Pros and cons of snare strap: mylar strip, cord, grosgrain

What are people’s opinions on the blue coated wire cords that are supplied with some Puresound snares?
I’ve used them on some drums because they’re thin and strong, but they don’t stretch at all and I feel like they might cut a groove into the snare bed.

I’ve used all three (cord, plastic strap, fabric strap). I don’t like how the cord can damage the bearing edge. I don’t like how the plastic strap always slices my soft, delicate skin. I don’t like how the fabric coils up and is difficult to re-thread after a head change. Because of this, I’ve decided to incorporate the new Mapex Magnetic MicroMesh that holds the snappy flush to the head. Example below, with the Starclassic Snappy.

05680C24-35CE-492D-9BD4-05D493A27439.jpeg

I’ve used all three (cord, plastic strap, fabric strap). I don’t like how the cord can damage the bearing edge. I don’t like how the plastic strap always slices my soft, delicate skin. I don’t like how the fabric coils up and is difficult to re-thread after a head change. Because of this, I’ve decided to incorporate the new Mapex Magnetic MicroMesh that holds the snappy flush to the head. Example below, with the Starclassic Snappy.

View attachment 95526
I still see string going over the bearing edge. What do these wires do differently?

I still see string going over the bearing edge. What do these wires do differently?
He's talking about the StarClassic wire set. You can hardly see that MicroMesh.
Ouch! My bad. No one got my Mapex Magnetic MicroMesh joke (and here I thought I was on point with amazing humor). My apologies if anyone spent the afternoon searching for vapor. The "joke" was inspired by the over-engineered (IMO) Mapex magnetic tom mount. Next time I'll try to be even more outrageous.

Back on track: The Tama snappy has that little handle that a ribbon wraps onto and it does a good job of pressing the wires onto the head. A plastic strap won't work with it.. Regarding kevlar string, I like it 'cuz I can get the snappy plates perfectly aligned/parallel to the snare shell, but when they're cranked tight they can make a depression on the bearing edge.

Okay, back to biz.

Cord is the only strap I can set the snare with evenly.

Cord is the only strap I can set the snare with evenly.
I have a trick I use to get cord or anything else even. I use the strainer. Meaning I make the snares too tight, then drop the strainer, then loosen the side that's too close to the bearing edge (just a little!) then let the strainer determine the alignment. When I'm happy everything is centered and aligned, I tighten er down.

I don't know if this is common, I just assumed everyone did it.

I split the difference.

I use the Canopus Belt snare wire straps.

It’s shaped liked the Mylar straps but still flexible like snare wires.

I put them on all my snares and feel they are the perfect mix of the 2 main options

Ouch! My bad. No one got my Mapex Magnetic MicroMesh joke (and here I thought I was on point with amazing humor). My apologies if anyone spent the afternoon searching for vapor. The "joke" was inspired by the over-engineered (IMO) Mapex magnetic tom mount. Next time I'll try to be even more outrageous.
It was a good joke. I was playing it dry, trying to keep it going. Someone's got to make light of this stuff. Nothing wrong with the discussion, but as always, you've got to try it yourself to figure it out (whatever it is), and what works with one will not necessarily work with another

Back on track: The Tama snappy has that little handle that a ribbon wraps onto and it does a good job of pressing the wires onto the head. A plastic strap won't work with it.. Regarding kevlar string, I like it 'cuz I can get the snappy plates perfectly aligned/parallel to the snare shell, but when they're cranked tight they can make a depression on the bearing edge.

Okay, back to biz.
Lol you got me too!

I split the difference.

I use the Canopus Belt snare wire straps.

It’s shaped liked the Mylar straps but still flexible like snare wires.

I put them on all my snares and feel they are the perfect mix of the 2 main options

Oooooh are they a little stretchy? I always wondered what a stretchy material would be like. Duh, that’s what I like about the strings I guess. I’ll be ordering these tonight

...but as always, you've got to try it yourself to figure it out (whatever it is), and what works with one will not necessarily work with another.
Exactly! I wish I had a $700 laying around and I’d buy & try every bass drum head that interests me.

Side note, I bought a set of Trick brand snare cords made of stainless steel wire with a teflon coating, just to try them out. Their claim is that the wire is super durable for hard hitters, while the plastic protects your head and snare bed. IME both claims are false.

First, the wires did dig into the head, cutting grooves in. Then the wires snapped at the point where they clamped at the butt. I tried again, since the pack came with two sets, and the same thing happened just a couple days later!

Meanwhile I have fabric ribbon and cord that has lasted several years of steady use.

I only use cord.
I used to use Ludwig's gold cord, but it has been changed.
I've used a Kevlar paracord (size "micro" 1.18mm 1/20--yellow) for almost 2 years now.
I used other paracord types, which are also excellent, but the Kevlar does not stretch, so there isn't any break-in period.
It doesn't really "wear" either.

The only "drawback" is that it's kind of difficult to cut.
My solution is razor blades to cut, and a dab of hot glue on the ends to seal the cut, since it doesn't melt like other cords--it's flame resistant 900°.
The cord gives me the most "transparent" snare sound to my ears.
I hate plastic strips, Grossgrain ribbon is ok, but I prefer cord.

Last edited:
Back