Proper Music

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
It's funny when people tell me how Rock music is still current and relevant, and they refer to a recording that's 30 years old. ;)

Yeah, there are exceptions of course, but not a whole lot. I wish more Rock bands could afford to do live albums. The live albums are almost always much better.
Rock music is pretty much dead. Occasionally we have something vaguely interesting but it's now what 50's 'Rock and Roll' was to the 1980s. Something you see now and again as nostalgia. Metal is doing fine (although there isn't much new in metal, just development of what's been there before and more extreme versions of older ideas) but electronic music is booming and very healthy. The fact is that every now and again, the instrumental lineup of what is 'popular' changes and we just have to move with the times a bit or stay with what we like.

The drum kit is still a relevant instrument (it can be used with pretty much anything) as is the bass guitar - so I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.

TMe

...I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.
Moving to new instruments or styles is one thing, completely replacing musicians with machines and replacing original music with rearrangements of old music is something else. Basically, the DJ has replaced the musician in most contemporary styles. That's why I find myself moving to Jazz and Blues. I haven't left Rock behind, it left me.

I don't know of too many Jazz or Blues people who think playing with a laptop is the same thing as playing an actual musical instrument, or who think of recorded instrumental tracks as simply the starting point for a few months of post-production - where the "real magic" happens.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Rock music is pretty much dead. Occasionally we have something vaguely interesting but it's now what 50's 'Rock and Roll' was to the 1980s. Something you see now and again as nostalgia. Metal is doing fine (although there isn't much new in metal, just development of what's been there before and more extreme versions of older ideas) but electronic music is booming and very healthy. The fact is that every now and again, the instrumental lineup of what is 'popular' changes and we just have to move with the times a bit or stay with what we like.

The drum kit is still a relevant instrument (it can be used with pretty much anything) as is the bass guitar - so I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.
I agree with just about everything you said here...except that rock music is dead. If you are looking via the mainstream idea of rock - the top of the pile - then I think that is true. IF you dig to the underground a bit, I think there are some good choices. About once a month, I will come across something that is cool. I think what you said about metal is true of all of the organic genres. To me, electronic music has always sounded the same...that is a genre that is always just stealing from, or "remodeling" a few original ideas. I have tried really, REALLY hard to give it all a chance, but just can't choose to invest time in it. Probably because I am "old"....

bud7h4

Silver Member
"The clothes are horrid" LOL
Plaid bell bottom pants are making a come back
There's always something being said to be making a comeback. I've realized the comebacks last about a week and amount to a runway model freak show and a couple of celebrity weirdos photographed walking to their car holding fashion designer shopping bags.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
There's always something being said to be making a comeback. I've realized the comebacks last about a week and amount to a runway model freak show and a couple of celebrity weirdos photographed walking to their car holding fashion designer shopping bags.
Dont forget the purse dog. There must be some super tiny dog in that fashion designer bag.

wraub

One of my gigs is working for an "alternative" radio station... I add new music all the time, and finding a new band (or one unknown to me) that is consistently good enough to put multiple tracks on the radio can be tough, and we have possibly the least restrictive standards for play of any station in town. I can play, almost literally, anything I want, and I still have some issues finding good new music. Yet, it is out there, and coming out daily.

A lot of "bands" are really "projects" put together on a whim, or because somebody has a good song they don't want to share with their regular band, or because a producer and "partner" made a thing their friends with contacts liked.... But, for every 3 of those, there's a solid band with good stuff to hear.

I say, bring on the new stuff... as long as it's good. :D

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
What the heck is proper music?? It doesn't sound any good-give me jazz, rock, reggae, funk, blues, etc anything but "proper music". Oh yeah Beatles "proper music"-Stones "good music'. Oh I get it now. LOL-flame suit on.
We haven't had much drama lately so I'd thought I'd chime-bunch of scalawags.

SomeBadDrummer

I was a 70's/80's cusp person...

in my early days, I had a steady diet of classical and hippie stuff from my mom's side of the family, and jazz from my dad's side. The first music I remember playing on drums was Dave Brubeck, a ton of Motown stuff, with the J 5 and Temptations being the most memorable. My first concert ever was the Jackson 5 either in 75 or 76...

my friends older brothers got me into Styx, Rush and Kansas. One fateful day, my freind and I were popping around the newly acquired Qube cable box his parents had just installed, and we came across this video of a huge lighted stage set, with 5 guys in spandex and studs, and this awesome drum beat going...next, the guitar and bass came in, and then the words: "The white man came, Across the sea...." Iron Maiden on the young MTV...I literally remember saying out loud to my friend "that is what I want to be"...that was it. The defining moment. He still lives in the house (bought from his parents years ago) and we still talk about that day b/c he said I just stood there for the whole video with my mouth open...

I feel like that cusp era was the seminal time for lots of what we know now...but that is most likely because of the warm fuzzies I get from thinking about that era
Late as usual, but better late...
I can totally relate to this, being a child of the 60’s but “discovering “ rock in the late 70’s. Fabulous

someguy01

pants sagging below a guy's ass exposing most of his underwear, or worse
This trend or whatever cracks me up. 90% of these kids don't know that's a prison fashion message, it's where it came from. It means you're, ummmm, "willing to receive". Just like the one raised pant leg, lookin' or holdin' depending on the leg. Dummies.

jimb

Everywhere you look someones using 70's music. Films, TV Ads.....Samples....todays so called great artists covering them...it goes on.
Say what you like the 70's was the era of melody either cheesy or serious. It was all catchy and interesting all of it, from Peters and Lee to Kansas to Cool and the Gang, ABBA, Queen, MJ.....melody, without it u got nothing....today, we've got nothing.