Pros and cons of snare strap: mylar strip, cord, grosgrain

C.M. Jones

I've used a bit of everything over the years, largely dependent upon what Pearl installs on my snares at the factory. I currently own two snare drums -- both of which are Pearl Session Studio Select 14"x5.5" (one in Natural Birch finish, the other in Barnwood Brown). The snare wires of both are fastened with cords. I'm just fine with that.

dwsabianguy

I use cord religiously. It puts just a touch of torque on the clips to push them into the head, and stretches more than cord, so I find it to be a more sensitive, more forgiving sound that doesn't choke as quickly as straps do. And I can't say I've ever had any issues caused by any thickness of cord.

Al Strange

My latest Premier snare came with strings attached but ultimately I opted to put a strap on...Mylar being my strap of choice...TBH I always have cord and straps in my stick bag and use them randomly whenever I need to replace... :unsure:

Edit: I don’t use either for my Prem 2000...obviously!:rolleyes::)

Bozozoid

Well?..i got lazy through the years and went to straps just so I wouldn't have to get anal about the chord (which I was) I just said f-it..these straps work fine on my fat-cats. Been using straps forever now. Every now and then that still small voice taps me about chord though.

TJK

Cord #1
Grossgrain a very close #2
Mylar, absolute garbage unless you are a very heavy hitter. Really hate how Ludwig uses it on the supras out of the factory when they make the great cord. Almost returned the hh bronze 6.5 I got 20 years ago it sounded so flat and dead. Got a spool of Ludwig cord years ago that will be handed down to a grandchild if they so choose to play.

Cord #1
Grossgrain a very close #2
Mylar, absolute garbage unless you are a very heavy hitter. Really hate how Ludwig uses it on the supras out of the factory when they make the great cord. Almost returned the hh bronze 6.5 I got 20 years ago it sounded so flat and dead. Got a spool of Ludwig cord years ago that will be handed down to a grandchild if they so choose to play.
Likewise. Except, I have broken mylar straps due to the slots of the snare wire ends being too sharp. Regardless of how hard I was hitting. I like the ease of gros grain, and, as stated above, it's gentle on reso heads and beds. Strings are the best, depending on the type of strainer and beds, and allow for even tension across all strands, unlike straps, which tend to put more tension on the middle strands of wire.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Straps, strings, ribbon, have a effect on the sustain of the reso head. The lesser the material the more sustain. The more material the less sustain. Just like a wide wire vs a thin one. On my A&F drums I have to use string. On others, if the drum is too bright or pingy, different than ring, I might use pure sound straps. The cloth ones with clips. Never had any problems with them BTW. Not enough ring, I might use string to help open up the drum. I use the mylar straps too. This is just one thing I do to help shape a sound, Not the only thing. Don't use cable on wood drums!! Bad juju!

johnjssmith

With cord I find you have a bit more sensitivity, but a bit more sympathetic resonance, while with straps (I use veeery thin poly ribbons) you get a bit more of a controlled sound and a bit less resonance from the bottom head, so a bit less sustain.

What I use depends on the snare - on my black beauty-like NoB I use cord, and on my 13x3.5" steel piccolo tuned higher than the moon I use straps.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Do any of these choices do a better job of reducing sympathetic snare buzz?
Doubtful, but an interesting thought. The buzz comes from the wires and head. All these do is hold the wires. You would need to do something about the head/wires connection. As long as the wires and the heads touch, one acts directly on the other.

bongoman

One of the many factors that go into snare buzz is how much the wires press into the center of the head. A thicker cord will cause the wires to bend at a different angle than a thinner cord or strap.

I find tuning has a much bigger impact, so that’s what I’d focus on if you’ve got too much sympathetic buzz. But technically yes the cord can make a little difference.