Proper Music

Noisy

There's a 70's song that fits the 70's song symptoms that some of you have. From 1973, Karen Carpenter (drummerworld listed drummer) singing:

Yesterday Once More

When I was young I'd listen to the radio
Waitin' for my favorite songs
When they played I'd sing along, it made me smile
Those were such happy times and not so long ago
How I wondered where they'd gone
But they're back again just like a long lost friend
All the songs I loved so well
Every sha-la-la-la
Every wo-o-wo-o, still shines
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling, that they're startin' to sing's, so fine
When they get to the part
Where he's breakin' her heart
It can really make me cry, just like before
It's yesterday once more
Lookin' back on how it was in years gone by
And the good times that I had
Makes today seem rather sad, so much has changed.
It was songs of love that I would sing to then
And I'd memorize each word
Those old melodies still sound so good to me
As they melt the years away
Every sha-la-la-la
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling, that they're startin' to sing's so fine
All my best memories come back clearly to me
Some can even make me cry, just like before
It's yesterday once more
Every sha-la-la-la
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling, that they're startin' to sing's so fine
Every sha-la-la-la
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling
Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: John Bettis / Richard Lynn Carpenter
Yesterday Once More lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
It's funny when people tell me how Rock music is still current and relevant, and they refer to a recording that's 30 years old. ;)

Yeah, there are exceptions of course, but not a whole lot. I wish more Rock bands could afford to do live albums. The live albums are almost always much better.
Rock music is pretty much dead. Occasionally we have something vaguely interesting but it's now what 50's 'Rock and Roll' was to the 1980s. Something you see now and again as nostalgia. Metal is doing fine (although there isn't much new in metal, just development of what's been there before and more extreme versions of older ideas) but electronic music is booming and very healthy. The fact is that every now and again, the instrumental lineup of what is 'popular' changes and we just have to move with the times a bit or stay with what we like.

The drum kit is still a relevant instrument (it can be used with pretty much anything) as is the bass guitar - so I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.

TMe

...I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.
Moving to new instruments or styles is one thing, completely replacing musicians with machines and replacing original music with rearrangements of old music is something else. Basically, the DJ has replaced the musician in most contemporary styles. That's why I find myself moving to Jazz and Blues. I haven't left Rock behind, it left me.

I don't know of too many Jazz or Blues people who think playing with a laptop is the same thing as playing an actual musical instrument, or who think of recorded instrumental tracks as simply the starting point for a few months of post-production - where the "real magic" happens.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Rock music is pretty much dead. Occasionally we have something vaguely interesting but it's now what 50's 'Rock and Roll' was to the 1980s. Something you see now and again as nostalgia. Metal is doing fine (although there isn't much new in metal, just development of what's been there before and more extreme versions of older ideas) but electronic music is booming and very healthy. The fact is that every now and again, the instrumental lineup of what is 'popular' changes and we just have to move with the times a bit or stay with what we like.

The drum kit is still a relevant instrument (it can be used with pretty much anything) as is the bass guitar - so I don't see why music moving on is a problem, it's just about adjustment.
I agree with just about everything you said here...except that rock music is dead. If you are looking via the mainstream idea of rock - the top of the pile - then I think that is true. IF you dig to the underground a bit, I think there are some good choices. About once a month, I will come across something that is cool. I think what you said about metal is true of all of the organic genres. To me, electronic music has always sounded the same...that is a genre that is always just stealing from, or "remodeling" a few original ideas. I have tried really, REALLY hard to give it all a chance, but just can't choose to invest time in it. Probably because I am "old"....

bud7h4

Silver Member
"The clothes are horrid" LOL
Plaid bell bottom pants are making a come back
There's always something being said to be making a comeback. I've realized the comebacks last about a week and amount to a runway model freak show and a couple of celebrity weirdos photographed walking to their car holding fashion designer shopping bags.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
There's always something being said to be making a comeback. I've realized the comebacks last about a week and amount to a runway model freak show and a couple of celebrity weirdos photographed walking to their car holding fashion designer shopping bags.
Dont forget the purse dog. There must be some super tiny dog in that fashion designer bag.

wraub

One of my gigs is working for an "alternative" radio station... I add new music all the time, and finding a new band (or one unknown to me) that is consistently good enough to put multiple tracks on the radio can be tough, and we have possibly the least restrictive standards for play of any station in town. I can play, almost literally, anything I want, and I still have some issues finding good new music. Yet, it is out there, and coming out daily.

A lot of "bands" are really "projects" put together on a whim, or because somebody has a good song they don't want to share with their regular band, or because a producer and "partner" made a thing their friends with contacts liked.... But, for every 3 of those, there's a solid band with good stuff to hear.

I say, bring on the new stuff... as long as it's good. :D