PST 7- Are they descent for the price?

JustDrumIt

I wrote post, where i asked for opinion about my MCS Meinl set and told that i really like Paiste's sound and some of you sugested me to mix brands. I looked over a coule of shops and decided to get PST 7's. Are they any good and can you tell me which crashes should i get. My set up right now is a 14' MCS hi-hat, 16' MCS crash and 20' MCS ride.

The PST7s are fine cymbals at that price point. You've already got a 16" crash so I'd add an 18" PST7 crash. I've only tried the regular weight, not the thin, and it was good.

Additionally; the 20" light ride makes a great crash. Nice if you're looking for something larger.

Decent "for the price" is a common phrase around here. The problem is that it discredits gear from the outset, suggesting that a drum, cymbal, or piece of hardware is fundamentally inadequate but that its shortcomings are tolerable in light of its affordability. When a conversation begins in that fashion, the analysis that follows is somewhat tainted.

You either like a cymbal or you don't. Based upon the PST7 selections I've heard, they sound like good cymbals to me. Their price doesn't inform my assessment; my ears do. Whether a PST7 crash costs $100 or $400, it will still sound like a PST7 crash. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, get something else. Regardless, be guided by what you hear, not by a logo or a barcode. Marketing can be deceiving. Paying more is no guarantee of greater satisfaction, unless you value status above all else.

Last edited:
That's a good assessment. The PST7's shortcomings are indeed tolerable given their affordability. They suffer from the comparison to 2002s; as if they're "sleeper" 2002s but they are decidedly not. They are however, fine budget/student cymbals.

I has an 18" PST7 for a while. It bore an extremely strong sonic resemblance to my 18" K Dark/Thin. Not exact, but a definite "Wow, that's really unexpectedly close" in terms of timbre/tone/profile. I was quite surprised.

I have a pair of 18" crashes; medium and thin. They're nice together, but I prefer the medium. The thin is a little weak sounding in comparison.

I'll eventually buy more. Since I bought mine they're added the 19" crash, which is tempting, but I'd rather wait a little longer and see if they add some actual 20" crashes to the line. I tried the light ride as a crash and it was a little too gongy for me.

The 19" medium is nice, as is the 17 inch. I pretty much had the whole collection at one time - 16 through 19 inch crashes, hi-hats, rides and effects cymbals.

.... and decided to get PST 7's. Are they any good and can you tell me which crashes should i get. My set up right now is a 14' MCS hi-hat, 16' MCS crash and 20' MCS ride.
I'd probably go with either a 17, 18, or 19 inch heavy crash.

Decent "for the price" is a common phrase around here. The problem is that it discredits gear from the outset, suggesting that a drum, cymbal, or piece of hardware is fundamentally inadequate but that its shortcomings are tolerable in light of its affordability. When a conversation begins in that fashion, the analysis that follows is somewhat tainted.

You either like a cymbal or you don't. Based upon the PST7 selections I've heard, they sound like good cymbals to me. Their price doesn't inform my assessment; my ears do. Whether a PST7 crash costs $100 or $400, it will still sound like a PST7 crash. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, get something else. Regardless, be guided by what you hear, not by a logo or a barcode. Marketing can be deceiving. Paying more is no guarantee of greater satisfaction, unless you value status above all else.

Great Post CM - I for one am tired of responses like “ Great drums/cymbals for the price “. You either like them or not . If the Manufacturer made them more expensive it would not make the cymbals sound better . There are many lower costs options that sound great . The PST 7 line sound really good . Just because they don’t cost as much as 2002s or Signatures doesn’t make them poor cymbals . I know people have budgets and they want to keep within those budgets . Personally I would rather have fewer cymbals I think sound good than a large set of cymbals I may not be completely happy with.

Usable crashes and hi hats.
Rides are thin sounding and lack character.

I haven't heard PST 7s in person, but I have a PST 5 ride. I have a few other much higher cost rides, but my PST 5 ride, when I need volume and a great bell, is my best ride.

Great Post CM - I for one am tired of responses like “ Great drums/cymbals for the price “. You either like them or not .
I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to responses like that because people have been rank ordering things for thousands of years. Some things are objectively better than others and there's just no getting around it. Simply saying that one either likes something or one doesn't lacks nuance and ignores the fact that quality, utility and value exist on a continuum.

Last edited:
sound should always be first and foremost when buying something which the sole purpose of is to make sound which is pleasing to your ear. One studio I played in had a Paiste 502 ride ( which i fell in love with) a few zildjian A crashes and sabian hats. The kit was a ludwig, and the snare was a Pearl Stewart Copland model. They all sounded great together, Im too anal to mix brands in the real world myself but really its all about sound.

If you like a darker sound on a budget, find the older thin PST5's, 14, 16 and 18's (not the new medium or heavys), use the 18 as a crash ride, perfect great sounding budget cymbals that I think sound better than the pst7's. There a good reason Paiste discontinued them.

completely agree. And as a happy owner of a set of PST 7s thins, I’d say they are decent period.

When I got back into drumming after a way-too-long hiatus, I grabbed a PST 7 16" crash, a 20" ride, and some 14" HH.
I believe they sound substantially better than competitor's similarly priced cymbals.
They remind me of my old Paiste 404s from the late 80s.
I have since upgraded to 602's and Signatures, with a Giant Beat next on my wish list.

Back