Proper Music

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Everywhere you look someones using 70's music. Films, TV Ads.....Samples....todays so called great artists covering them...it goes on.
Say what you like the 70's was the era of melody either cheesy or serious. It was all catchy and interesting all of it, from Peters and Lee to Kansas to Cool and the Gang, ABBA, Queen, MJ.....melody, without it u got nothing....today, we've got nothing.
nah....there is a lot of great stuff out today, you just have to hunt for it.

For a brief time in the 90's I thought the same thing, then I just got away from mainstream everything...there is a glorious world underneath that bleak, plastic first layer!!!

someguy01

Spotify's Release Radar playlist is a nice thing. The algorithm chooses new(er) music based on the things you've listened to and the things you've liked. Beats the "play to the masses" DJ choices.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Anyone complaining about the state of 'modern' music - go over to www.bandcamp.com and spend a couple of hours going through whatever you like. There are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of releases on there across every possible genre you can imagine all of varying quality but (importantly) available to listen to for free and you can pay for what you want. If you don't like downloads, a lot of artists have physical releases too.

I've been using it for years (and have my own page) and it's where I buy at least 3/4 of my music from now.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I think the cartoon may be misinterpreted to be suggesting that 70s music was better than today's. It's really just saying it made people feel better than today's music makes people feel. I honestly can't argue with that.

Last edited:

felonious69

I just started Drummerworld in June, I went back to the beginnings of this thread...Saggy pants...
To me, this just seems STOOOOOPID!
I see this every day and all I can think is "This dude is not even bright enough to outsmart a belt!". (or a waist size measurement)
I REALLY wanna see one of these dudes if they ever have to run!
P.S. If anyone remembers correctly, Van Halen even started out in Bell Bottoms!

felonious69

One example of what I see a lot today:
Two times at work, this dude said basically the same thing.
Once I was listening to Give A Little Bit, and the other I was listening to Show Me The Way.
Both times he told me they were not as good as the original.
I was listening to Supertramp and Peter Frampton.
Both times I told him "This IS the original".
He seemed baffled when I told him they were both from the seventies.

Macarina

Silver Member
Not understanding the ’Proper Music’ inference.

Anyway... Reading through the posts, I think we can have 2 thoughts at the same time. Yep... the 70’s was a period of phenomenal music... as were the decades before and after.
And today there is some great music made... the difference from times past where the radio and DJ’s played the music, today you as the listener will have to do a little work and discover new music.

SomeBadDrummer

I think the cartoon may be misinterpreted to be suggesting that 70s music was better than today's. It's really just saying it made people feel better than today's music makes people feel. I honestly can't argue with that.
Assuming it has been misinterpreted, do you agree that 70's music is better than today's? And further, I'll add that we choose the music we listen to precisely because of how it makes us feel. Perhaps listening to older music makes us feel better because it also triggers thoughts of certain people, places and things in our memory. Or maybe it's because it's just better than most of what's on the radio or popular in the mainstream.

Old Dog new Cans

I just hope at some point in their lives, younger people take it upon themselves (if they're not being influenced by someone older) to go through the VAST amount of good good music that happened prior to the year 2000.

I was a club DJ for over 20 years. I checked the Billboard charts ever 2 weeks in order to keep up on "popular" music. Whether dance-y, rap, rock, whatever--I did my darnedest to play what was popular. But, I hated SO MUCH of that music. Repetitive, monotonous, digitized. . .

I personally think that 70s "popular" music is CONSIDERABLY better than pop music today. I agree that there is good music out there being made today. But it's not necessarily popular. I've found 3 groups I had never heard of, well more than that really. But I like the 3 a lot. They came up in my YouTube feed. So I agree you have to do some searching maybe, or just get lucky.

As far as I'm concerned, Taylor Swift seems to be one of the most influential musicians in the last decade. I hear her "style" every time I try to listen to "today's music". Makes me wanna hurl.

SomeBadDrummer

That cartoon is only true for people who are only interested in music from the 70’s..

One thing I've learned that declaratory words like 'only' and 'only' almost never mean what is intended or often end up being untrue.

People within the musical environments where i like to hang out could not disagree more, myself included..

Double negatives are a good way to, I like the use here.

The 70’s are by far my less favorite decade regarding basically everything..

So what you're saying is that it's not your favorite decade, including musically and you wish to obliterate it from history with very few exceptions?

And musically, the only really nice things that happened were some nice funk, punk, new wave (late 70’s) and Steely Dan..

Hmmmm, I can only assume you were born after the dastardly decade in question or it simply passed you by. Despite being from ATL I somehow missed out on the rap/hip hop scene and got straight into rock and jazz. What do you typically listen to and play?
:)

SomeBadDrummer

hmm....

I would also add the 1940's and 50's....jazz

and the 1600's - 1700's....classical
The 1960's were the perfect bridge over 1970's troubled waters from the newfound commercial success of the simple-by-comparison 1950's. And let's not forget the bronze age when the cymbal was first used by the Druids ;) to frighten off the enemy without having to fire the trebuchet. Still works.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Assuming it has been misinterpreted, do you agree that 70's music is better than today's?
I need to preface by saying there was and still is great music and awful music.
From a technical standpoint there have never been more incredible musicians than now.
I think metal has only gotten better (and worse) over the years. Same with various R&B subgenres. When I say better and worse, what I mean is music is in many ways better, but too many artists sound the same. A group comes out with something great and a flood of imitators follows.

I think 70 rock was far better than today's rock. In rock music, good songwriting, originality, and genuineness trumps technical musical ability, and I believe these qualities not only peaked but skyrocketed during the 70s. It continued into the 80s as well; Police, VH, U2, etc.

And further, I'll add that we choose the music we listen to precisely because of how it makes us feel. Perhaps listening to older music makes us feel better because it also triggers thoughts of certain people, places and things in our memory. Or maybe it's because it's just better than most of what's on the radio or popular in the mainstream.
I think that's very true. But I meant maybe music made listeners then feel better then than today's music makes people feel. Now days it's all about a catchy hook, listen for a month and move on to the next catchy drivel. Even 70s disco and 80s pop music were, IMO, better than today's pop.

I haven't listened to enough jazz, blues or country to voice an opinion.