Protocol II - for Andy :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear - oh dear. Working on my new shop yesterday from 7:00AM through 12:00AM last night. Supposed to be another damn long full day today Henri, so much to get done, & you go & post this on me. Damn you - bugger!

The body of music I've waited for - for so long - Damn!

I'm getting to about half way through, & I'm enthralled. Love the small club stage setting, & the "real world" sound of the gig. Why didn't they come to London????? Guitar/keys intro second video. What a guitar performance - straight back to the Jeff Beck days.

Will digest the rest later Henri. You & I need to go & see this, even if it means flying somewhere. Love to bring this to LDS. Not kidding, I spoke to the organisers yesterday. I had an email conversation with Simon about last year's LDS. Unfortunately, he could't make it due to scheduling. By pure coincidence with your post, I sent him another mail yesterday about LDS 2014. Let's see what happens.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Great stuff Henri. Thanks.

I know he is playing in LA later this month at the Baked Potato. I really need to go see that show. Thanks for reminding me to get tickets. I hope there are some tickets left by the time I get to buying them.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Great stuff Henri. Thanks.

I know he is playing in LA later this month at the Baked Potato. I really need to go see that show. Thanks for reminding me to get tickets. I hope there are some tickets left by the time I get to buying them.
Extreme jealousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magenta

Platinum Member
Is it wrong to listen to this when you're all by yourself (if you don't count the cats) and applaud?

Don't bother answering that one.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Guitar/keys intro second video. What a guitar performance - straight back to the Jeff Beck days.
Yeah... very much a Jeff Beck like intro, amazing player, however, the song is not from his new album, it's from one of his previous solo album.

You & I need to go & see this, even if it means flying somewhere.
Absolutely, I'd love to see Simon in your company... but surely he's gonna play some dates in the UK, no?

Love to bring this to LDS. Not kidding, I spoke to the organisers yesterday. I had an email conversation with Simon about last year's LDS. Unfortunately, he could't make it due to scheduling. By pure coincidence with your post, I sent him another mail yesterday about LDS 2014. Let's see what happens.
Yes, let see... I would love to see Simon at the LDS, he would be the star of the show :)

Here's the line-up for Fri Jan 31, 2014

The Baked Potato Birthday Allstars

Simon Phillips...Super Drums
Alphonso Johnson...Heavy Bass
Jeff Babko...Massive Keys
Jeff Richman...Smokin’ Guitar
Dave Binney...Sax

Allstar Birthday Jazz
I hate you Bon...

Say hello to Si from me :)

So great to see performance of this quality in a cozy setting like this. Photo's taken from Simon's personal FB page.
Agreed, nice and cozy place, I wish I was there...

... great pics Andy :)

Is it wrong to listen to this when you're all by yourself (if you don't count the cats) and applaud?

Don't worry Madge I did the same when I watched the vids on YT, everyone was still asleep :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

I will answer it, & no, not wrong at all! For those of us decrepit enough to remember the original Protocol, this is just gold. Madge, if you get the opportunity to see Simon live, & I mean close up & personal, the power, precision, & sheer groove moves you. It moves me like almost no other drummer can. Strangely, that certain something never seems to fully translate to recordings. Can't explain it, it's not a production thing.

Edit: Henri, stick change 4th video, near the start :)

Magenta

Platinum Member
I will answer it, & no, not wrong at all! For those of us decrepit enough to remember the original Protocol, this is just gold. Madge, if you get the opportunity to see Simon live, & I mean close up & personal, the power, precision, & sheer groove moves you. It moves me like almost no other drummer can. Strangely, that certain something never seems to fully translate to recordings. Can't explain it, it's not a production thing.
What, you mean it gets BETTER than this? I'm already on the cusp of dying of Breathtakenawayness.

I've never heard anything quite like this. It's like opera with drums. I may need to lie down.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I may need to lie down.
No fidgeting ;)

Listening to the last link now. I'm taken back 35 years to Hatfield and the North.
Hatfield? Details required :)

Absolutely, I'd love to see Simon in your company... but surely he's gonna play some dates in the UK, no?
Yes, let see... I would love to see Simon at the LDS, he would be the star of the show :)
No dates planned as far as I can make out.

Yes, awaiting Simon's reply, but it may take a while.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Edit: Henri, stick change 4th video, near the start :)
Yes, twice!!! ... without perturbing the groove obviously, it's one of my favourite of this bunch here, it reeks of groove and taste, it reminds me a bit of "The Pump" from Jeff Beck's There and Back album, which incidentally was co-written by Simon Phillips and Tony Hymas (keyboard) at the time, Simon shines in these medium tempo grooves

What, you mean it gets BETTER than this? I'm already on the cusp of dying of Breathtakenawayness.

I've never heard anything quite like this. It's like opera with drums. I may need to lie down.
Mr Phillips is indeed a guy full of surprises, if you want, you can check this thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386, I've put several links of Simon's work throughout his amazing career... it's not better, just a different aspect of this multi-talented drummer :)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, twice!!! ... without perturbing the groove obviously, it's one of my favourite of this bunch here, it reeks of groove and taste, it reminds me a bit of "The Pump" from Jeff Beck's There and Back album, which incidentally was co-written by Simon Phillips and Tony Hymas (keyboard) at the time, Simon shines in these medium tempo grooves
I think this is my favourite Henri. Simple (for Simon) base groove, executed to perfection, & "in song" the guitar solo later in the piece is bristling with passion. Stunning!

Magenta

Platinum Member
No fidgeting ;)
BAD man!

Mr Phillips is indeed a guy full of surprises, if you want, you can check this thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386, I've put several links of Simon's work throughout his amazing career... it's not better, just a different aspect of this multi-talented drummer :)
You are my favourite person in the whole world today. I'm away with work this evening, when I shall have to be sociable with people I've never met before. I am going to have a headache quite early on, go back to my room and listen to every single link on the thread, and with any luck it'll put me in a reasonably good mood for Monday.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Thanks for posting this Mad (no need for dictionaries here). I'm a huge Simon fan since I saw him with the Who at Giants Stadium circa 1989. When the drums came in on Amazing Journey, that Stadium shook to its foundation. I wasn't aware of his latest effort til your post. Downloaded the CD from iTunes earlier today.