Pronunciation thread

For the love of God, please don't add an R to make it sound like Jerful Noise.

Sonor is another good one. I've always said SO-NAR (like what they use on submarines), but have heard it pronounced more like SO-NUR. Problem is I've been saying some of these a certain way for so long that it's hard to change, lol

SONOR-

Sin nor

Sin noir

What about UFIP? I always sounded out the letters (you eff eye pee) because I knew they were an abbreviation . However, I watched a Greenbrier Percussion demo video the other day, and Mr. Whitesides said he was playing some "oooh fip" cymbals. Would someone like to weigh in on this one?

What about UFIP? I always sounded out the letters (you eff eye pee) because I knew they were an abbreviation . However, I watched a Greenbrier Percussion demo video the other day, and Mr. Whitesides said he was playing some "oooh fip" cymbals. Would someone like to weigh in on this one?

You Fip

UFIP-

Universal Federation of Intergalactic Pleiadians

Yes, aliens are in on the cymbal racket too.

I've got another one.

AVEDIS.

I used to pronounce it AHvuhdis (1)

But then I started saying it like AhVEEdis (2)

On two American youtube videos I watched, including Sweetwater's Nick D'Virgilio, it's being pronounced like (1).

On two British videos I saw, they're saying it like (2). And there are comments correcting them that it should be pronounced like (1).

Asking how to pronounce 'Sakae' in another thread got me to thinking about some of the other drum company names. I'm sure there are other threads on this, but oh well, I didn't do a search, lol. I'll start with a few off the top of my head. Feel free to add others.

Taye - pronounced TIE

Tama- I've always said TOM-UH. But I've heard others say TAME-UH. What do you think?

Paiste- from studying German, I believe this to be pronounced PIE-STEE.

Ddrum - I've always said DEE-DRUM. Anyone heard it differently?

Sakae- ???

What other ones are there?

ermergerd-girl-ermergerd-trr-termer-perstr-drrdrm-rnd-srrkrr.jpg

I live in NC, so in the South, we tend to make up our own rules, so here are my personal pronunciations:

Taye - TIE

Tama - TAM-Uh

Paiste - PIE-stee

Ddrum - DEE-drum

Sakae - suh-KIE

Ayotte - ā-YO-tee

Natal - NAY-tel

Dunnett - DUN et (Just like "Done it.")

Yamaha - YAH-ma-ha

Ludwig - LUD-wig

Sonar - SO-nar

Bozzio - Bō-zio

Oriollo - or-e-O-lo

Peart - Either "Pert" or "Peart" with the "ear"-sound.

Avedis - ah-VEE-dus

Here's the one that's going to cause a knock-down/drag-out:

How do you pronounce "djembe?"

Me?

duh-JEM-bay

Oh and by the way,

thanks to everyone for contributing to a thread in which I've read the whole thing either mumbling or while my mouth was moving...

...while at work.

I live in NC, so in the South, we tend to make up our own rules, so here are my personal pronunciations:

Native Spanish speakers have a similar trick to do. My favorite is how we say "Rogers" it becomes "Roy-ers".

I also realized that "Tama" sounds the same in Spanish on account of us having the same vowels as the Japanese "Tama" rhymes with "Mama" as someone said. Apparently it means "round and precious"

Taye - TIE - Check

Tama - TAM-Uh - Check

Paiste - PIE-stee - Check

Ddrum - DEE-drum - Check

Sakae - suh-KIE - Sah-Kay

Ayotte - ā-YO-tee - Check

Natal - NAY-tel - Nah-Tal

Dunnett - DUN et (Just like "Done it.") - Check

Yamaha - YAH-ma-ha - Check

Ludwig - LUD-wig - Check

Sonar - SO-nar - Check

Bozzio - Bō-zio - Check

Oriollo - or-e-O-lo - Check

Peart - Either "Pert" or "Peart" with the "ear"-sound - Purt (Although I know I'm wrong)

Avedis - ah-VEE-dus - Ahv-veh-dis

That one is easy. It Bay-to like in Pay-stee.

(Beato / Paiste)

Only I just saw a video where a guy was named Beato and he pronounced it using 3 syllables. Be-a-to.

I always used 2 syllables, Beat-o

Back