possibility of playing out/gigging/doing small shows like those. I have a nice kit at home and it's too nice to chuck in the back of a car and travel with, I would like for it to stay at home as my studio kit.

There is an item (a snare) in my crosshairs that I would love to try out and that I think would be a great investment. However, for around the same price I could put together a solid travel shell pack/soft cases/heads.

There aren't any prospects of travel/gigging in my future as of yet. Due to me wanting to continue to work hard and improve before I subject the public to my playing :D also the pandemic doesn't help. But I want to be ready and comfortable when the opportunity arises.

I currently have a good snare, but the snare in question has a couple advantages over the ones I have (different tuning system, different depth, different shell material, etc.). And if I traveled, this would definitely be the snare I put on the travel kit anyway.

I guess this is a more 'now vs. plan for the future' type question.

TL;DR: "I would buy....."

A snare drum that would give me a considerable advantage in studio/practice/and live use

or

A gigging kit even though I am not currently gigging, but I will be in the future (circumstances permitting).

This is all just stirring around in my head and I felt like starting a conversation with you guys. :) Thanks!

**I can afford either of these options so this isn't a rash or irresponsible purchase that'll get my lights turned off haha. It's been wisely budgeted and well thought-out. 👍🏾**

I like @J-W's recommendation. Without concrete gigging prospects on the horizon, I wouldn't invest in a second kit at this juncture. Furthermore, I'm not of the opinion that you need a second kit to gig. Pack and transport your current kit with care, and it should remain in mint condition. Accidents can occur, of course, but with proper precaution, you can more than minimize their probability.

A second snare seems an immediately useful option, however. Because the snare is the nucleus of the kit, having a backup generally makes sense. Also, as you mention above, you can experiment with various tunings/heads and broaden your discovery of snare voices. Such revelations might even inspire you to play more, though I'd never advocate relying upon gear as a form of motivation. Doing so can launch an endlessly frivolous cycle.

In any case, I'd go for a second snare at present.

**I can afford either of these options so this isn't a rash or irresponsible purchase that'll get my lights turned off haha. It's been wisely budgeted and well thought-out. 👍🏾**
Can you afford both easily? It sounds like you eventually want to get a gigging set with bags and new heads anyway, so if buying another snare would cut so much into your budget that you can't get the set later, I'd wait and not buy anything right now.
Curious which set you have now and which kind of gigging set you're contemplating. Unless you're looking to get a radically different gigging set, good cases for your current set sound like a good option to me.

What is the snare you have and what is the one you are considering?

So if you aren't playing live, are you doing any studio work? What is lacking in your current snare as far as practice goes?
The snare I currently have is a Dunnett titanium that is 8" deep. I record drums for my own projects so I do a little "studio work". There really isn't anything wrong with the Dunnett; I love it and it does what it does without issue. The snare I am looking into would definitely be a different taste as it is shallower and has a maple shell. On top of that it has a different tuning system that would allow me to quickly jump from tuning to tuning in the studio which would be an interesting in finding the right sound on the fly.

Can you afford both easily? It sounds like you eventually want to get a gigging set with bags and new heads anyway, so if buying another snare would cut so much into your budget that you can't get the set later, I'd wait and not buy anything right now.
I could afford both, but I like to exercise some self-control in new gear purchases haha this question is more about which one to spring for first, cause whichever one I chose, I was going to get the other down the road.

Curious which set you have now and which kind of gigging set you're contemplating.
I'm currently playing a Tama Starclassic (Walnut/Birch combo), and the kit I am looking into is a Yamaha Stage Birch.

Unless you're looking to get a radically different gigging set, good cases for your current set sound like a good option to me.
I do agree that it is possible to just use my studio kit (and get some good cases for it). On the other hand, I have had a bad experience with bringing certain gear on the road and it has left a bad taste in my mouth

I could afford both, but I like to exercise some self-control in new gear purchases haha this question is more about which one to spring for first, cause whichever one I chose, I was going to get the other down the road.
Get the snare. If you can afford both now ..... hopefully you'll be able to afford both at any later time. You can always hold off on the "gigging" kit until when the gigs happen. Or wait until the mandatory 6 months that is the industry standard when it comes to exercising some self-control in new gear purchases. ;) And then get the Yamaha kit.

Buy a Gretsch renown kit that includes the snare. Buying junk will only cause you not to want to play. Used would be best if you're trying to save a couple bucks. They come with good heads right out of the box. Kit w/ snare, set 'em up and play! Something akin to this.......

Back