Proposed Trade Renown for Genista. Yay or Nay

CYP47

I like my Renowns but Im not thrilled with them. I put them up for sale/trade along with a USA Custom Bronze snare 6.5x14. I have the following trade offer...

My Renowns RN1
14 FT
22 BD
USA Custom Bronze Snare

Premier Genista 90's the good version
14 FT
16 FT
22 BD

I have really really been missing a 16" FT and cant find one in the Renowns.

What do you guys and girls think?

I have already said yes but getting some cold feet for whatever reason

IBitePrettyHard

I wouldn't do it. The lack of a 16" floor tom isn't enough to warrant a trade for an older kit that may or may not be to my liking. Genistas were good, but they were good by 90s standards. Unless you're specifically familiar with the sound of Genistas and know what you're getting, I would stick with the Renowns.

I would even buy a 16" floor tom that doesn't match before trading the entire kit away. Having 1 drum that doesn't match isn't the end of the world. Maybe you could find a Renown floor tom that comes close enough, or re-wrap it to match?

CYP47

I wouldn't do it. The lack of a 16" floor tom isn't enough to warrant a trade for an older kit that may or may not be to my liking. Genistas were good, but they were good by 90s standards. Unless you're specifically familiar with the sound of Genistas and know what you're getting, I would stick with the Renowns.

I would even buy a 16" floor tom that doesn't match before trading the entire kit away. Having 1 drum that doesn't match isn't the end of the world. Maybe you could find a Renown floor tom that comes close enough, or re-wrap it to match?
Thought about buying a non-matching FT. My end game are Signias. I should have just bought them in the first place. I like Genistas but most likely wont be satisfied with anything until I get Signias again. Sadly its not a wrap finish, its a lacquer

IBitePrettyHard

Thought about buying a non-matching FT. My end game are Signias. I should have just bought them in the first place. I like Genistas but most likely wont be satisfied with anything until I get Signias again. Sadly its not a wrap finish, its a lacquer
What lacquer finish?

CYP47

I would take the Signias in a second over the Renown . The British made Premier Signia are fabulous drums .
If this was a trade for the Signias its a no brainer. Its for the Genista though which also fantastic drums but to me, not Signia

I have had my Renown since 2007 and love it. I picked up a 90's Genista last year and it was a nice kit and I was interested to try one. I have multiple kits and was thinning out the herd. The Genista was sold without any consideration given to keeping the Genista over the Renown.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The Renown (RN series like yours) was a good enough kit that it warranted holding on to it till I the moment obtained my dream set. The only real gripes I had were the sizes, long BD, lack of a 13" tom, etc. It recorded well and sounded nice in rehearsal.

If you're in an exploratory phase, a lateral move is fine. Otherwise. Keep saving for your dream kit while the Renown holds you over.

IBitePrettyHard

I dont know if its Tobacco Burst or Autum Burst. Seems that I have seen it listed as both before.

That's a beautiful kit! You should keep it...I think you'd regret it later.

I have RN2 Renowns in 20/10/12/14, and added a 16" floor tom. As much as I like the 20x16" bass drum, I've been mulling over getting the 22x18" because sometimes I miss the extra oomph.

A new 22x18" Renown bass drum is almost $1000 new which is highway robbery. Instead, I've seriously considered saving $500-600 and buying a used Renown bass drum in any finish I can find. That way I can get the sound I want even if it doesn't match. I would have the option to re-wrap it in Vintage Pearl in the future.

CYP47

The Renown (RN series like yours) was a good enough kit that it warranted holding on to it till I the moment obtained my dream set. The only real gripes I had were the sizes, long BD, lack of a 13" tom, etc. It recorded well and sounded nice in rehearsal.

If you're in an exploratory phase, a lateral move is fine. Otherwise. Keep saving for your dream kit while the Renown holds you over.
I think this is where I am at. It wont take forever for Signias, they are vastly underrated and under priced.

CYP47

That's a beautiful kit! You should keep it...I think you'd regret it later.

I have RN2 Renowns in 20/10/12/14, and added a 16" floor tom. As much as I like the 20x16" bass drum, I've been mulling over getting the 22x18" because sometimes I miss the extra oomph.

A new 22x18" Renown bass drum is almost $1000 new which is highway robbery. Instead, I've seriously considered saving $500-600 and buying a used Renown bass drum in any finish I can find. That way I can get the sound I want even if it doesn't match. I would have the option to re-wrap it in Vintage Pearl in the future.
Im on the fence of buying an RN2 close to the finish. There is a 14" on Reverb which I could just tune lower then my current 14" to mimic the 16" I suppose.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I think this is where I am at. It wont take forever for Signias, they are vastly underrated and under priced.
I had a set of signias in the cherry finish. Fantastic drums! I’ve looked at a few signias over the years and most had a fair amount of wear on em....people who owned those really played em!
Hopefully you’ll find a good or great condition set. Have you played them before?

CYP47

I had a set of signias in the cherry finish. Fantastic drums! I’ve looked at a few signias over the years and most had a fair amount of wear on em....people who owned those really played em!
Hopefully you’ll find a good or great condition set. Have you played them before?
Yup, late 90's. Loved them, then I started having kids, no time for drums and sold them. I should have just bought them again when I was getting back into acoustic drums.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Have you checked out British Drum Co? They have strong premier ties and their drums are stunning looking and incredible sounding. The tom sizes are also more practical than the Signia which were pretty much power Tom sizes. I loved my signias but the Tom sizes kinda limited the timing range.

CYP47

Have you checked out British Drum Co? They have strong premier ties and their drums are stunning looking and incredible sounding. The tom sizes are also more practical than the Signia which were pretty much power Tom sizes. I loved my signias but the Tom sizes kinda limited the timing range.
I have, just a bit out of my price range.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Thought about buying a non-matching FT. My end game are Signias. I should have just bought them in the first place. I like Genistas but most likely wont be satisfied with anything until I get Signias again.
I think your statement answers the question. I would hold onto the Renown kit until a suitable Signia is available for your situation.

RickP

Gold Member
If this was a trade for the Signias its a no brainer. Its for the Genista though which also fantastic drums but to me, not Signia
Typo on my part sorry , meant to type Genistas .
Genistas or Signias I would take them over the Renowns