Pros/Cons for using "Extended Footboard" for average sized feet

GCRoberts

I'm going to purchase a DW Hi Hat Stand and a DW Double Bass Pedal (both 9000 Series). Unfortunately, I can't go to Guitar Center to try pedals right now for obvious reasons. I have heard a few reviews stating the the DW Hi Hat Stand has a steep slope to it, which I would think would be a little less with a longer pedal. So I guess I'm trying to determine if there are any reasons why an extended pedal would be bad for average sized feet (size 10 shoe).

A standard footboard with a heel plate has a different feel than a longboard with no heel plate because the hinge is moved back, thus moving the fulcrum and point of rotation. It's not a big deal really, it's more preference than anything. One is not faster or easier than the other.

If it helps, I use a Pearl Powershifter pedal. It has the standard footboard/heel plate setup, and I wear a size 12. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I wear a size 12 as well and I prefer longer footboards. Thus said, all of the above is correct. Even if it is hard right now, try for yourself!

You should be able to adjust the 'steep slope' of most high quality hi hat stand pedals, if that is the worry.

You should be able to adjust the 'steep slope' of most high quality hi hat stand pedals, if that is the worry.
If I'm not mistaken, you can't adjust the slope of the DW Hi-hat pedals that I'm considering. I'm not too concerned as the slope looks pretty much the same as my "entry level" Pearl pedal. I'm currently playing on a Pearl SoundCheck kit which is approx 8 yrs old.

Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy. Buy them and try them at home.

My guess is you'll love them.

Return them if you don't, save the packaging.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going std length pedals. Just ordered a DW 9000 series double bass pedal (DWCP9002DBl) and a DW 9000 series hi hat (DWCP9500TB). Also ordered a DW 9000 series throne (DWCP9120AL). No excuses now, not that I ever did make excuses for my playing! ;-) A few days ago I had ordered the Zildjian K Cust Dark 5-pc Cymbal Pack. Since I spared no expense on the cymbals and pedals, I couldn't afford to get the shells yet. I just ordered a 6.5" x 14" DW Performance series Snare in Cherry Lacquer. Will buy the other shells when I pay off some of what I just spent!

Man that is some serious gear spending. It should be good though. K Custom and DW heck yeah.

Moved up to longboards about 8 years ago. I'm a size 10 (UK) shoe and whenever I end up playing a ´normal´ length pedal again somehow, it feels like I'm playing a weird miniature pedal or a toy and I lose half the power and volume I usually get from longboards. Really bizarre feeling!

I’m a size 9.5, and reg. Length pedals take me a while to play with shoes on, but if I play with socks I got no problem sliding and doing everything I can do, except the occ toe hitting the chain, with longboards, I find the center of balance more towards the center than above center.

Back